Relocate to Carson City, Nevada area? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Relocate to Carson City, Nevada area?

Thinking about relocating to the Carson City area from Illinois.
Any thoughts or comments are welcome good or bad. Looking for a bit milder weather without the extreme heat of the dessert. How are taxes out there? License plate fee's, vehicle inspections? Water quality?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not too far from the Rubicon!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I am looking a parcel of ground that overlooks Washoe lake just North of Carson City.

The wheeling should be a great upgrade compared to the flat farm ground of Illinois. I have been lucky to only be 70 miles from Badlands park in Indiana.

I just can't live in this state anymore. High taxes, crooked politicians, non stop increases in regulations, high business insurance, a growing population of takers and illegals. It just seems to go on and on. plus we have shitty weather. Hot and humid all summer and cold and windy all winter with weeks at a time you don't see the sun. I was even considering moving to California, its political environment is just as bad as Illinois (Chicago) but at least it has better weather.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

We will take you hear in Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Granite Guru

I lived in Fallon for ~3 years. Other than Tahoe, Carson City was my favorite. Not too big, not dirty like Reno, right next to Tahoe. I would love to move there, but it is hard to convince the family to move from Florida, especially when we talk winter time
Goods:
No income tax, only sales tax (~7-8%)
Next to Tahoe
Can do pretty much anything (drive 100 meters off the road and start shooting gun of your choice)
Outdoor activities galore, you could camp every weekend during the summer and Fall (check out gold lake, they have a ORV campsite)
no vehicle inspection
It is pretty much the anti-California, so guns and hookers for all my friends
Bads:
Vehicle registration was ~$400 a year if I remember correctly
Water quality varies by location, but you can get filter systems
It still gets hot in Carson city (upper 90s), but it is a dry heat so it is not the uncomfortable but you can burn real quickly
It gets cold and windy, in Tahoe you can get snowed in, Carson city isn't too bad. I am from Florida so the cold was a big deal to me...

I think that was helpful, feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

12 JKUR w/J30 Top
05 KJ CRD
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the info.

Thats kinda steep for vehicle registration but from everything else I have been seeing it is quite a bit cheaper. Sales tax here is 8.75% Income tax is 5% and real estate taxes are $7400 for my 3600 sf house with detached garage. Plates here are $102 car cars and light trucks. The real estate taxes are what really piss me off, I live out side of the city and really get almost nothing for my money and every year they go up and up. In 2000 they were only $2800.

We get 90+ heat in the summer with 90%+ humidity and single digit daily temps in the winter with -20 -40 wind chills and high humidity.
My wife wants to move to Florida scence she has family in JAX but things seem so cramped down there and I don't think I could really handle the summers there unless we were in the Keys.

Keep it coming.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Granite Guru

Amazingly I lived in JAX as well for 4 years. JAX is very large, so you can easily find a place that gives you alot of space, especially towards the west and south. The weather there is actually pretty nice except from June until ~mid September. For NV, I rented so I don't know about property taxes, for JAX I pay $2600 for a house 3 blocks from the beach, so it is pretty reasonable. I really liked JAX and will probably move back there at some point (I put Jax and Carson city about equal for living quality). JAX is cheaper than NV. In a perfect world I would winter in Jax and summer in Carson city. But I need to win the lottery for something like that.

12 JKUR w/J30 Top
05 KJ CRD
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I am looking at a 40-80 acre parcel. I don't think I will find that in florida unless it is in the heart of the swamp. LOL
I did find a wooded 2 acre parcel just south of JAX. Still too small for a private shooting range.

Some build info here:

post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I have heard that home owners insurance is sky high in florida due to hurricanes. Not much to wheel down there but it would be close to jeep beach.

Some build info here:

post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've been in Jax for 24 years. If you have any specific questions, PM me. Me personally? I'm ready to move back out west somewhere, but I've enjoyed my 2+ decades here.

PROS:
It was 75 degrees here today. We're going to have a cold front roll through for a high of only 60 tomorrow. That's normal in January.

Beaches. Like the beach? Not a bad place to be.

Fishing / Surfing / Golfing: 365 days per year, every year.

CONS:

Wheeling? Non-existent unless you go to Ocala (Hardrock ORV Park) or you like mud. I hate mud personally.

Summer heat. If the humidity is below 80%, we consider that a dry day.

Hurricanes. We're pretty lucky here, but it's a game of dodgeball in any given year.

There's acreage available, look on the outskirts of Jax. Good chance it'll be pine scrub.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

60 tomorrow eh? My father in law will be braking out the winter coat tomorrow, that is if he will even leave the house. I think we are looking at 6 tonight.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode