Well I got All new wire pulled 2 250Ft sections one for Phone and one for the router. And Viola it works perfect
. Im a retard at network settings lol but apple little assitant did all the work for me. So im sure its not work to the max but its working lol. The cable that was ran before had 12 strands and was sheilded and had a really stiff plastic coating so im not sure what the intentions were but it doesnt work as data cable lol.
Yeah, 12 strands isn't Cat5 or Cat6 for networking....should only be 8 strands or 4 pair. Shielded just means it cost more money! HAHA Actually there is a purpose for it, but not for small business or home use.
What I would recommend DD, is to load your disc for the Extreme first. Then hook up your extreme to your computer. If you have a MAC, go to Airport Utility and then select the manual settings at the bottom when it acquires the extreme.
1. Your first tab is the base station which shows you the general setups for your 2.4GHz wireless and your name of the Extreme.
- Give it a name
- Select "create a wireless network
- change the channel from channel six to channel 1 or 11....noone ever changes their channel from 6 so everyone is stepping on each other and causing WIFI interference
- Ensure your encryption type is WPA2 and put in a password....
2. 2nd tab is for your wireless settings of your first router (3 routers can be created with the Extreme)
- give it a name (base station and 2.4GHz is what I used)
- ensure it says "create a wireless network" and not "extend a wireless network"
- check the channel setting so that it isn't saying 6
- Go to advanced settings which allows you to create a 5GHz network
- Give it a name (base station name and 5GHz works...or whatever you want)
- Should have the same encryption level of WPA2 and password
- Select down at the bottom "create a closed network"....this turns off the SSID or name broadcasting so noone will see your router and only you can configure someone else's computer to access your router. This prevents people from trying to find your router and crack the WPA etc.
- There should also be a button to select Increased performance or something like that to prevent interference.
- Then go to your last tab....this allows you to set up a "guest network" at the 2.4GHz frequency. The first 2 "wireless routers" allows you to share with all computers connected to the 2.4 or 5GHz an external hard drive connected to the Extreme. The "Guest network does not allow (if selected under the options) for guests to access your connected hard drive on the extreme. So you can set it up for a business to allow customers access to the internet while they wait but not your business files or allow everyone access if you want. (if you are setting up for home, you could prevent guests from seeing your special pictures DD! haha)
- Then don't forget to set up a "Guest" password as well.
That should cover the basics for setting up your extreme to most of it's capabilities. PM if you have any questions.