Possibly moving to the Phoenix area and need some advice / suggestions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Possibly moving to the Phoenix area and need some advice / suggestions

My wife and I have been discussing moving to the Phoenix area for a job promotion she has been offered. It will be a great career move for her and an even better financial move for our family. Her office will be in Mesa and we are looking for a family friendly area with excellent schools and daycare that will also have all the conveniences we need close by ie. Church, doctors, grocery store, gym, home depot, 4wd shop, etc.. We would like something within 30 minutes of her office and the same time frame to a major airport for me. We would like to lease a home in the $1700-$2000 price range that is less than 10 years old, at least 2200 sq ft + a 3 car garage(if possible), and must have a big back yard with grass and hopefully some trees(I know it's the desert). I am a country boy born and raised on a ranch in south east Texas so the large lot size and greenery are really important to me and our 2 dogs. Actually I would be happy with a 3 car garage/apartment on a couple of acres, but I don't think that would fly with the wife and our soon to be born son! We will be their next weekend (from the 14th to the 17th) to look around and check out the area. I look forward to your input and happy Easter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Granite Guru

Well first thing you need to know about Phoenix/Mesa is land is rare. Most ever 5-10 mile radius is it's own little enclosed community (schools, shops, entertainment, churches) are usually very close. Most homes have 1/2 acre or less and are usually part of a housing community. If you want space you will have to go out to say florence or east of Apache Junction to area's that still have land (not developed). If you need any more info let me know. I have lived here over 20yrs and know people east and west valley.
San Tan Valley/Queen creek has lots and lots of empty homes waiting for owners and they have open space around them more than most places in the east valley

Here are some links to give you an idea of what is out there (i just use it for research)

http://www.phoenixazrealestateguide.com/ - you can find rentals or for sale homes (search by zip code or schools)

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindexphp/STATE_AZ.html (here work should be able to give you a list of school districts nearby)

http://www.mpsaz.org/schools/locator --mesa schools

p.s. we have trees and grass and bushes.....but the high country will be heaven for you

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by opustm; 04-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info, opustm! We have been told from some of her coworkers that live out there to look in chandler, Scottsdale, and Ahwutakee. Where is the high country? I would be happy with a half acre lot and nice yard. This will be temporary for now (between 2 and 3 years) unless something else changes. That's why we are only looking to lease something for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Granite Guru

High country is at least an hour away in any direction. The valley (scottsdale, mesa, phoenix, chandler, Apache Junction, Awhatuekee, etc) are not really big on land. You can try to find horse property for rent as they usually are an acre or so. Apache Junction might be your best bet. Scottsdale is a nice area but a bit higher priced. Where exactly will she be working? Do you want public, private, or faith based schools?

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Her office will be off of West Baseline rd and South Alma School rd. We really don't need a bunch of land, a 1/4 to 1/2 an acre will be fine. I just don't want my neighbors right on top of me. The schools aren't the most important thing as of now since our son will only be 2 to 3 months old when we move out there. I've just found that quality school districts tend to be located in the nicer areas of town. At least thats how it is around here. I've been looking on line in Chandler, Scottsdale, Glendale, and Mesa and have found a few that we like.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah good luck with finding a place where neighbors arent on top of each other....the reason i dont own a home is the houses here you can play catch with your neighbor without throwing hard...everyone is on top of each other. I came from a home that sat on 3 acres with 1000 acres farm around it and the only place you can find a home with land is one of the few rara places still zoned for horse property. They do exist buy you have to look for them. I will ask around of those that live in the East Valley or i know there are a few members on here out that way that might chime in. Also the older homes tend to have more land as all the new stuff was built during the housing boom where developers were cramming as many homes into a development as possible.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Look on trulia.com for places to rent. You can narrow your search down quite a bit. You can find some Gems that are in a neighborhood but sit on about a 1/4 acre in the Valley. If you look at Apache Junction, you won't be 30 min away from Sky Harbor, our main international airport. Since your wife will work near the Mesa/Tempe area Ahwatukee (still Phoenix) will be a good central location and since a lot of the homes are "older" they are very nice and on bigger lots as opposed to the cookie cutter "newer" homes.

Ahwatukee is close to the I-10/US 60 so getting to your wife's work will be easy. It is also about 15 minutes to the Airport.

Streets to consider when looking in Ahwatukee: Elliott, Warner and Ray Rd's for your east/west bound streets and anything west of the I-10

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold

Last edited by Daniel_M; 04-10-2012 at 02:42 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks I'll check out Trulia and those areas when I get home this evening. We plan on spending most of Saturday and Sunday just driving around and checking stuff out so we can narrow down the areas where we want to look.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM

I live in Chandler and I work in Queen Creek. I think Queen Creek comes the closest to meeting your criteria. Growth has not overtaken that area yet, and you can get bigger lots at more reasonable prices.

A little known fact is that the Queen Creek School Disctrict is an A+ school district and all of their schools are either A's or A+'s. Class sizes are a little smaller than in the bigger cities around here. Of course, that benefits the student's learning.

So that's my two cents!! By the way, I am a teacher for the Queen Creek District. That's how I know all about this stuff. Queen Creek is still under the radar out here and it's a closer guarded secret.

I think you'd like it. At least check the area out if you get a chance. That's the closest thing to "country-like" living you will find around the Phoenix Metro area.

Feel free to message me if you have any things that I can help you out with.

Jon
post #10 of 18 Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

i agree with JVD...they actually recently seperated queen cree into queen creek and san tan valley...san tan is a little more out there and might have more land options. I have friends out there and is like a vaction from the valley when i go to san tan valley...but you are looking at about 35-60miles to her work (about 30-45min)....definately worth the drive out there.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

We just landed at sky harbor! Now the fun begins.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

My lady and I just got back from the Phoenix area checking out places to live. We absolutely loved it! Best luck to you on your search. Be prepared for lots of driving because it really is a big sprawl.

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

Greg
post #13 of 18 Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to the jungle! Hopefully you're aware of our annual heat heat index.

If you are arriving today you are experiencing our winter.

2015 JKU Copper-Brown Rubicon (aka: No Name Yet)
24-yrs Air Force Retired
post #14 of 18 Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

I love it here!! Just moved here in October. I can't wait to b$&ch about the heat!!

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #15 of 18 Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMyke View Post
Welcome to the jungle! Hopefully you're aware of our annual heat heat index.

If you are arriving today you are experiencing our winter.
I'm good with the heat, it's kinda what I do for living. plus I'm used to the 105*/99.9% humidity during our 6-8 months of summer in Houston
post #16 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Doesn't get much hotter than that! At least you can now experience the "dry heat" @ 111 degrees

2015 JKU Copper-Brown Rubicon (aka: No Name Yet)
24-yrs Air Force Retired
post #17 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Granite Guru

"dry heat"..... Like a blow torch haha

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #18 of 18 Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Welcome to Phoenix guys. Look into Gilbert or south Gilbert / Mesa. You will know Butcher Jones buy the end of the month like the back of your hand lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode