So Tell Me About AZ - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So Tell Me About AZ

So I'm pushing to get out of MN in the next few years. I'm giving us 2 options- FL or AZ. Love FL, used to live there, know what to expect.

Got a few questions about AZ-

The wife loves snow. Where does it snow in AZ? I'm going to need to live where it's warm but it would be nice to get to snow within a couple hours of home. Possibly have a cabin or something up there.

What about jobs?

What's a typical 3BR house run?

What are good cities or towns to look into?

I dunno...guess just fill me in with whatever you think is pertinent.

Lord, give me patience. I'm afraid that if you give me strength I'll need bail money too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysam View Post
So I'm pushing to get out of MN in the next few years. I'm giving us 2 options- FL or AZ. Love FL, used to live there, know what to expect.

Got a few questions about AZ-

The wife loves snow. Where does it snow in AZ? I'm going to need to live where it's warm but it would be nice to get to snow within a couple hours of home. Possibly have a cabin or something up there.

What about jobs?

What's a typical 3BR house run?

What are good cities or towns to look into?

I dunno...guess just fill me in with whatever you think is pertinent.
If you like the snow Prescott & Prescott valley are nice areas to live in. It snows 5-6 times a year there. If you like real snow Flagstaff gets a ton a year! There's work in both towns depending on what your looking for. I have been looking at renting near Prescott Valley/Dewy renting $990-1200 month gets you a decent house in a nice area.

Here's a great way to search www.searchtempest.com

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #3 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Tucson is the place. Not as hot as Phoenix and it has the southern most ski slope in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Rock God

If you dont mind being a couple hours from snow, then pretty much anywhere in phoenix you can be in flagstaff in around 2 hours. Phoenix does get hot, last year i think hottest days were 118, but it really isnt terrible. its suppose to be 104 today, so it warms up kinda quick, but like i said, it is definatly bearable. Depending on what ya do, theres lots of job oppourtunites. I live in Surprise which is kinda north and very west of phoenix, its a great area for families, lots of parks, tree's and the trail is pretty close by. When we first moved here about a year and a half ago our 3 bdrm house we rented was $750 a month... it was a newer house and was perfect for us at that time. We now own a brand new 5 bdrm house for $200 more a month...

Hope that helps, but all the markets can really change in a few years. Who knows what housing prices will be, or jobs, or anything.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

I love AZ. I am one of the rare people who was born and raised here and would never live anywhere else. For the most part I love the weather here, it does get hot, but is better than tornados, hurricanes, blizzards and the like. Also there is nothing more beautiful than a desert monsoon, when it actually rains. The smell in the air to the humidity.

As for snow, there a lot of options. Flagstaff gets dumped on every winter, that’ll be the biggest city with the most snow. There are other places like Prescott, Show Low, Greer, and Payson. Payson being a quick drive from Phoenix.

As for home prices, it varies widely. Gilbert/Chandler area will run approximately ~150K-200K. You can check out Laveen (far SW Phoenix) a home there will run probably between 90K-150K depending on size and area.

All of my wife’s family lives in Tucson, and as I said I love my state, but I wouldn’t live in Tucson unless I had to. My 1st choice is the Phx metro area. Do your research on some of the real estate websites like Trulia.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #6 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
I love AZ. I am one of the rare people who was born and raised here and would never live anywhere else. For the most part I love the weather here, it does get hot, but is better than tornados, hurricanes, blizzards and the like. Also there is nothing more beautiful than a desert monsoon, when it actually rains. The smell in the air to the humidity.

As for snow, there a lot of options. Flagstaff gets dumped on every winter, that’ll be the biggest city with the most snow. There are other places like Prescott, Show Low, Greer, and Payson. Payson being a quick drive from Phoenix.

As for home prices, it varies widely. Gilbert/Chandler area will run approximately ~150K-200K. You can check out Laveen (far SW Phoenix) a home there will run probably between 90K-150K depending on size and area.

All of my wife’s family lives in Tucson, and as I said I love my state, but I wouldn’t live in Tucson unless I had to. My 1st choice is the Phx metro area. Do your research on some of the real estate websites like Trulia.

-Dan
I'd say Dan is pretty spot on. The more I have thought about moving from Phoenix the more I realize how great it is here. I prefer the North Phoenix/North Scottsdale area myself, but it can be a little pricey depending on where you look.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #7 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Garage

Wouldn't mind going back to Phoenix myself.. I lived in Glendale, went to school there from 90 to 92 ish and liked it alot... i am sure its changed alot since then.

Brent, Mosse512, lives in Scottsdale now and he likes it as well.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to toklas Send a message via MSN to toklas Send a message via Yahoo to toklas Send a message via Skype™ to toklas

i live in Los Angeles and currently working in Phoenix (past year). nice town.. LOTS of Jeeps.. I mean LOTS!!! as poster above mentioned north phoenix is nice. and if you have the cash scottsdale is even better.

as for heat... it gets hot... don't let them kid you 118 is hot!!!!! dry heat or not.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Granite Guru

I love it in Arizona! I just moved here in October. I like north Phoenix, even Cave Creek area, lots of JK guys in the area too.

Maricopa is 16 miles off I10 if you don't mind not being in the metro area. Houses are cheaper too.

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #10 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Tucson sucks, you don't want to live down there! Bunch of mall crawlin posers down there! Tucson is a decent place, but not as big as Phoenix.

Phoenix central sucks for the most part now. Really run down. The outskirts are nice. Scan back through the AZ BS'ers thread, we covered a lot of this for glomb23 because he is moving here from NJ sometime at the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

I live in Prescott and love it. It doesn't get as hot as Phoenix, it's snowed once since I moved here in Jan. A 20 min drive up Mingus Mountain had 20" of snow for me to play in. Phoenix is an 80 mile drive south. Sedona is 30 - 45 min away. Lots or great wheeling. Cleaner air up here in Prescott, no traffic. Lots of older retired people, but still lots of stuff to do in the younger crowd. I don't ever want to leave AZ.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #12 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Rock God

Looks like everyone pretty much summed it up. Get out here some time and take a couple days to drive around to find what you like.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Everyone did sum it up pretty well. Best thing you can do is go out and visit like I recently did. My lady and I were focusing on Phoenix, but that may not suite you if you're looking for somewhere a bit cooler. We loved our time out there and can't wait to move. We were a bit more partial to the east valley, but there's great spots in the west valley as well.

Greg
post #14 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Wouldn't mind going back to Phoenix myself.. I lived in Glendale, went to school there from 90 to 92 ish and liked it alot... i am sure its changed alot since then.

Brent, Mosse512, lives in Scottsdale now and he likes it as well.
You would be blown away! Its not the same place! I came here in '92 to scout the area out and moved over from San Diego in 1994. Times have changed in Phoenix!

Jason

480-788-7245 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #15 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Granite Guru

Oh man Jason you aren't kidding! I lived in Phoenix in 94 then moved back last October. Holy crap it must've doubled!

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #16 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Oh man Jason you aren't kidding! I lived in Phoenix in 94 then moved back last October. Holy crap it must've doubled!
Or trippled! The 202 was a dead end the 51 was a dead end and the 101 was nothing more than a few bridges that didnt connect anywhere. Deer Valley rd was the last stop north of town, now anthem is! Times have changed although Phoenix was a large city for me considering I lived in a town with less than a 1000 people.

Jason

480-788-7245 or

/
/

post #17 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you all. Lots of good info here. I'm hoping to make a scouting trip in the next year or so.

At least there are lots of options. I was worried it would like "It snows 'here' but you can't find decent work within 5 hours and if you do housing is insane."

Lord, give me patience. I'm afraid that if you give me strength I'll need bail money too.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
...slightly sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Tucson sucks, you don't want to live down there! Bunch of mall crawlin posers down there!
<-- note the avatar, we do both though:

really though, tucson is better! if you like the amenities of the big city without the big city.

we get snow many years close by on mt lemmon, but if you need annual snow close by then phoenix is probably a safer bet.

|
|
post #19 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Rock God

The only bad things about phoenix really i can think of is the air quality (mainly due to dust) and allergies go Fucking Psycho... I lived in San Diego my entire life, never ever had any allergy issues. for the past 3 weeks/ month ive done nothing but sneeze, blow my nose and scratch my eyes. Ive been dying.

Other than that tho, there really isnt to much bad.

Jason, Where in San diego did u live at before u moved here? i was born in Mission valley, but moved to poway when i was 5.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
if you like the amenities of the big city without the big city.
x100, I moved from the big cities if the east and couldn't be happier than I am in tucson, so there
post #21 of 23 Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
x100, I moved from the big cities if the east and couldn't be happier than I am in tucson, so there
LOL, my wife and sister and law had the opposite feeling. They moved out of Tucson for Phoenix.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #22 of 23 Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Rock God

Na, you all are wrong in location. Way down here way South of Tucson in Rio Rico. No jobs so you can relax all the time. Migrant workers coming by all the time though your back yard offering to help clean the cactus so you have more time to relax and wheel. Gee, what more could one ask for! LOL

I'd go with Prescott or that area!!!!

post #23 of 23 Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
<-- note the avatar, we do both though:

really though, tucson is better! if you like the amenities of the big city without the big city.

we get snow many years close by on mt lemmon, but if you need annual snow close by then phoenix is probably a safer bet.
Just saw this! Awesome!

Just had to bust some balls... I know you guys wheel down there!

Tucson is a decent place, definitely worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 06-03-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode