Places to explore near Sedona? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Places to explore near Sedona?

I'm heading to Sedona next weekend and I would like to take the jeep. I had ankle surgery on October 15th so I'm not looking for anything hardcore. I'm still in a cast so something I can spend half the day or less exploring in the jeep would be ideal.

Is schnebly hill road any good? Thanks for the help. Fwiw I'll be in a 2012 jkur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Rock God

We went up it in my wifes Grand Cherokee last spring and did the loop at the top. Easy drive. We also did Soldiers Pass and Broken Arrow (except the stairs) nothing to hard on any of them. It only had 4,000 kms on it and stock street tires.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Broken arrow and soldiers pass are must do's!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Rock God

x3 on broken arrow...sunset and/or sunrise at the top of schenbly is a must. Makes a good rt home. wheel the day away in sedona then head up the hill an hour or two before sunset, then hit the hwy home....was on the top loop camping a couple months ago and it is a bumpy boulder strewn ride for sure but no ledges or real obstacles, much dift than the sandstone below.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-29-2013 at 08:05 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Wheeler

At the top of schenbly Just past the lookout, continue up the road another 50 ft there is right turn that will take you on a flat but rocky loop that goes back to schenbly. Its not real hard but really cool, pretty short.

You could do all three in a day if you dont get stuck behind too many pink jeep tours, Broke arrow, Solders pass, schenbly and the top loop on schenbly.

KOH 2014 finished 18th

post #6 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the advice. I am really looking forward to the trip.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

When you get to Sedona, look up Barlow Jeep Rentals. They are super nice people and have trail direction sheets of all the trail around town to explore. We stopped by their place in August this year and they even let us used their high pressure hose for a few minutes.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Rock God

Are you limited to just the weekend?

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor

Last edited by axsys; 11-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
Are you limited to just the weekend?

This trip I am. I will be getting in late Friday night and then leaving Monday morning. I plan on coming back though and doing some camping. The area looks beautiful and isn't too far from me.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I had an awesome time on schnebly hill road and soldier's pass today. I have a lot of pictures and will go through them and post up the best ones. If you are anywhere near these two trails I highly recommend you spend the time to drive them and hike some of the areas adjacent to them. I was frustrated to be on crutches but it just gives me a reason to come back.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here are some of the better pics. We got really lucky because in the three days we were in Sedona, we got a nice mix of weather. I was also fortunate to spend veteran's day with my family and friends.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We ended up driving Schnebly Hill road and Soldier's Pass Road. I am really happy with the Jeep. It was perfect for this type of trip.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I can't wait to come back when I am not on crutches and do some hiking and camping.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Definitely had a blast out in Sedona when I was there. Took the wifey's XK down the stairs and she was white-knuckling the whole way! Would have loved to had my JK out there, but I wasn't about to do the 6,000+ mile trip in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode