AZ lift height recommendation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Age: 54
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews
AZ lift height recommendation

Hello everyone,

Need a little input...Just got a 2013 JKU sport s (4dr in Dozer of course) and would like to know what you feel is the best lift for 35's that will give me a better than factory ride and meet trail needs for AZ, CO and surrounding areas. I do not feel that I will be going on trails that almost "garrrrronnttiee" body damage. I guess I need like a minimum lift height for AZ to have 80% fun Looking to get to all the cool sights and do some camping and fishing along the way while wheeling.

Donny
Donny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,082
Feedback: 8 reviews

Xonny welcome to Jko. Go look in the southwest forum and there is a Arizona thread in their. Go meet some of those guys and see what they are running and go for a ride with them to get a better idea of what is being run and how it rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 AM
JKO Addict!
 
M&M's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson, Az
Age: 54
Posts: 5,696
Feedback: 0 reviews

Welcome to JKO. Jim is right about checking out rigs that have already been modified. You will get a good idea of which direction to go by doing so.

My only word of caution is to be patient when making a final decision and maybe give it a little time before you dive in. The reason I say that is because you may change your mind in how you use the jeep once you start going out with other groups.

In other words, you may find yourself doing things down the road that you hadn't thought you would be doing when you bought it, so as Jim said, check out other rigs, go wheeling to all the local areas and even places like Florence where a few of us will be this weekend. That way you can get a little better idea of what these rigs are capable of and whether or not you might end up doing a little more wheeling than you expected.

Good luck and in the end if you need help let me know.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
M&M's is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Rock God
 
HeloJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 871
Feedback: 1 reviews

2.5" - 3.5" of lift would be a good start. As far as brand, shocks and other parts that would be where meeting local guys and seeing what they have that does or doesnt work.
HeloJeff is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru
 
that_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 44
Posts: 379
Feedback: 1 reviews

3x ^^^ plus don't go cheap. You get what you pay for and Low center of gravity (LCG) is your friend is what I've learned.

For brands, I'd look into Rock Krawler or Teraflex.

Welcome.

09 2 DR Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my JK is my addiction
that_guy is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Age: 54
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

So we've been out with a few groups thus far...I have spoken to some guys and asked a boat load of questions...answers range from 2.5 BB with shock extenders to Longarm systems...buy Smittybuilt dont buy SHITTYbuilt...just getting very "frustrated" is the word I'd use...


I know I need a lift (have done the belly drag) I know I need rocker slides (watched this happen to someone else and he had sliders but they bent into his rig) and I know I NEED 35's cuz they look cool so I guess I am learning...


Donny
Donny is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Rock God
 
axsys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Age: 31
Posts: 1,526
Feedback: 2 reviews

I would go with a 2.5" coil system from either Rock Krawler or Teraflex with at least adjustable front lower arms, preferably some for the back too. Shocks are really up to you depending if you like a firm or soft ride. You don't need a longarm if you aren't going to be doing anything crazy.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
axsys is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 37
Posts: 1,481
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

You can do alot with minimal lift height. I ran the Teraflex 3" LCG longarm system on my JK, and with Bushwacker flat fender flares, I had enough room to run 37" MT/R Kevlars with some minor pinch seam trimming. I never felt the need for a 4" or bigger lift. You'll be amazed at what a JK can do with 2.5-3" of lift.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
highoctane is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!
 
M&M's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson, Az
Age: 54
Posts: 5,696
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
So we've been out with a few groups thus far...I have spoken to some guys and asked a boat load of questions...answers range from 2.5 BB with shock extenders to Longarm systems...buy Smittybuilt dont buy SHITTYbuilt...just getting very "frustrated" is the word I'd use...


I know I need a lift (have done the belly drag) I know I need rocker slides (watched this happen to someone else and he had sliders but they bent into his rig) and I know I NEED 35's cuz they look cool so I guess I am learning...


Donny
Hey Donny,

We are finishing a lift today on a 4dr JK. Stop by if you like to check it out. You can also come by and check my rig out to get some ideas. I have plenty of experience with various lifts and lots of experience with sliders so I may be able to lead you in the right direction. This whole process can be very overwhelming and extremely expensive. Even if you can't make it today on such short notice we can at least get you over to look at our rig and assess yours.

PM me your contact info and we can go from there. I'll do what I can to help you out.

Cheers,
Murray

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
M&M's is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Age: 54
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

Thanks for the invite I'm at work right now so I can't make the trek down to Tucson...But it does give me the inCentive to roll down that way soon.

as to evaluating my rig the poor thing is a 2013 BONE STOCK 4dr, 3.73, sport S, Dozer in color. Only mod has been my usb adapter for my phone Oh and some desert pinstripe


Donny
Donny is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Rock God
 
Rolltidejk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Age: 39
Posts: 1,080
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
Thanks for the invite I'm at work right now so I can't make the trek down to Tucson...But it does give me the inCentive to roll down that way soon.

as to evaluating my rig the poor thing is a 2013 BONE STOCK 4dr, 3.73, sport S, Dozer in color. Only mod has been my usb adapter for my phone Oh and some desert pinstripe


Donny
We pretty much all started That way!!
Rolltidejk is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
 
JKCTAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AZ
Age: 44
Posts: 8,957
Feedback: 2 reviews

Wheel it stock for a while, you will learn much more quickly where your weakness lies once you do, then spend the money accordingly. 2.5 - 3" of lift is as much as you'd want, beyond that you'd be looking at additonal upgrades like driveshafts and what not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
JKCTAZ is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic
 
jdemonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Age: 43
Posts: 6,148
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
Hello everyone,

Need a little input...Just got a 2013 JKU sport s (4dr in Dozer of course) and would like to know what you feel is the best lift for 35's that will give me a better than factory ride and meet trail needs for AZ, CO and surrounding areas. I do not feel that I will be going on trails that almost "garrrrronnttiee" body damage. I guess I need like a minimum lift height for AZ to have 80% fun Looking to get to all the cool sights and do some camping and fishing along the way while wheeling.

Donny
The only 2.5 lifts that give a better than factory ride are the AEV 2.5 and the RK 2.5 Max Travel. All others that I have experienced are as good as or worse than the stock ride. I have a AEV 2.5 you can drive if that helps.

Jason

AEV 2.5 on 35's


Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps

Last edited by jdemonto; 01-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
jdemonto is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
The only 2.5 lifts that give a better than factory ride are the AEV 2.5 and the RK 2.5 Max Travel. All others that I have experienced are as good as or worse than the stock ride. I have a AEV 2.5 you can drive if that helps.

Jason

AEV 2.5 on 35's

What do these lifts run? Are they expensive to install?
hubcap is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 22,082
Feedback: 8 reviews

Do a mod party with the local guys. Much cheaper than just paying someone to do it. Plus you learn valuable insight on what does what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Granite Guru
 
n3tfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Do a mod party with the local guys. Much cheaper than just paying someone to do it. Plus you learn valuable insight on what does what.
^This.

That's what I plan on doing. I almost bit the bullet and had a local shop purchase/install a kit for me, but it makes way more sense to have a few locals that have done this shit before help you do it. It's going to be a great way for me to really know how the suspension works and get to really know my JKU and some new friends.
n3tfury is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic
 
jdemonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Age: 43
Posts: 6,148
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
What do these lifts run? Are they expensive to install?
Sent pm

Jd

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
jdemonto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome