AZ State Parks OHV Program - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AZ State Parks OHV Program

I'm the new guy at Arizona State Parks (hired Oct 2012), in charge of the Statewide OHV Program. In the coming months, I will be rolling out some new programs to benefit OHV recreation and tuning up some of our existing projects. People often wonder what State Parks does for OHV recreation or have a misunderstanding of what we do. I invite you to join our newsletter to keep up on the latest news and visit our website at azstateparks.com/OHV . Our primary role is to manage our Statewide OHV Fund (which includes sticker and RTP money) for the benefit of the OHV community. Over the years, we have invested in the trails you enjoy on BLM and Forest Service lands, developed educational and volunteer programs, and granted quite a bit of money to some of the organizations, like AZOHVC and BLM, that have done the trail construction you all benefit from.

State Parks has not done much to toot our own horn in recent yeas due to staffing and budget issues, hence the misunderstanding as to how we fit into the bigger picture. That has changed since I have been hired and we are working hard to get people involved in creating or improving OHV opportunities all over the state. Please take part in my Trail Talk series if you would like to chat about OHV issues in person, I created this program so I can meet with trail users on Saturdays out on the trail! Swing by and say hello at the staging area before hitting the trail. Details about the May 25th Trail Talk is in the newsletter, including a map to get there.

Join our newsletter by clicking here.

When you do, you'll get a copy of our latest issue. This will be the best way to track what our program is doing each month. As our website gets updated, we will provide even more detailed information about how your OHV fund is being invested.

Arizona State Parks is getting ready to do some great things, but I'll need your support to get it done! If you ever want to me to join a trail run or meeting, just shoot me an email. Most of my trips involve my mildly built tacoma or KLR650, both set up for doing long distance, backcountry travel.

take it easy,
Jeff Prince
ohv @ azstateparks.gov
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks

Last edited by AZStateParksOHV; 05-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-11-2013, 03:28 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Fire Drum Marketing is an e-mail SPAM company.

Hmm.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Fire Drum Marketing is an e-mail SPAM company.

Hmm.
I write the newsletter and have 100% control of it. FireDrum is an Arizona business that provides the newsletter software, just like Constant Contact, etc. It's not spam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-11-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here are the past newsletters if you want to kick the tires...

Jan

Feb

March

April

and some events I have been to....

Upper Terminator w/AZVJC

Box Canyon w/AZVJC

Trail Talk done in conjunction with ADV
post #5 of 39 Old 05-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Granite Guru

Hey Jeff, good to see you on here.

I'm the red JK in the upper terminator. And after spending a day on the trail (and pie) I believe Jeff is a wheeler and explorer first and foremost. I read his post as an honest attempt at connecting with the JK wheeling community.

Thanks for the initiative Jeff.

Gabe

2009 Rubicon Unlimited, FLAME RED
37's on WE beadlocks. ProRock44 w/ARB, RCVs, spyntecs, PSC hydro assist. Rear D44 w/35 spline ARB. 4.5" Poly/TF lift.
post #6 of 39 Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for vouching for me Gabe Great wheeling with you at TM. Hope to do it again sometime.

Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
602-542-6940
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Rock God

Signed up, great initiative !

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #8 of 39 Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Wheeler

The OHV sticker program is paid into by users of Dirt bikes, quads and side by sides under the 1800lb threshold.

Why would you be allowed to use any of those funds for JEEP type OHV use that is not part of the OHV sticker program?

The OHV sticker program grants access to BLM and state trust land. It does not require to you also purchase a state trust land permit. A portion of these funds need to be paid to the state trust or the OHV sticker program is sealing from our schools (Our Schools are the owners of state trust land revenue).

Can you clarify.

KOH 2014 finished 18th

post #9 of 39 Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Hello Jeff, welcome to JKO! Thanks for taking time to reach out to us locals! I am sure I will have questions for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Excellent. I'd be all over this if I lived in AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #11 of 39 Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post
The OHV sticker program is paid into by users of Dirt bikes, quads and side by sides under the 1800lb threshold.

Why would you be allowed to use any of those funds for JEEP type OHV use that is not part of the OHV sticker program?
ARS 28-1176 dictates how the OHV Decal money is split up and what it may be spent on. Here's the link

AZ State Parks uses decal money and Federal Recreational Trails (RTP/Gas Tax) money to create trails for all OHV users. Plenty of dirt bikes, side by sides, and ATVs use "JEEP type OHV use" as part of their recreational experience or to access other trail systems. The vast majority of the projects we have funded from our combined revenue sources have been OHV specific. Here are just a few...
Kelly Canyon - Flag - first trail construction day was this past weekend
Maverick Trail - Alpine Ranger District - SxS, ATV, moto trail system
Table Mesa - 50" trails and OHV training area for youth and beginners
Boulders - multi use area
Alto Pit - Prescott - Designated OHV area w/a variety of features
Hayfield Draw - Verde Valley - Designated OHV area

We need more agencies and organizations to step up and use this money for on the ground projects. Getting people involved is one of my main jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post
The OHV sticker program grants access to BLM and state trust land. It does not require to you also purchase a state trust land permit. A portion of these funds need to be paid to the state trust or the OHV sticker program is sealing from our schools (Our Schools are the owners of state trust land revenue).

Can you clarify.
The OHV sticker does not grant "access" to Forest or BLM lands. Federal lands, unless managed by special permit (think Bulldog Canyon east of Mesa), is open to properly registered vehicles on approved roads and trails.

The OHV decal does allow you to cross Arizona State Trust land on existing roads and trails, but not recreational use such as camping, hiking, etc. If you stage or leave a vehicle behind, you have to have a permit for that vehicle. A portion of the OHV decal (5%) is given to the State Land Department per legislation linked above. Schools are not the "owners" of state trust land or it's revenue, they are one of 13 beneficiaries of a trust. You can read about that here:
http://www.azland.gov/beneficiaries.htm

Stealing from Schools? It would be interesting to know which revenue source makes more money for the land department...OHV decal % or individual rec permits. I don't know the answer, but I can tell you they are getting more money now then they did without the decal. Besides, they have told me that the rec permit money goes into the land department's operating fund, not the Trust. I was told to think of OHV and rec permit funds at ASLD as money to help the land department operate rather than a revenue source for the Trust.

Let me know if I can clear up any other misunderstandings.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
602-542-6940

post #12 of 39 Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwapache View Post
Signed up, great initiative !
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Hello Jeff, welcome to JKO! Thanks for taking time to reach out to us locals! I am sure I will have questions for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Excellent. I'd be all over this if I lived in AZ.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm happy to answer questions, attend club meetings, and join trail runs.

Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
602-542-6940

post #13 of 39 Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Okay so I'm a tard. Can't find what time you are meeting and where tomorrow morning. Are you able to post up here the details of meeting time for your Chiva run tomorrow?

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #14 of 39 Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Wheeler

Circle K on Tanque Verde at 8am.

2002 GC Overland

4.5" Clayton Long Arm Lift, 5100 Bilstein Shocks, JKS ATB and Discos, KOR Belly Skid and Rock Sliders, 285/75-16 Cooper STT on JK Steelies, Other Stuff
post #15 of 39 Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Many thanks to our Jeep community for coming out to Redington this past weekend! One of the other participants posted this thread about Saturday's fun...
http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2791

Lots of cool pics and a nice description of the day. Sunday we went to Chimney Rock as well. Hope to see you at the next one!

Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
602-542-6940

post #16 of 39 Old 09-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStateParksOHV View Post
Many thanks to our Jeep community for coming out to Redington this past weekend! One of the other participants posted this thread about Saturday's fun...
http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2791

Lots of cool pics and a nice description of the day. Sunday we went to Chimney Rock as well. Hope to see you at the next one!
Hey Jeff its John we were camping during the reddington trip, Any plans on coming back down here and doing another run?
post #17 of 39 Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John02tj View Post
Hey Jeff its John we were camping during the reddington trip, Any plans on coming back down here and doing another run?
Hey John, it was great meeting you and hanging out.
I'm happy to come back to Tucson to do another Trail Talk. Post up some suggestions and I'll set it up. The other area down there that has got my ear at the moment is Charlou Gap*, due to some access issues in the surrounding area.

*Yes, I know the past destruction of the classic gap obstacle is a sour issue. Happened before I came on board at Parks and was done by the FS and not Parks.

Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
602-542-6940

post #18 of 39 Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Rock God

Howdy Jeff. Everyone, methinks if we are serious about adopting reddington as discussed at the FRP event talking about it here may help.

As some of you know I review various permits for the County and as such review all state land ROW permits. Suffice it to say state land has many pots (cattle, utility easements, and ag to name a few in addition to OHV and hunting) If FS staff is too busy with mining and shooting to work with us on adopting roads, perhaps we could adopt sections on state land? I'll look at the ownership maps but Jeff if you have ideas there was a group of us wanting to do regular trial clean ups in reddington. Some of course already do but more is needed.

Of course the County also has an adopt a wash program, but "don't drive in washes"
post #19 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
If FS staff is too busy with mining and shooting to work with us on adopting roads, perhaps we could adopt sections on state land? I'll look at the ownership maps but Jeff if you have ideas there was a group of us wanting to do regular trial clean ups in reddington. Some of course already do but more is needed.
If a club or organization is interested in adopting a trail on FS land, they will work with you. Has anyone here tried to set something up yet?

If you need an organization to be a part of that is already working under an agreement with the FS, we could use more OHV Ambassadors Unfortunately, the State Land Department is not interested in working with my program on such efforts at this time.

Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
602-542-6940

post #20 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Hey Jeff, Murray here. Since we got back from California I've been so overwhelmed with work issues that it's been really difficult for me to follow up on any of the stuff you and I had been talking about working on. Seems my involvements go well beyond my abilities to keep up with things...lol

Anyway, I will start getting the group together on our end and perhaps you can get the other interest groups together and we can plan on a big orientation of ambassadors. We have ton's of things planned in the upcoming months and as December grows near we will be having more of our annual fund raisers being planned as well for the local community interests.

Please feel free to contact me and we can discuss how best to go about setting up the necessary classes and schedules required. I know there are other interest groups that will be involved as well so coordination may take a little time, unless of course you want to do multiple sessions.

Regarding adopting sections of Redington; As I have stated in the past, we are interested in adopting most trail areas available with exception of the immediate entryway near the falls (before you hit the old wildcat ranges). Those areas are best left to the hikers that utilize the parking lots and trailheads. As of late, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of maintaining those spots which is really nice to see now. I'm sure the closure of the shooting range has had a lot to do with that. I think some of the staging/parking areas before you get to the falls trailheads could be maintained a little more by some of the OHV sticker holders who utilize those spots on a regular basis.

Our trail adoptions would be best utilized by having them begin at the Three Feathers/Chivo staging area and beyond, reaching out onto the trails off the main Redington Road. Also we should discuss further issues that we were addressing during our last meeting and see where things have progressed since then and what we can do to circumvent any potential issues.

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...

Last edited by M&M's; 09-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.
post #21 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Rock God

Adopt the "Rug Road"

post #22 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyd View Post
Adopt the "Rug Road"
That's not a bad idea, we could do that. We'd have to make more regular runs there though to keep up with things. I do want to plan on getting involved in areas outside of our city/county limits but we also want to be careful not to bring attention to areas that are more or less off the radar so to speak. I realize that most areas are pretty exposed these days but we want to be cautious not to spread out too much too quickly. My thought is "hot spots" first then we can branch out...does that sound reasonable?

post #23 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
That's not a bad idea, we could do that. We'd have to make more regular runs there though to keep up with things. I do want to plan on getting involved in areas outside of our city/county limits but we also want to be careful not to bring attention to areas that are more or less off the radar so to speak. I realize that most areas are pretty exposed these days but we want to be cautious not to spread out too much too quickly. My thought is "hot spots" first then we can branch out...does that sound reasonable?
I was just joking...
Bull springs road has a lot less traffic and therefore a lot less trash... Unless that too far South for everyone... Or do you want to stay on State land?

post #24 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Rock God

Sounds like it will be FS Land, gunsight pass anyone
post #25 of 39 Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyd View Post
I was just joking...
Bull springs road has a lot less traffic and therefore a lot less trash... Unless that too far South for everyone... Or do you want to stay on State land?
Well the program doesn't work for state trust land it seems. FS areas are the primary spots at this point.

I am all for picking up rug road at some point along with many others as well. In all of this one thing to remember is that there are many other groups that we can lean on for support. Places like gunsight pass may be somewhere that some of the fj guys might like to pick up. Bull springs road is also very popular with the fj crowd if I'm not mistaken.

We'll have to see who all joins together on this and sorta go from there. As long as Mike and my bullshit rock don't get fucked with I'm open to most anything...haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode