STOCK EXHAUST 2 or 4 door - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

STOCK EXHAUST 2 or 4 door

I had a small annoying exhaust leak so I went to an exhaust shop and asked what it would cost to fix it. He said "I can take out these cats and it'll fix it and give it more power for 200.00" I figured, ok, that sounds fine. I got a call from him 45 min later and he said, 'the cats are wasted and everything went into the muffler. I can replace the muffler for another 175 or put a smaller new one on with a new tailpipe for another 100. I said, "I want it to be quiet." He said it will be so I went with the smaller used muffler and $300 later, I picked up my butchered-ass exhaust having JK. I just took a quick glance at it but wasn't impressed but chalked it up to, "I guess Casper spoiled me?" I take off down the road and hear the absolute worst sounding exhaust I have ever heard!! I make a u-turn and let him know it SOUNDS LIKE SHIT. He says, "bring it back in the morning, I'll make it sound good." FAWK, I don't want him touching my shit.

Anyways, he butchered up my stock "Y" pipe and now I just want it back to stock. Does anyone have one that they took out for a V8 conversion??

PLEASE help me get my Jeep back to normal

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.

Last edited by ASTAR; 02-10-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Holy crap-looks like you took it to a vo-tech training class on the first day of school.:screwy:

Not sure what it costs in CA but i would drag their ass to small claims court:smoking:

They look like Draken welds......

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Really being in cali too. I though you all had crazy strict emisions shit?

I would take it to a real shop if you cant do the work yourself?

Get a used factory y-pipe or save for aftermarket, then do the same on exhaust cat back.

I would NOT let him keep your money thats for dam sure.

Post up the "shops" name so no other guys get screwed over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Its a fed law those cats arent supposed to be cut out. He violated that law. You were a dummy for going with it but live and learn. Bright side is, id bring that up to him and get your money, and the cats he cut out, back from him. Other issue is anything emissions related is covered for 100k miles so if the cats truly were bad the dealer should cover them. Again, kind of late for that, but my point is im betting those cats weren't bad. He turns a profit selling them because most cats are worth 30 to 50 bucks scrap value. Lastly, doesn't Cali have emissions testing? You wont pass now because you need all factory emissions items.

In other words, he fucked you bad.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #5 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yup, I got fucked.
Yes we have crazy strict emission laws and damn it I didn't know smog parts are warrantied for 100K. My Jeep only has like 34K on it...UGH
When he said bring it back in the morning and I'll fix it, I thought well ok but upon closer inspection of this thing, I don't want him to weld ANYTHING on my rig. I didn't know this guy had no clue until I saw what he did to my rig. When Steve Casper (for those of you familiar with the actual Pirates of the Rubicon) did my exhaust work in the past, I thought it was normal. I didn't realize it was so exceptional!!! Damn it Steve, why'd you have to go join the SO?!?!
So this is why I deperately need someone's stock exhaust.

This work was done by American Muffler and Brake in Gilroy. (no they don't have any yelp reviews...yet)

Oh and before this guy did this work, he also said "Oh yeah man, I'll take care of it. I do custom work all the time. Custom headers, ROLLCAGES, you name it."
Please God let nobody be out there with a "rollcage" built by this guy and need it.

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 AM
JKO Addict!

How do you plan on smogging that in California?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Rock God

Damn dude! I saw a guy weld with 2 car batteries and his antenna one time just so he could get his shit off the trail and those welds looked better than what that guy did to your jeep. I would get my money back from them, have some one do it right and send those fuckers the bill.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
Damn dude! I saw a guy weld with 2 car batteries and his antenna one time just so he could get his shit off the trail and those welds looked better than what that guy did to your jeep. I would get my money back from them, have some one do it right and send those fuckers the bill.
I had no idea that macgyver went offroad. thats wild!

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

My 8 year old son can weld better than that. That is some real shit work. I cant believe that shop could even be open after seeing that.

'99 TJ - DPG Ultimate Lift,Ome,JKS,Rokmen arms,35's
Alloy rear axles,detroit locker,Tatton,G2 front axles,Lockrite
'12 Arctic Edition Unlimited- stock for now
'99 XJ 3.5 RE lift and 32s
post #10 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Granite Guru

I have a stock cat back exhaust you can have for a 4 door, but don't have the cat. I know you need the cat and all but if it helps any let me know and I can ship it to you.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Rock God

You need to have a little chat with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They would love to have a sit down with this guy.

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
post #12 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Its a fed law those cats arent supposed to be cut out. He violated that law. You were a dummy for going with it but live and learn. Bright side is, id bring that up to him and get your money, and the cats he cut out, back from him. Other issue is anything emissions related is covered for 100k miles so if the cats truly were bad the dealer should cover them. Again, kind of late for that, but my point is im betting those cats weren't bad. He turns a profit selling them because most cats are worth 30 to 50 bucks scrap value. Lastly, doesn't Cali have emissions testing? You wont pass now because you need all factory emissions items.

In other words, he fucked you bad.
In other news, there are precious metals in catalytica converters. I'm thinking this dude's a drug addict who sold em for scrap to get high. Actually, after looking at those welds, I'm pretty sure he's a drug addict.

If he's the shop owner, give him an ultimatum: " I don't wanna sue you or bring the law down on you, but I want my fuckin cats and my money back . As in right the fuck now NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, go GET THEM. NOW"

If he can't comply, call the cops.

post #13 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post

If he's the shop owner, give him an ultimatum: " I don't wanna sue you or bring the law down on you, but I want my fuckin cats and my money back . As in right the fuck now NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, go GET THEM. NOW"

If he can't comply, call the cops.
That's the plan as of now except the calling of the police. I assume they'll tell me it's a civil issue, not criminal (even though, looking at that work, it's criminal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerMike View Post
You need to have a little chat with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They would love to have a sit down with this guy.
Thought of this too and figured I'd mention it when the ultimatum is given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJK11 View Post
I have a stock cat back exhaust you can have for a 4 door, but don't have the cat. I know you need the cat and all but if it helps any let me know and I can ship it to you.
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. I may have a line on one that's closer but if it falls through, I'll hit you up for it. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
I would get my money back from them, have some one do it right and send those fuckers the bill.
Thinking I'll do this if he doesn't want to refund, then take him to small claims court for the total. I don't know what he did to my manifolds but as you can see, there are small through bolts instead of the stock larger ones that actually thread into the manifold. I'm thinking if I take it to Jeep, they'll end up replacing everything that exhaust runs through and I imagine that will be a hefty bill.

post #14 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, just got off the phone with this guy and told him what I want and he refused. Said he could give me a store credit (YEAH SURE) but wouldn't give me my cash back. I'll never pay for anything cash again. I told him I'll take it to someone that knows what they're doing and have them fix it and take him to court for it. He said "well as far as I'm concerned then, I didn't touch it," and hung up. He didn't give me a receipt yesterday (stupid of me again I know, learned a lot on this one) so hopefully I will still have some recourse.
Thinking about taking a cop over there to get my cats back and getting a report showing that he gave them to me. That outta be good for something in court as far as proof that he did it I would think?
Thoughts?

post #15 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Forget your money and take up long range shooting as a hobby. I sure there has to be worthwhile targets available...

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #16 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Forget your money and take up long range shooting as a hobby. I sure there has to be worthwhile targets available...
Haha JR, nice idea.

Well I went to the PD and got a Civil Standby and told the officer everything that's going on. When I got there, in front of the officer it went like this...

Douche (working on some poor girls car, sees the officer): Can I help you?
Me: I just want my stock stuff back
Douche: It's right there (points at 3 cats)
I grab them
Me: Isn't there 4?
Douche: The other one is over there (points to other side of small shop)
I grab it and see my muffler
Me: Is this my muffler (I make sure to say loudly so the officer takes note)
Douche: Ya

So I grab it and put the stuff in my Jeep.
The officer tells me that if I take him to court, here is the case number and his name. He'll be sure to put in it that my stuff was scattered around his shop and if I need to have him testify, he is available.

So now I'll go to Midas and Jeep and get estimates to repair the abortion the guy did on my Jeep.

Last edited by ASTAR; 02-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

Yes make sure he flips the bill for EVERYTHING, if that involves taking his ass to court, do it.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Wheeler

I've never heard or seen anything like this... Those welds look like bird turds. Best wishes man, that is rough! And thanks for posting this. I need a whole bunch of weld and body work done to my truck and I've never let a stanger come anywhere near it with tools. Thanks to your warning, I don't intend to start. I seriously hope things work out. Good to hear you got all your parts back though!
post #19 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Wouldn't the cats be VIN-stamped these days, considering the precious metals? I would look that up and head over there unannounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Rock God

good for you bro, glad you at least got some of your stuff back and hopefully you get your junk fixed right this time.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow! I've seen someone weld on a trail with their eyes closed (no welding mask) and do a better job than that.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #22 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Make sure you call that cop in to testify as well. The cops I know schedule themselves so that more or less every time they have to appear in court they're getting overtime. They LOVE showing up in court and sticking it to some douche bag.

Pain is the patients' problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode