VOLT LED LIGHT PODS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 05-12-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

VOLT LED LIGHT PODS

Hi fellow wheelers, I am a new vendor here on jkowners, I have been a member of pirate4x4 for about 4-5 years, recently became a vendor on there as well and looked around here quite a bit, finally deciding to register and buy a star to offer the best products I can get my hands on and pass them on to you!

All of my lights use a 10 watt CREE chip, not some kind of junk epistar 3 watt chip. These are not junk, consider the overall light a filler to fill the gap between a cheap totron light and a very expensive rigid light.
This thread is focused towards the pods, but feel free to ask about any size!

LED light pods, $50 each $89 per pair or $40 each for three or more
Shipping is right around $10-$15 depending how many you order

Notice the teeth making the mounting system a solid set up
these lights weigh in at only 14 ounces each

Depth compared to a 3x3 pod

THIS IS A SINGLE LIGHT POD

PM ME FOR PRICES AND QUANTITY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE

THANKS FOR LOOKING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

im sure someone needs a set of pods
post #3 of 37 Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

sold three sets today, shipping out tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

$79 per pair shipped... I have two sets of pods left at this price!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i want these gone before the next shipment gets here! (im keeping the light that im freezing)

feel free to ask any questions about these

Edit, I decided to do some testing on these before putting this light and glass of water in the freezer...

Ill let the pics speak for themselves. I wouldve went with deeper water but i didnt think itd be too great to let both the hot and ground wires touch the water....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

works just fine

post #7 of 37 Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonjeep View Post
$79 per pair shipped... I have two sets of pods left at this price!
I may be interested in two pairs. I have a question, though. What is securing the light pod to it's ratcheting mount? You don't a good picture of the right side of the pod and the left side is a little fuzzy. I can't tell if there is a nut/ hex bolt locking everything in place.

Technical write-ups, trip photos, firearm related posts. Just finished my M416-A1 restoration!

post #8 of 37 Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

There are two "teeth" that lock into the notches on the housing of the pod. when you tighten the nut on both sides it pushes the teeth into the notch making it stay in place.
you can clock these at 90 degree intervals to change the way the beam pattern is thrown

There is also a second mounting slot to keep the light from rotating out of position

post #9 of 37 Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #10 of 37 Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

bright lights that fit those hard to fit places.
Or some really overkill rock lights

post #11 of 37 Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Im putting these on sale for $79 per pair until tomorrow

post #12 of 37 Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

btt.

post #13 of 37 Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Going to have the website up soon

btt for some solid lights

post #14 of 37 Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

btt

post #15 of 37 Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

TTT

These lights are really great for rock lights as well, you would only need one of them and they only measure 2 inches square

post #16 of 37 Old 07-06-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have more lights coming in this week! Some light bars and pods as well

Pm me if you want the best lights for your money

post #17 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have more pods in and a few small light bars in stock ready to ship out

post #18 of 37 Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have plenty of these in stock and ready to ship

post #19 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Granite Guru

My take on these LED light pods. 1 0f 4

I jumped at the chance to check out a pair of these LED light pods. The pics looked good and I figured that if they didn't work, I could always hook the up on the rear of my Jeep for camping flood lights.

My brother and I hooked up one to a 9v battery and it was pretty bright, white, and wide. It looked like the throw was pretty decent but we wouldn't know until they get mounted on the Jeep. I contacted Chris again and ordered another 6 pods. Yup, going for a commitment. They are all installed now and here's my review.

====================

I currently am running six ProComp55 55watt 6" round lamps on the front of my Jeep. I had 4 spots and 2 floods. They worked well enough but the color was not that natural. When I'm out in total darkness I can really see the yellowish tint coming from the lamps.

When the first pair arrived and, I have to admit, I was less than impressed. The packaging was cheap and very common to "Made in China" packaging. All the specs were printed on the outside of the box. It's a simple 2-wire connection so I was not surprised that no instructions came with the light pods.

My first concern was how tiny these things are. After running 6" round lamps for so long, I feared that I would not like the look of a 2" square lamp.

The second concern was how small the mounting screws were! They are tiny! My current mounting holes are close to 3/4" in diameter. They look weak as hell. I considered drilling a bigger hole into each mount and run a 1/2" nut/bolt, but since the light pod's base was not solid, It may not have held up to the drilling.

The third concern was that most of my current lights are spots, and these light pods are all floods. Would I loose some distance?

It's 9pm and pretty dark outside so I wanted to see how bright these suckers are. I hooked up a 9v battery and lit one up. WOW! They are white and bright! Now I was feeling a bit better. Still can't judge how far it was throwing the lights, but it was impressive. One pod lit up my entire backyard.

Several weeks later my other light pods arrived. It's now time to install them. I removed the existing 6 ProComp 55s 6" round lamps and tried to figure out how to mount these. I needed some kind of spacer to fill in the larger mounting holes on my front bumper and windshield mounts. This is what I came up with:

I chucked the nut, washer, and bolt that came with the lights. They were too tiny and didn't look durable enough. I replaced the bolt with a #10-32x1/2" machine screw. To make a spacer, I needed 2 or 3 #10S flat washers. They fit in the holes nice. It took 3 for my bumper mounts. On the bottom of the hole, I used a 1/2" flat washer and a #10-32 machine screw nut.

All these parts came from Home Depot

* Crown #10-32x1/2" machine screw [#27872]
* Crown #10S flat washer [#20001]
* Crown 1/4" flat washer [#19821]
* Crown #10-32 machine screw nut [#18532]

In hind sight, I should have used a 3/4" length machine screw so I could also add a locking washer. I may go back and do this if the lights start working themselves loose. Your install may be different if the thickness of the mounting area is thinner or thicker.

Here's a video of my first test. I'm out in the parking lot of my local library and am using the parking space lines to judge viewable distance. I compared my OEM headlights, my windshield 6" ProComp 55watt spots, and a pair of LED light pods.

The video does not do the lights justice, as it could not pick up just how far these lamps were projecting the lights. All three lights had about the same throw distance. The ProComp on the windshield mount looks to throw farther because they are spots, but they are mounted higher and pointed straight on. When compared to the spot mounted on the bumper, the LED light pod threw light about the same distance. The LED light pods definitely gave a wide beam and the light was nice and white. It was WAY easier to see with these LED light pods than the ProComp 55s.

Testing the VOLT LED light pods from Whites4WD [test 1] - YouTube

Summary:

1. The lights are very nice. They give a natural white light output and is as wide as my ProComp 55 floods and as far as my ProComp 55 spots.

2. Being LEDs, they use a LOT less power than my halogen lamps.

3. I'm disappointed in how cheesy the mounting hardware was. I would have been happier if there was a choice for a mounting bracket with a larger mounting hole. I hope they hold up to all the bouncing my Jeep takes on the washboard trails.

4. Adjusting the elevation angle was not pleasant. The small bolts use a tiny Allen key (which was not provided). You have to remove the bolts, adjust, and reinstall the bolts. It would have been nice if they "click adjusted" after loosening the bolts. It was a pain and the adjusting took longer than the initial installation. Once set, I hope I never have to adjust them again.

5. There are mounting holes on the back of the light module. I guess they would allow for flush mounting instead of using the brackets. That's cool, but they did NOT provide a template. That sucks...

Overall, I think they are worth the $45 price tag per LED light pod. Only time will tell if they hold up. I look forward to using them in October when I have my elk hunt. It's freakin' dark out there in the backwoods and I will really be able to see how well they work.

Technical write-ups, trip photos, firearm related posts. Just finished my M416-A1 restoration!

post #20 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

My take on these LED light pods. 2 0f 4

In the second video, I have one ProComp 55 6" halogen (spot) mounted next to one 2" LED light pod (flood). Using my fat ass, I'm blocking one light at a time, to compare side-by-side the output.

Testing the VOLT LED light pods from Whites4WD [test 2] - YouTube

6" ProComp 55 Halogen (spot)

2" VOLT LED light pod (flood)

post #21 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Granite Guru

My take on these LED light pods. 3 0f 4

I drove out and found a nice dark stretch of road because I wanted to see what it looked like when I'm cruising at 50mph. This will be the condition when I'm out hunting and driving the frontage roads.

Testing the VOLT LED light pods from Whites4WD [test 3] - YouTube

Again, not bad. They throw about the same as my headlights and the same as my previous spots and floods.

post #22 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Granite Guru

My take on these LED light pods. 4 0f 4

Last test...

First, let apologize for the quality of the video.

I wanted to see how they will perform during an off-road condition. I went out to the desert and got a bit disoriented in the dark. I could not find the spot I wanted to test the lights so I roamed around (while recording) until I found some suitable spots.

Also, I was using a RAM Mount to attach my cellphone to the windshield. The rough roads really caused portions of the video to bounce around. Probably should have aired down the tires.

Lastly, the noise. I have a modded Rancho GEAR bumper/tire carrier and a Tuffy Trunk Enclosure in my Jeep. They tend to be noisy when clunking off-road..

I paused at several points of the video to try and capture comparisons of the lights. If you feel like you are about to have an epileptic seizure, feel free to forward to these jump spots.

Jump spots: 1:17, 1:50, 3:55, 4:12, 5:25, 7:15

Testing the VOLT LED light pods from Whites4WD [test 4] - YouTube

This video was still uploading/processing at the time of this writeup, so if it does not play right away, please check back.

Last edited by snipedu1st; 08-05-2013 at 09:00 PM.
post #23 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

Would make a good little back up light
post #24 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

I definitely will put a set on the back. I would love to see a spot version to replace one of the front pairs.

post #25 of 37 Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I believe I added two spot pattern pods to my last order which will be here friday,

ill post them up here once I get a chance to mess with them a little

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode