Is this considered powertrain?!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Is this considered powertrain?!?

(SORRY PICTURES ARE SO BIG) Hey guys while crawling under my rig to remove to twigs/small branches from my last run i saw this. I know it is the front drive shaft bushing (i am pretty sure at least) where it goes into the transmission. But i was wondering if that is part of the powertrain (and under my lifetime warranty). Anyone know and if not how hard is it to fix?

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by opustm; 06-19-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Kissed the warranty on a driveshaft goodbye a long time ago when you put that 3" lift on it. Need a new driveshaft.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Kissed the warranty on a driveshaft goodbye a long time ago when you put that 3" lift on it. Need a new driveshaft.
do i need a whole shaft or can that part (is it the yoke or CV joint) be replaced...if i hadnt done a lift would it be covered? Or is it an external part so not covered regardless?

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
JKO Addict!

It'd probably be covered without a lift, but its very likely it never would have failed without the lift as well. Someone may sell a service joint, but through MOPAR it's all one unit.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by opustm View Post
do i need a whole shaft or can that part (is it the yoke or CV joint) be replaced...if i hadnt done a lift would it be covered? Or is it an external part so not covered regardless?
I'm pretty sure you have to replace the whole drive shaft. There is no parts support for it.

It is part of the drive train, and would be covered under normal circumstances.

Yours probably won't be covered. It won't hurt to ask. Just let them look at the drive shaft, and don't mention the lift.

If you install another drive shaft just like it, the same thing will happen again.

Looks like it's time for an aftermarket drive shaft. There are lots of threads on the subject.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #6 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Rock God

I'm sure someone around town will have a spare for you. I just gave mine to Ben a couple weeks ago.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #7 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
I'm sure someone around town will have a spare for you. I just gave mine to Ben a couple weeks ago.
I'm going to swing by camp and see what he has...i am hoping he has the shafts from the Kraken laying around. How hard are they to put in?

post #8 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned

There's a dude selling a stock drive shaft from JKO out in Cali. Might work out for you.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72295

post #9 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Your stock driveshaft will last for quite a while with that torn boot.

Driveshafts are super easy to install

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #10 of 17 Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Rock God

Carry a wrench that fits the front drive shaft bolts that bolt to the front axle. Disconnect front drive shaft, tie it up, bolt it up and use it only when you go wheeling, will last for years using it like that. Really,,,, do you need that drive shaft while your buzzing up and down the highway? I didn't think so.

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
post #11 of 17 Old 05-11-2012, 03:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Mine was covered and I have a 3 inch lift!! Hope this helps ya!

Just looked at my receipt I have a 2.5 lift on the rear and it was my rear drive shafts that broke!! Sorry didn't mean to get your hopes up... But if I were you I'd give it a try!! All they could say is NO...

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.

Last edited by KevinJBurt; 05-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

As affordable as some of the aftermarket shafts are, I'd just upgrade it to a good aftermarket. I got my Adams driveshaft from Stomper Offroad for $325 shipped. Pretty reasonable in the long run.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Rock God

I will be in surprise in 2 weeks and I have a spare front if you need it.

Nothing to say at this time.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #14 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
I will be in surprise in 2 weeks and I have a spare front if you need it.

Nothing to say at this time.
Thank you for the offer!!!...i just left the dealership and it is considered powertrain and they are going to replace it under warranty later this week.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Rock God

Thats cool that they are covering it, what dealership?
post #16 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloJeff View Post
Thats cool that they are covering it, what dealership?
yes....It's the deaership i bought if from....they did the 2 motor swaps and the multiple clutches....i took it showed them the picture, they talked to the head of the shop and he said it was considered powertrain and under the lifetime warranty.

Last edited by opustm; 05-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Rock God

Was just curious about what dealership it was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode