Wireless router - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Wireless router

Im looking for a CHEAP wireless router to put in the shop if anybody has one laying around. I have a apple airpot extreme and it doesnt play nice with my Fios router
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Im looking for a CHEAP wireless router to put in the shop if anybody has one laying around. I have a apple airpot extreme and it doesnt play nice with my Fios router
They are pretty cheap brand new nowadays... get a wireless B/G/N router and don't look back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124277

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122235

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 16 Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
They are pretty cheap brand new nowadays... get a wireless B/G/N router and don't look back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124277

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122235
Thank you sir im gonna go look at the PX and see what they have, kind of pissed i have a 200 router that wont work lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

I got a Linksys laying around. If your interested let me know. Let me know what your looking at giving for one. used maybe a few months and now back in the box.

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
post #5 of 16 Old 01-14-2011, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

I've got a Belkin? or Netgear? G in a box at home. Never used, has a USB wireless card with it too, I believe.

Just cover the shipping and I'll send it on it's way.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks guys ill let you know. i think my issue is in my wiring. I just got 1000 ft new cable im gonna run to see if that fixes it. the apple router may work for what i want after all .....
post #7 of 16 Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
thanks guys ill let you know. i think my issue is in my wiring. I just got 1000 ft new cable im gonna run to see if that fixes it. the apple router may work for what i want after all .....

There isn't anything wrong with your Apple Extreme....there is no proprietary setups that prevents routers unless you are at a hotel that blocks routers (Which I have encountered). It would either be with your CAT5/6 cabling or the configuration setup. Your FIOS router will give your Extreme an IP based on DHCP setup (dynamic host control protocol....random IP generation). From there you just setup your router however you want to assign IPs (either static with a specified IP to each computer or dynamic with random assigned). The FIOS router only deals with IPs so the MAC of the Apple will not interfere.

I run an Airport Extreme and Airport Express in my house.....the Express extends the wireless range of the Extreme (creating a stronger wireless signal strength/bubble around my house to prevent other wireless routers from interfering with my signal strength and disrupting internet connection). I also have an express for on-the-road travel since I do a lot of traveling. Using linksys routers before because they were cheap only ended in frustration. Since I switched to Apple with everything including MACs I have had no issue. The good part with the Extreme is you can create 3 separate wireless networks broadcasting at one time....one at 2.4GHz (shared network hard drive attached as well as attached printers to the router), one at 5GHz (great since most neighbors are running 2.4GHz routers so no interference and access to shared hard drive/printers connected to the router), and then a "guest" account for visitors where you can limit their access to your network just for internet surfing and no sharing of an external hard drive you have connected to the router or any other printers.

Anyway, can you tell I like the Apple routers! Give me a call on my travel phone if you have any questions....sent in PM.

U.S. Army

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-14-2011 at 04:05 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Wait what cable you running 1000ft? or you just bought a box of 1000ft? cat5 isnt going to work out that far from router, 295 feet is the max. How far you trying to go? You guys get 150mb speed out there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
There isn't anything wrong with your Apple Extreme....there is no proprietary setups that prevents routers unless you are at a hotel that blocks routers (Which I have encountered). It would either be with your CAT5/6 cabling or the configuration setup. Your FIOS router will give your Extreme an IP based on DHCP setup (dynamic host control protocol....random IP generation). From there you just setup your router however you want to assign IPs (either static with a specified IP to each computer or dynamic with random assigned). The FIOS router only deals with IPs so the MAC of the Apple will not interfere.

Give me a call on my travel phone if you have any questions....sent in PM.
this^^^

I've got a brand new wireless fios actiontec router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"

Last edited by tkob1060; 01-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well I got All new wire pulled 2 250Ft sections one for Phone and one for the router. And Viola it works perfect . Im a retard at network settings lol but apple little assitant did all the work for me. So im sure its not work to the max but its working lol. The cable that was ran before had 12 strands and was sheilded and had a really stiff plastic coating so im not sure what the intentions were but it doesnt work as data cable lol.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Well I got All new wire pulled 2 250Ft sections one for Phone and one for the router. And Viola it works perfect . Im a retard at network settings lol but apple little assitant did all the work for me. So im sure its not work to the max but its working lol. The cable that was ran before had 12 strands and was sheilded and had a really stiff plastic coating so im not sure what the intentions were but it doesnt work as data cable lol.
Yeah, 12 strands isn't Cat5 or Cat6 for networking....should only be 8 strands or 4 pair. Shielded just means it cost more money! HAHA Actually there is a purpose for it, but not for small business or home use.

What I would recommend DD, is to load your disc for the Extreme first. Then hook up your extreme to your computer. If you have a MAC, go to Airport Utility and then select the manual settings at the bottom when it acquires the extreme.
1. Your first tab is the base station which shows you the general setups for your 2.4GHz wireless and your name of the Extreme.
- Give it a name
- Select "create a wireless network
- change the channel from channel six to channel 1 or 11....noone ever changes their channel from 6 so everyone is stepping on each other and causing WIFI interference
- Ensure your encryption type is WPA2 and put in a password....
2. 2nd tab is for your wireless settings of your first router (3 routers can be created with the Extreme)
- give it a name (base station and 2.4GHz is what I used)
- ensure it says "create a wireless network" and not "extend a wireless network"
- check the channel setting so that it isn't saying 6
- Go to advanced settings which allows you to create a 5GHz network
- Give it a name (base station name and 5GHz works...or whatever you want)
- Should have the same encryption level of WPA2 and password
- Select down at the bottom "create a closed network"....this turns off the SSID or name broadcasting so noone will see your router and only you can configure someone else's computer to access your router. This prevents people from trying to find your router and crack the WPA etc.
- There should also be a button to select Increased performance or something like that to prevent interference.
- Then go to your last tab....this allows you to set up a "guest network" at the 2.4GHz frequency. The first 2 "wireless routers" allows you to share with all computers connected to the 2.4 or 5GHz an external hard drive connected to the Extreme. The "Guest network does not allow (if selected under the options) for guests to access your connected hard drive on the extreme. So you can set it up for a business to allow customers access to the internet while they wait but not your business files or allow everyone access if you want. (if you are setting up for home, you could prevent guests from seeing your special pictures DD! haha)
- Then don't forget to set up a "Guest" password as well.

That should cover the basics for setting up your extreme to most of it's capabilities. PM if you have any questions.

U.S. Army
post #11 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks man ill do that when i get home..... and let you know how it works.. I am using macs on both ends so the airport utility is my friend
post #12 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks man ill do that when i get home..... and let you know how it works.. I am using macs on both ends so the airport utility is my friend
There you go and you're welcome....I switched everything over to Mac....my wife's computer, my son's computer, my travel computer and the routers. If you have a 2 story home or big area to cover, you can get the airport express and extend your wireless network to give a bigger coverage area other than the basic distance.

You can't beat MACs when there are 0 viruses on the net against them and they just work no matter how many times you go on the internet (I have had my travel Mac for 8 months and haven't had one issue with it!).....unlike Windows based PCs which has over 250,000 active viruses running the internet waiting to hit someone's box! HAHA I had to reinstall my wife's Windows computer 3 times in 6 months even running firewall and virus scanner because of viruses. The virus definitions cant update fast enough on a Windows system to keep from catching something!

U.S. Army
post #13 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks again man its working great.........
post #14 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks again man its working great.........
Glad to help....what I lack in the Jeep mod knowledge I think is made up for in computer networking ability!

Shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions.

U.S. Army
post #15 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
Glad to help....what I lack in the Jeep mod knowledge I think is made up for in computer networking ability!
Well you saved a poor helpless apple router from certain death LOL i was gonna drive the Jeep over it
post #16 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Well you saved a poor helpless apple router from certain death LOL i was gonna drive the Jeep over it
before you do that send it to me....I have a use for it!

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode