driver's side freedom top panel - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
driver's side freedom top panel

hi everyone,

i know this is a complete shot in the dark, but you know the saying - you fail everything you don't try... so, i'm looking for a black, driver side freedom top panel for my 2008 rubi. i am located in northern nj, and am willing to travel a few hours. i would be open to having it shipped, but i know thats going to significantly jack up the price.

i have called salvage yards and unfortunately come up pretty empty handed so far. i would like to avoid spending the $500 to buy a new one from the dealer, so if you have a panel(s) that you are selling, or know of a salvage yard that has one please reach out and let me know.

thanks for all of your help.

best,
jim

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sorry man no help here. but you gotta tell what happend?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #3 of 15 Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
sorry man no help here. but you gotta tell what happend?
Last guy lost his on the freeway after not securing them to the header.

OP- look in the for-sale section for maybe a damaged hard-top. I've seen them before in there pretty cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
story

alright, here for your amusement....

thursday night i decide i'm going to take off my hardtop one last time since they predicted the weather here in nj was going to be gorgeous friday and saturday. i pull the jeep into my garage and begin hooking up the hardtop to my one man pulley hard top removal frankenstein like lift. things don't go well and after one of the eye bolts pops out of the stud for a second time i decide to call it quits. i curse at the damn lift and put the freedom top panels back in place, not securing them because as i'm doing so i get the genius idea that i'm going to go doorless and still get to enjoy the weather. i remove all 4 doors, open the back glass window for more circulation and head upstairs to go to bed as its now pretty late on thursday night. you can see already where this is going.....

friday morning i head off to the train station for work, no problems. i get home friday night and drive from the train station to my house to grab something to eat and unwind a little bit, no problems. after hanging out for a little while i decide i need to head down the highway to the local best buy... and this is where the problem begins. as i get onto the highway, i gun it to catch up to speed and turn into the slow lane to avoid a car in the shoulder that is just getting on the highway in front of me. as i pass the said car in the slow lane it suddenly become much brighter in the driver's cabin and i realize that said "placed" freedom top panels are no longer in place. yup, they flew the cuckoo's nest. i immediately pull over and see the car that i had just passed in the shoulder pulling into a gas station behind me. i run over and see that the one freedom top panel is still resting on his roof and has smashed his sunroof to pieces. i begin apologizing profusely and explain the situation to the bewildered driver and passengers who had not seen the panels fly off, they had just heard their sunroof explode and had glass rain down on them. after speaking to the family for a few more seconds i turn and see the other freedom top panel in the fast lane, still intact. as i begin to contemplate running for it a series of 3-4 cars and trucks run over it and just demolish the s*** out of it. oh well, i focus back on the family and continue apologizing and begin to help them pick up some of the glass shards that are EVERYWHERE. i give the guy all of my insurance information and we both drive away.

so, i'm now looking for a driver's side panel because the remenants of mine are in a million pieces in the fast lane of the highway....

post #5 of 15 Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I figured that was what happened. 2nd time I've heard of someone doing this. Glad no one was injured.

....kind of amusing, yes.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

yes i and the people in the other car were extremely lucky that no one was hurt and that the panels didn't cause more damage by perhaps hitting a windshield or multiple cars.

glad i could amuse, i'm sure video of my face during the incident would have been even more entertaining....

post #7 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

In all honesty........I can only imagine how scary the whole thing was. No doubt that you are a very sincere person. I would have been beside myself, not knowing if anyone had been hurt. I hope that you get this resolved and that your insurance company takes it easy on your rates.

Good luck with this.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

I may know of one available. It's not new though and it has scratches, but it's in one peice. PM me and I'll give more details.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
freedom panel

yes, i was in full blown shock when the whole incident happened - i'm pretty sure i apologized so profusely that they began to get irritated at me for it...

funny thing i was thinking last night - there are so many damn chimes and reminders in the jk that i'm quite surprised they didn't put in a dummy ding for the freedom panels not being latched.....

post #10 of 15 Old 10-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Granite Guru

Here's a pair...

eBay

2007 JK Rubicon
Rock Krawler, ORI STX, RCV, Warn Powerplant HD on 40s
post #11 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

thanks, i hadn't seen those on ebay yet, was watching another auction where the price is creeping up and it may just be worth it to buy both for 350 and then sell the other one that i don't need.....

post #12 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by offinthewoods View Post
thanks, i hadn't seen those on ebay yet, was watching another auction where the price is creeping up and it may just be worth it to buy both for 350 and then sell the other one that i don't need.....
From the above ebay ad;

I have two OEM Factory Hardtop Panels from my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK 2DR for sale. Great condition, minor scratches here and there from taking off and putting in back of Jeep.

Located near Houston, TX. Local pick up, Delivery within an agreed to radius of my location, or shipping at buyers expense available. Please contact me with any questions. (Items are up for sale locally and I reserve the right to end this auction at any time.)

Would consider selling individual panels. Please let me know if interested.

Thank you

It sounds like you may get lucky and only have to buy the one you need. You could then apply the $$$ saved by just buying one to put towards the S&H since I see you are in Jersey and the panels are in TX. Good luck and sorry to hear about the whole mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 10-19-2010 at 11:42 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
From the above ebay ad;

I have two OEM Factory Hardtop Panels from my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK 2DR for sale. Great condition, minor scratches here and there from taking off and putting in back of Jeep.

Located near Houston, TX. Local pick up, Delivery within an agreed to radius of my location, or shipping at buyers expense available. Please contact me with any questions. (Items are up for sale locally and I reserve the right to end this auction at any time.)

Would consider selling individual panels. Please let me know if interested.

Thank you

It sounds like you may get lucky and only have to buy the one you need. You could then apply the $$$ saved by just buying one to put towards the S&H since I see you are in Jersey and the panels are in TX. Good luck and sorry to hear about the whole mess.
thanks, already reached out and tried to see if they were willing to separate but never got a confirmation and now the auction has ended....

post #14 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's a for sale ad

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38881

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
thank you very much for the heads up, unfortunately i was looking for one in new-like condition. wound up biting the bullet over the weekend and ordering a new one from the dealer for a little under $400 so that price is fantastic for both panels. another problem is it is more than likely going to take a month to get the panel bc they are on some serious back order - there are only 4 in the whole us sitting at dealers and after calling all of them i found that there were all ordered and simply awaiting the people to pick them up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode