Opinions on Arizona. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Opinions on Arizona.

Hey guys, and gals, I currently live in North Carolina and its a good state but I want to live where it's warm all year long and have been thinking about Arizona. Any opinions, good or bad. I would love to hear about all of the aspects of life in Arizona.

Thanks
~Cody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Phoenix is congested and hot, hot in the summer. Yuma is quiet and small town but stupid hot in the summer and snow birds jam the streets in the winter time. Tucson is a liberal town but conservatives are still here. It still gets hot in the summer but not like Phoenix hot and it also gets cold at night in the winter time.

Any areas you looking at right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No, no places in particular right now. I just want to get a feeler of how it is there, like if the people are friendly. How the job market is, how the housing market is. General things like that. Cause here in North Carolina I don't really fit in and I'm looking for a drastic change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Job market is depending on what skill set you have. If you can only use a shovel, well we have enough of those that are from south of the border. If you drive a jeep in Tucson the prius owners hate you but fuck them. We have a good group of jeepers here on JKO that actually go use their jeeps. Not like the pavement princesses in Phoenix.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I'm a CNC machinist. Any luck for me? And the Prius owners hate me here so it'll be just like home! Ha and do you enjoy Tucson?
post #6 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepJk'er View Post
Well I'm a CNC machinist. Any luck for me? And the Prius owners hate me here so it'll be just like home! Ha and do you enjoy Tucson?
If you are interested in Tucson, look into Raytheon. If your a union machinest you should have no problem getting on at Raytheon. I am a field engineer there. Tucson is ok but hours from anything, Phoenix is ok but crazy crowded and a cement jungle. Yuma sucks other than being close to San Diego (2 hours), I work in Yuma on and off all year for testing.

I like the Flagstaff and Prescott area, if I have to stay in AZ then I will eventually move up there.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #7 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
JKO Addict!

All I can say is that it's 7pm Tucson time and its 70 degrees out and I'm in my t-shirt and underwear. Fuck the midwest and fuck the east coast...they get two weeks and we get all fucking year!

My neighbor is a prius owner and he's actually pretty cool. Guess you could say he's a liberal liberal. lol

Like extremachn1 said, give Raytheon a shot. And like Uncle Sams Misguided Child said, here in Tucson there's a great jeep community and most of us are pretty active. I lived in Phoenix for a long time before moving to Tucson almost 30 years ago and I love it here. It may be close to the border and a little far from a lot of other places but if your not afraid of a little pavement time then you can get around pretty well.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #8 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Rock God

Re: Opinions on Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
If you are interested in Tucson, look into Raytheon. If your a union machinest you should have no problem getting on at Raytheon. I am a field engineer there. Tucson is ok but hours from anything, Phoenix is ok but crazy crowded and a cement jungle. Yuma sucks other than being close to San Diego (2 hours), I work in Yuma on and off all year for testing.

I like the Flagstaff and Prescott area, if I have to stay in AZ then I will eventually move up there.
2 hours from sd my balls! Lol unless you consider El Centro San Diego. Yuma is 3 hours from sd if your haulin ass.

I live in Phoenix and its ok, but were moving back to Cali next month. Hate the color of the state/ dislike the stupid libs, but we miss home.

Sent from within the beaver

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #9 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
All I can say is that it's 7pm Tucson time and its 70 degrees out and I'm in my t-shirt and underwear. Fuck the midwest and fuck the east coast...they get two weeks and we get all fucking year!

My neighbor is a prius owner and he's actually pretty cool. Guess you could say he's a liberal liberal. lol

Like extremachn1 said, give Raytheon a shot. And like Uncle Sams Misguided Child said, here in Tucson there's a great jeep community and most of us are pretty active. I lived in Phoenix for a long time before moving to Tucson almost 30 years ago and I love it here. It may be close to the border and a little far from a lot of other places but if your not afraid of a little pavement time then you can get around pretty well.
Its all perspective, I was raised in the PNW so the lack of trees down here really drives me nuts.

It gets hot here in in Tucson in the summer, 115 is the worst usually. Phoenix can get into the 120 range and tends to have more hotter days. Yuma I have seen in the 130 while working the desert.
The advantage of Phoenix and Yuma are there are a few lakes and rivers to go cool off at, but be prepaired for it to be crowded.

The Tucson Jeep community is pretty good as well like Jim and Murry said. Even though its a JK community there are a few non JK's like myself on here.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #10 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconquered View Post
2 hours from sd my balls! Lol unless you consider El Centro San Diego. Yuma is 3 hours from sd if your haulin ass.

I live in Phoenix and its ok, but were moving back to Cali next month. Hate the color of the state/ dislike the stupid libs, but we miss home.

I usually make it in 2:15-2:30 as long as you time it when there is no traffic. I am origonally from Pacific Beach and head out there for weekends when working in Yuma.

post #11 of 28 Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Love Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Love Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Love Monkey

Hi I moved from IL to AZ in 2001. I lived there 11 years and just moved to FL at the end of Nov.

I lived in Tucson & hated it after awhile but it kinda grows on you... Like a mold. Once I moved to Phoenix then Scottsdale, I made sure to get to Tucson every few months.

Take a vacation & explore. Go in July. See if its heat you can handle. Tucson was better in the summer & actually got rain. No rain in Phoenix unless hell freezes over. Dust storms are normal.

No matter what though, you're a few hours from cool weather in north AZ, a little drive to the ocean, an easy drive to Mexico & wheelin whether you're in Tucson or Phoenix. I did more wheelin in Phx than Tucson.

As for jobs, Raytheon is the big one but I'm not sure when it comes to your field. Feel free to hit me up with questions.
Attached Images

2008 Detonator Yellow
Im not bad; Im just drawn that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas44k View Post
Hahaha love monkey your fuckin awesome sauce
post #12 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:

I have made yuma to Miramar in one hour 59 minutes. I may or may not been doing the speed limit. There is that little thing on the right had side of the floorboard. Its called a gas pedal, use it. Oh yeah and thank god another damm californian moving back, can you take a couple more with ya?

I would suggest coming for a visit to see what its like before you move. I have lived in MI, CA, NC, WA and I retired while stationed in Yuma and moved to Tucson, I would not go anywhere else.

If you are union then Raytheon is where to go but if you are not there are a few machine shops here in town. Sargent controls and Abrams Airborne just off the top of my head.

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I have made yuma to Miramar in one hour 59 minutes. I may or may not been doing the speed limit. There is that little thing on the right had side of the floorboard. Its called a gas pedal, use it. Oh yeah and thank god another damm californian moving back, can you take a couple more with ya?

I would suggest coming for a visit to see what its like before you move. I have lived in MI, CA, NC, WA and I retired while stationed in Yuma and moved to Tucson, I would not go anywhere else.

If you are union then Raytheon is where to go but if you are not there are a few machine shops here in town. Sargent controls and Abrams Airborne just off the top of my head.
Lol Dick! I like az, trust me everything about it is my speed. Work is the primary reason for the move, but i miss being 15 min from the beach. Plus all our family lives there still.

I think my time from Yuma to sd is skewed because were usually towing something to/from sd and 55 is the limit. And chp are adores about that

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #14 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Lol Dick! I like az, trust me everything about it is my speed. Work is the primary reason for the move, but i miss being 15 min from the beach. Plus all our family lives there still.

I think my time from Yuma to sd is skewed because were usually towing something to/from sd and 55 is the limit. And chp are adores about that

Just kidding, take it easy francis.

My last ticket about 12 years ago was 91 about 2 miles from the AZ border. CHP loves to hang out in there. Surprised that he caught me before I crossed the border.

Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Granite Guru

I am also from NC originally, and I love it out here. For someone who is from the east coast, my biggest plus for AZ is the weather. Aside from being warm (and really hot at times), you really do get 10 months of perfect weather, and then a couple of the summer months where you spend a little more time inside (in areas like Phoenix/Tucson). It's not just the temperature, but the humidity was a huge part for me. I'll take 105 in Tucson over 90 in most of NC. It's very dry, which eliminates the sticky feeling that you get elsewhere. Without that moisture, theres no mold, no rust, no bugs at night (I'm talking to you, mosquitos) and that really makes being outdoors a lot more pleasant. If you love water and the activities that go with it, AZ is going to be a tough place to live. Otherwise, most other climates and geography can be found in the state. I'd recommend doing some research as to what type of lifestyle and climate suits you.

Phoenix - Big city, the hottest and driest of the 3 main cities. It's called the valley of the sun for a reason. Because it is so large, there will probably be the most opportunity here than other places, but all of the outside activities will be desert based. All of the "mountains" here are all desert climate.

Tucson - Big little city. With no freeway system looping around the city, the majority of travel is on surface streets, so it feels smaller than it actually is (still 1 million + people total). Average temp is several degrees cooler than Phoenix and you're guaranteed rain 1-2 days/week for 2-3 months in the summer. The rest of the year is dry. Also at the foot of Mt. Lemmon which peaks at 9100+'. Pine forest at the top, desert at the bottom.

Flagstaff - Hippie town in the mountains and by far the smallest of the three "main" cities. The town is at 7,000' elevation with a 12,500' peak nearby. Tons of snow in the winter and much cooler. It's probably most similar to Ashville but higher and cooler.

2008 Steel Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon
RE 4.5" LA
37" KM2's on 17x8.5 MB72's
Poly Tie Rod, Poly Steering Relo, Poly Draglink
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
Crossed Up Offroad Custom Winch Bumper
sPOD system, Cobra 75
Mopar Transmission Cooler
post #16 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
I am also from NC originally, and I love it out here. For someone who is from the east coast, my biggest plus for AZ is the weather. Aside from being warm (and really hot at times), you really do get 10 months of perfect weather, and then a couple of the summer months where you spend a little more time inside (in areas like Phoenix/Tucson). It's not just the temperature, but the humidity was a huge part for me. I'll take 105 in Tucson over 90 in most of NC. It's very dry, which eliminates the sticky feeling that you get elsewhere. Without that moisture, theres no mold, no rust, no bugs at night (I'm talking to you, mosquitos) and that really makes being outdoors a lot more pleasant. If you love water and the activities that go with it, AZ is going to be a tough place to live. Otherwise, most other climates and geography can be found in the state. I'd recommend doing some research as to what type of lifestyle and climate suits you.

Phoenix - Big city, the hottest and driest of the 3 main cities. It's called the valley of the sun for a reason. Because it is so large, there will probably be the most opportunity here than other places, but all of the outside activities will be desert based. All of the "mountains" here are all desert climate.

Tucson - Big little city. With no freeway system looping around the city, the majority of travel is on surface streets, so it feels smaller than it actually is (still 1 million + people total). Average temp is several degrees cooler than Phoenix and you're guaranteed rain 1-2 days/week for 2-3 months in the summer. The rest of the year is dry. Also at the foot of Mt. Lemmon which peaks at 9100+'. Pine forest at the top, desert at the bottom.

Flagstaff - Hippie town in the mountains and by far the smallest of the three "main" cities. The town is at 7,000' elevation with a 12,500' peak nearby. Tons of snow in the winter and much cooler. It's probably most similar to Ashville but higher and cooler.
Oh now this is what I like to hear! Thanks for making the references to nc so I could really understand. But that's awesome to hear, cause I hate the wet heat we have here and it really kills me I can't stand the humidity here. And about the bugs, that's literally a blessing cause they must like people that are full of shit haha
post #17 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Rock God

All the important stuff has already been said, but here's my take:

For work, Phoenix (and the surrounding areas; Mesa, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, etc., etc.) is the place to be. This is also a machinist's dream as well; LOTS of manufacturing going on. I was a machinist here for about a decade, and recently moved on to manufacturing engineering. Get a free subscription from here:

http://www.azmetalworker.com/

They list most (if not all) of the major places for manufacturing and their specialties. It'll give you some leads on jobs and salaries. For entry level CNC (ie. button-pushers), they'll get ~$10/hr. Experienced CNC MACHINISTS, get anywhere from $12-20 DOE. Tool and Die / Mould-makers / etc can get as much as they want provided they've got the experience and record to back them up. Some people I know have also gotten great jobs off Craigslist too, believe it or not.

Phoenix is hotter than a mofo at its peak (120 is as hot as I've seen). You'll acclimate quickly...I've lived here about 10 years (moved here from IL), and if it drops below 70 now, I'll put on a sweatshirt. I like anything between 80 and 110. Anything above that, and I'll put the doors / top back on and turn on the A/C. It's definitely a dry heat...like standing in front of an open oven. But, you don't start sweating the second you step out of the shower either. Lots of water stuff to do in the summer too; I read somewhere that there's more boats per capita than anywhere in the nation.

LOTS of wheeling opportunities around Phoenix, and everything is only a short drive away...including snow in the winter if you want it. If you're married, you're wife would probably choose the Phoenix area over the rest; there's TONS of stuff to do and see. You could go to a different restaurant every night for a year and not hit the same one twice I think.

But the best thing about here, for me, is the ability to make plans YEARS in advance...pretty good chance it'll be sunny and warm...lol.

-WRM
post #18 of 28 Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Haha na I'm not married, I'm only twenty, and right now I'm in a injection molding industry right now and I'm an apprentice so I'm learning all the aspects of molds and molding. So I can program CNC machines, make our super tight tolerance cores and cavities and such, process the injection molding machines and do maintenance and repairs on the molds. And I am really a fan of the fact it's summer 10 months of the year cause I hate the cold...
post #19 of 28 Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

We vacationed in Sedona/Flagstaff a few years ago. I found those northern area to be stupid Liberal. In Sedona we were looking at some jewelry in a store and the lady kept saying "and the tax is included". Finally I asked how much the tax was and she said it was like 11 or 12 percent. I told her "you need more Republicans in this state" which she took great offense to and started her Obama is great diatribe. We left without buying shit from that moonbat.

Beautiful place to visit but not sure I'd live there.

If I was 20 with a Jeep, I'd get in my rig and head to North Dakota for a few years. The money is booming up there right now. If you're smart and don't waste all your money on strippers and stupid mods for your Jeep, you could build a bankroll in a few years that will give you independence later in life. I can guarantee they need machinists up there with the oil production going on.

Have you thought about the coast of NC, SC, or GA?

Good luck youngster, I'm jealous of your options!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #20 of 28 Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
We vacationed in Sedona/Flagstaff a few years ago. I found those northern area to be stupid Liberal. In Sedona we were looking at some jewelry in a store and the lady kept saying "and the tax is included". Finally I asked how much the tax was and she said it was like 11 or 12 percent. I told her "you need more Republicans in this state" which she took great offense to and started her Obama is great diatribe. We left without buying shit from that moonbat.

Beautiful place to visit but not sure I'd live there.

If I was 20 with a Jeep, I'd get in my rig and head to North Dakota for a few years. The money is booming up there right now. If you're smart and don't waste all your money on strippers and stupid mods for your Jeep, you could build a bankroll in a few years that will give you independence later in life. I can guarantee they need machinists up there with the oil production going on.

Have you thought about the coast of NC, SC, or GA?

Good luck youngster, I'm jealous of your options!
Well i've been all over the state of north carolina, its a great place to live if you've had a chance to do something on your own (if that makes any sense to you) but i really wanna see what else the U.S has to offer. The reason i've been drawn to a state on the west coast is the weather, i dont really like the climate in NC because its so fickle, like last weekend it was 70 degrees and perfect, today its like 50, and a wind chill of like 42.
post #21 of 28 Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

It's west of Texas, is about all I can know
post #22 of 28 Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
It's west of Texas, is about all I can know
Why brain getting too full?

Quote:
Quote:
post #23 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Wheeler

I've lived in Az my whole life, currently in the Town of Gilbert. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Although a little warm in the summer for 3-4 months, the rest of the year is very nice. In a few hours I can be in the pine trees, in less then an hour I can be at one of numerous lakes in the area, or just out in the beautiful desert. Like I said, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Scott
post #24 of 28 Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepJk'er View Post
Haha na I'm not married, I'm only twenty, and right now I'm in a injection molding industry right now and I'm an apprentice so I'm learning all the aspects of molds and molding. So I can program CNC machines, make our super tight tolerance cores and cavities and such, process the injection molding machines and do maintenance and repairs on the molds. And I am really a fan of the fact it's summer 10 months of the year cause I hate the cold...
Love me some super tight tolerance cores and cavities.

Arizona is the best state in the country. I'm from the Midwest, the weather was a nice change. If you like Jeepin, the outdoors, mountains, guns, and know how to ask where the bathroom is in Spanish, you won't be disappointed.

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)
post #25 of 28 Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Granite Guru

If I was going to live in AZ (moving in from out of state, I dont have a choice now due to work) I would live North of Phoenix. Somehwere like Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona, etc. Being from the beach (San Diego) originally and then the Pacific Northwest (Washington/Oregon) I like having trees and grass. Everything in southern AZ is built to hurt and or kill you, both animal and plant alike.

I know in the future the wife and I plan on moving North, could be all the way to Washington again or possible Prescott/Flag area.

It all depends on what you want, do you mind cold winters with snow? Do you mind 115 degree summers? Do you wants trees and green, do you want desert, do you want to be close to stuff or isolated. AZ is pretty varied in its landscape, usually has something for everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode