Emergency meeting to support our 4wheeling rights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Emergency meeting to support our 4wheeling rights

Sunday, April 7th we are asking everyone who uses the Redington Pass area for 4 wheeling and other activities to join us at 7:30am to attend a meet and greet sponsored by the "Friends of Redington Pass".

These fine folks have every intention of getting our favorite wheeling areas closed down so that we can't use them anymore. They have been successful with assisting in getting the shooting ranges closed (not that that was a bad thing) and are now hot on our trails.

If we can band together and make a showing, proving that we won't lay down and allow them to lobby against us it may help to provide us a position that they can't refuse to support, or at least understand that they won't be able to unilaterally ban us from our own public lands which ironically we probably take better care of than they themselves do.

So, this Sunday we will meet at Circle K on Tanque Verde at 7:30am and leave at 7:45am to caravan to the meeting and see what these guys have to say. There's power in numbers so if we outnumber the hikers and nudists then perhaps they will see that we are going to be enjoying the area right along with them.

I don't know if it's possible to get around 100 4x vehicles out there or not but if it is then lets do it!!! I need all the support I can get on this and my time is very limited lately so I'm reaching out to you guys on this one to in turn reach out to everyone you know too. Thanks guys. Make no mistake, these psycho's are serious in their mission....................

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks Jim. Bring Lilith if she's available. Also let Wes know even though he doesn't use the area. But just in case he wants to in the future.

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM

I let him know. I also am talking to people that used to shoot up their (responsible ones that clean up).

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Rock God

They say that they are concerned about safety as well as birds. This may be code for speeding ohvs as well as poor marksmanship. Stats or anecdotes about wheelers particpating in seacrh and rescue of drunk "hikers" or broke down motorists would help our cause. I am assuming there will be great contrast between our bumper stickers and theirs. Emphasizing shared concerns will be critical or they will just right us off, draw the battle lines and call in for police protection....This is going to be a tuff road, try not to run any suburus off the road on the way.....
post #6 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Granite Guru

I will be up in my Jeep if I get my tire mounted. If not, I will be up in my Tacoma. I posted up on Tacoma world as well.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #7 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
They say that they are concerned about safety as well as birds. This may be code for speeding ohvs as well as poor marksmanship. Stats or anecdotes about wheelers particpating in seacrh and rescue of drunk "hikers" or broke down motorists would help our cause. I am assuming there will be great contrast between our bumper stickers and theirs. Emphasizing shared concerns will be critical or they will just right us off, draw the battle lines and call in for police protection....This is going to be a tuff road, try not to run any suburus off the road on the way.....
Very true, but all in all it's the way you carry yourself about that will make the point come across better. I think we have people from every walk of life in our group and it's a great way to show not just how diversified the Redington Pass area is, but how much it's users are too. Everyone has a say in how the area is used. Main thing is that we are there to provide a peaceful interaction with those who might otherwise dictate how our future use of the area goes. As long as we don't act a fool then all will be well and a manner of things...

The FRP organization is only 50 strong so far and if majority rules then perhaps we join their organization, attend their meetings and represent the majority vote on everything they do. Not a bad position if you think about it. We can talk about it after the meet and greet Sunday to see where we all stand at the end of the day on their mission goals.

I know we have many other interests here in Arizona but seems to me that the Redington Pass area is one of the most popular spots that we go wheeling. The FRP group is primarily made up of local homeowners that just want to get rid of the problem people they deal with on a daily basis.

Since we really aren't the problem people, it should be an easy relationship to foster good will between us. I'm all for doing whatever it takes within reason to maintain our rights in these public lands. Now, it's the private areas that we need to be concerned more about and again, good reason to make our presence knows and who knows, if these guys end up getting things shut down then maybe we all end up with stickers on our rigs that say we can still enter and enjoy the area. I have no idea where this will end up so just show up and lets find out. Of course any research you are willing to do (cause I know you're good at it) would be greatly appreciated too.

post #8 of 55 Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Rock God

Obviously the land mgt agencies (NFS, BLM, and County) will have a lot to say. FRP will be just one of many "stakeholders". Some of the HOAs on their membership lists have some clout or at least bluster. Just like the BLM? road mgt plan Randy mentioned in the Tucson Hangout, NFS says this on their site now:

Quote:
Forest personnel have begun working with a number of stakeholders to develop a Redington Pass Area Management Plan.
That is where Fish and Game and all stakeholders will really fight it out. However you feel about Rosemont Mine the probable loss of gunsight pass should weigh into the need to keep Redington ohv trails open. In fact there are road loss calcs in the EIS for this sort of thing wherein the loss at gunsight and lopez pass is weighed against miles of equivalent ohv routes elsehwere in the NFS. We may have better chance of getting Click and Honda on our side than some of the FRP crowd. We shall see......

This link to one of the HOAs involved clearly states their oppostion to ohvs

http://cebadilla.org/lce2/friends.htm

Last edited by Catfish; 04-02-2013 at 01:39 PM.
post #9 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Wheeler

This should be a big gathering

These local clubs will be meeting at the circle K at 7:30AM.
Wheelingarziona
JK owners
Pirate4x4
Tucson offroad

KOH 2014 finished 18th

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Rock God

Is anyone talking to the FOR people ahead, or is it gong to be a suprise party?

edit ok reading the articles in ashmans link I see F&G, BLM ect will be there too so it doesn't much matter. I guess that is the point, redington is not just their party.

Last edited by Catfish; 04-04-2013 at 09:03 AM.
post #11 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Is anyone talking to the FOR people ahead, or is it gong to be a suprise party?
I like surprise.

Be Very Careful, do not say any negative comments to Media about any OHV users. Not Some people....afew bad apples type comments.

Past interviews have been edited to paint a more interesting story.

We need numbers but we need "GOOD" numbers.

KOH 2014 finished 18th

post #12 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post
This should be a big gathering

These local clubs will be meeting at the circle K at 7:30AM.
Wheelingarziona
JK owners
Pirate4x4
Tucson offroad
Plus a couple from Tacomaworld.com

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #13 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Rock God

indeed showing these guys our numbers will be a double edge sword. many activities on public lands have impacts. We need to demonstrate that ours are responsible, manageable, even beneficial to the resource managers. Neighbors and bird watchers are another story. FOR may be a lost cause unless we can teach them coexistance is possible

Last edited by Catfish; 04-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
post #14 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Wheeler

I'm coming out as well as a couple guys from TRS (Trail Riders of Southern AZ). One of the guys is the USFS liaison for the club.
I can't stay for a run, but I'm coming out to show my support.

2011 JKU
post #15 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM

Wow this is going to be huge turnout.

Quote:
Quote:
post #16 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post
I like surprise.

Be Very Careful, do not say any negative comments to Media about any OHV users. Not Some people....afew bad apples type comments.

Past interviews have been edited to paint a more interesting story.

We need numbers but we need "GOOD" numbers.
Good point Ash. I would be the idiot that points that out so I'm glad you mentioned it.

I have been in contact with the vice president of FOR, Doug Nutter and he seems to be supportive of our being there and of our interest in their efforts. I have let him know that we are planning on being there on Sunday to show our support.

I have explained to him that we are a diverse group just as theirs is. My expectation from everyone is to obviously be on their best behavior and ready to offer up whatever we can do to preserve our interest in the area. I know we are of the sort that most FOR along with the other various stakeholders probably don't want in the area but if we can show a positive attitude along with a willingness to lend a hand where we can I have to believe that we can find a way to continue enjoying all our favorite places in the Redington Pass area.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

post #17 of 55 Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Granite Guru

My family and I are planning on being there too. I have talked to a bunch of guys from the base and they are talking with the different groups they ride with. Many of them are probably in the groups that have already been mentioned. This is definitely going to be interesting. I hope there's enough parking.
post #18 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
My family and I are planning on being there too. I have talked to a bunch of guys from the base and they are talking with the different groups they ride with. Many of them are probably in the groups that have already been mentioned. This is definitely going to be interesting. I hope there's enough parking.
I don't see parking being an issue. If for some reason it is, we can just park the same way the HIKERS park at the Tanque Verde Falls trailhead...right in the middle of the fucking road with complete disregard for anyone else. Funny how that works isn't it.

post #19 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Rock God

I signed up fortheir email list and got the reply below. So they are expecting "ambassadors". Might be good to particpipate in their monitoring. Monitor or be monitored.......

Dear greg,

Don't miss the opportunity to meet up with Friends of Redington Pass, representatives from the Coronado National Forest and AZ Game and Fish Department, OHV Ambassadors, and other recreational users of the Pass.

When: Saturday, April 6th, 8:00am - 4:00pm & Sunday, April 7th, 8:00am - 12:00pm

Where: Up Redington Road in the Coronado National Forest, a half mile east of the Lower Tanque Verde Falls Trail Head.
• Learn more about what is happening in the Pass
• Tell us about your favorite place in the Pass
• Join a morning bird walk
• Fill up your water bottle
We look forward to seeing you there!

Pass it on,
Kirk Emerson
President, FRP

Volunteers Needed
FRP is committed to assist the Forest Service in developing an Area Management Plan for the Redington Pass area. A primary step in developing this plan is to understand who is using the area and how it is being utilized. In order to compile this information, the Forest Service has asked FRP to monitor the activity in the Pass on a regular basis. The information will be acquired by observation only, noting conditions and the number of vehicles and people present at different stops along the Pass, in a format provided by the Forest Service. FRP is seeking volunteers to help with this monitoring during the weekends of April and May. Depending upon the number of volunteers, it will only require a commitment of one or two trips a month. A trip should take about two hours to complete, driving up to the Arizona Trail (approximately 11 miles each way) and back while staying on Redington Road. If you are interested, please contact Herb Trossman.

and....

Quote:
right in the middle of the fucking road with complete disregard for anyone else.
I suppose thats better than parking on the desert....
post #20 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM

If they move forward with closing the trails (which I don't think they will do), then I say we do an old fashioned strike on Reddington. West of the tanque verde falls though so no fucking priuses can go by.

Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I did just that... The S&R officer tossed me a pack and we hiked down. I manned the rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkXb...e_gdata_player

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)

Last edited by Rich1340; 04-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.
post #22 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Rock God

nicely done sir....
post #23 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1340 View Post
I did just that... The S&R officer tossed me a pack and we hiked down. I manned the rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkXb...e_gdata_player
Fucking Rich...always the badass! Nice one bro.

Remember we rescued that idiot broad in the chevy who ran off the road driving like an asshole. Course we wouldn't want to mention the driving like an idiot part but she was an idiot. In retrospect we should have left her there and just called the sheriff to report a reckless driver.

post #24 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post

Remember we rescued that idiot broad in the chevy who ran off the road driving like an asshole. Course we wouldn't want to mention the driving like an idiot part but she was an idiot. In retrospect we should have left her there and just called the sheriff to report a reckless driver.

Mention it. They were there bird watching...

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)
post #25 of 55 Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post

Was she hot?

More Cowbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode