Moab - 22 August - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Moab - 22 August

I'm planning on going to Moab for a couple nights (and one full day) after we leave Sedona (21-22 August) and wheeling some easy trails on the 22nd. Does anyone wanna come join a Moab Newb and show me around to some easy trails? Obviously, I wouldn't be doing anything crazy, I'll be in the wifey's XK. Should be able to do some easy stuff though.

Will anyone stop me from doing the easier trails alone if I can't find someone to go along?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Also, can someone tell me (or point me to a map of) where the trails are in the Moab area. I don't know alot about Moab, but I think I can handle Fins N Things in the wife's Jeep. I'd like to get a place close to that and/or another easy trail or two.

Recommendations on cabins would be appreciated, too.

Quote:

post #3 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

When your in Sedona hit me up and I'll run some trails. I live 45 min from Sedona.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Saw your other post. Now, I'm hoping to find someone that'll accompany us to Moab.

Quote:

post #5 of 36 Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Found a couple of guys that're gonna be out there the same time. Looks like we'll have some wheelin' partners.

Quote:

post #6 of 36 Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Granite Guru

I just got back from Moab yesterday ... had a great time. Talk to Jim over at outlawjeeptours. He was really cool and very helpful ... should you want more information send me a PM.

2015 JKU Copper-Brown Rubicon (aka: No Name Yet)
24-yrs Air Force Retired
post #7 of 36 Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks.

Quote:

post #8 of 36 Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Rock God

Order this book. Tons of info.
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroad.../dp/1934838004

http://www.rr4w.com/sites/rr4w.centr...p_EJS_2012.pdf

http://www.utah.com/offroad/moab_area.htm

and always a lot of great info in the Jeep Safari book:

http://www.rr4w.com/node/12#/0

post #9 of 36 Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
Thanks. I'll look into all of those.

Quote:

post #10 of 36 Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Wheeler

For a cabin I recommend Archview Resort. The location is great since it is right next to canyonlands. We just went down a few weeks ago for the first time and we already made reservations for the next trip at the end of September.

I also recommend the Charles Webb guide to Moab it really helps you choose the right trails.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bingo! That's what I went with... Archview.

Thanks for making me feel good about my decision!

Quote:

post #12 of 36 Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Granite Guru

If you have time ... order the Charles Wells book and have it delivered. It will cost you about $30 if you wait to get it in Moab. It's a very informative guidebook.

24-yrs Air Force Retired
post #13 of 36 Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Granite Guru

Here are a couple of utubes of Hell's Revenge (Moab) ... don't let it spook you. I ran the trail twice while there ... 1st vid (the first time) the second with my daughter and son-in-law! Did not expect to have company on the rock bridge!

http://youtu.be/Jj2J9Fd0yKs

http://youtu.be/7FVLOjtGspk

24-yrs Air Force Retired
post #14 of 36 Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Granite Guru

There are a few places in the world that have left a lasting impression on me and Moab is one of them.
Have fun out there but you need to go into it expecting some damage to your vehicle if you do Hells Revenge or Fins N Things, given its stock. Probably nothing major but its best to at least have that mindset.

Most every trail has by-passes to get around the difficult stuff but both above mentioned trails have a number of places where stock vehicles will scrape.
We put a hook style hitch receiver in on my buddy's '99 grand cherokee and it helped to scrape and slide off that $10 harbor fright piece then to come down on his plastic rear bumper.

There are a lot of trails in Arches Ntl park as well, probably a lot more friendly to a XK.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer

Last edited by JKBucko; 07-10-2012 at 11:53 PM.
post #15 of 36 Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMyke View Post
Here are a couple of utubes of Hell's Revenge (Moab) ... don't let it spook you. I ran the trail twice while there ... 1st vid (the first time) the second with my daughter and son-in-law! Did not expect to have company on the rock bridge!

http://youtu.be/Jj2J9Fd0yKs

http://youtu.be/7FVLOjtGspk
Yeah, try sharing that space with one of those H1 HUMMER tours.

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer
post #16 of 36 Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBucko View Post
Yeah, try sharing that space with one of those H1 HUMMER tours.

Don't even want to think about it rather drink and forget!

24-yrs Air Force Retired
post #17 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I guess that the guys I was hoping to meet up with and wheel are not going to be there the same time as us now.

Anyone else wanna wheel the 22nd with me/us?

Quote:

post #18 of 36 Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Granite Guru

As a resident of Moab I might be interested in getting together for a trail run after work. Fins n things is a fun, quick, run that I keep shorter by only running the south side of the trail.

PM me as we get closer to the 22.

Jason - KB0WLI
2008 Black JKU Rubicon
RIPP Stage 2, RockHard Bumpers, RockKrawler 3.5" X-Factor & Fox 2.0's, Nitro Sleeved, Artec Trussed & Gusseted, Synergy DL Flip, Energy green Spyder Louvers, 37x12.50-17 Falken Wild Peaks wrapped around 17x9 XD Addics
post #19 of 36 Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quack, that'd be awesome if you could try to keep that day clear to show us around. Like I said, I don't wanna get into anything too difficult. I'm in a very mildly built XK that has to get me back to the East Coast after I wheel.

I'll PM you when it gets closer. If you don't mind, PM me your cell number and I'll text you.

Quote:

post #20 of 36 Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Hey jeeper I am in southern California and would be interested in hitting Moab. I have never wheeled there so I wouldn't have a clue where to go other than researching it..
I bought a 2012 and just got it back from the shop after a full build up and I would like to give it an easy test run since I don't have a ton of offroad time and nothing on this.
I would be able to drive over late on the 21st and meet up on Wednesday the 22nd.
I am usually off on Thursdays and doubt I would have a problem getting Wednesday off.
post #21 of 36 Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Gettin' close. Anyone else interested? Looks like we might have 3 rigs playin' on some easy trails on the 22nd!

Quote:

post #22 of 36 Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

This is gettin' close. Is anyone gonna be able to make it?

If not, can anyone point me to a good trail or two that I can do with the XK that I won't "NEED" a buddy on?

Thanks.

Quote:

post #23 of 36 Old 08-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

I am unfortunately going to have to back out. Thanks to Moab Jeep Supply (of which I will NEVER do business with again, nor should anyone else) my RK 3.5" X-Factor lift install did not go as planned this last weekend. My JK will be down for most of the week while I beat on it a few hours a night.

As I haven't ever looked into the XK's I am not sure how capable they are. Some trails that might be worth looking at are:

Pole Canyon Rim: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=295
there is a bypass for the major obstacle. A friends stock WJ did the trail fine in June.

Dome Plateau: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=213

Secret Spire / Dellenbaugh Tunnel? / Spring Canyon Rim: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=227

You can take a look at the other trails listed on the trail damage site Pretty good write ups, pictures, and GPS tracks that load easily and work really well on my Garmin Montana.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason - KB0WLI
2008 Black JKU Rubicon
RIPP Stage 2, RockHard Bumpers, RockKrawler 3.5" X-Factor & Fox 2.0's, Nitro Sleeved, Artec Trussed & Gusseted, Synergy DL Flip, Energy green Spyder Louvers, 37x12.50-17 Falken Wild Peaks wrapped around 17x9 XD Addics
post #24 of 36 Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Finally made it in to Moab a couple hours ago. Unpacked (again) and ready to wheel tomorrow.

Bring it on...

Quote:

post #25 of 36 Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Finally made it in to Moab a couple hours ago. Unpacked (again) and ready to wheel tomorrow.

Bring it on...
Lucky!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode