AZ vacation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
AZ vacation

Ok, guys (and gals), the family and I are considering a vacation in AZ in the mid-August timeframe.

Main goal will be to see the Grand Canyon, but I'm looking for other ideas.

Also, I'm planning to contact Barlow Jeep Rentals (Jeep School here on JKO) to set up a JK rental and would most definitely like to get some wheeling in while I'm out that way.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Slide Rock State Park would be a cool place to check out if your bringing kids. Has a natural water slide cut out into the red rock, and swimming areas in the creek. Lots of great trails in Sedona, Prescott, and in between all the way down to Phoenix. If you head to Sedona, I'd check out historic Jerome. Not really much there, but it's an old gold mining town that is literally crammed into the side of a very steep mountain, the Mingus Mountains which reach almost 8k foot elevation. The drive through the Mingus mountains is one of the most scenic I've ever done, through the Prescott National Forest.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi

Last edited by highoctane; 03-03-2012 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Rock God

Sedon has great trails. Slide Rock will probably be closed due to high bacteria count (eeew)
Jerome and Smiley Rock trail.
Grand Canyon is best to be seen from the North Rim. Rent a cabin and stay the night. You won't regret it.
While up that way you can take a trip through Southern Utah. Escalante, Capital Reef, Dixie Forest, etc.
Then back through Moab and Monument Valley. Stay at the View Hotel. All rooms have a balcony facing Mitten View for sunrise.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

My advice (as so far everyone has covered everything)....dont come any further south than Verde Valley/Prescott. The weather in the high country is what gets us through the heat (august will be 100-110+ daily)....you might also want to check out the back side of Mt. Weather (Flagstaff) as there are some very senic hiking areas. Also Nena (Barlow) has information on how to drive into the canyon (real treat) and you might want to look into that as well. If you have the time i concur and 100% recomend going to the north rim.

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
post #5 of 36 Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM

It will be hot, even in the Sedona area. Expect temps in the mid to upper 90's.

Even at that, it's worth a day, or half day depending on what you want to spend on a rental.

Quote:
Barlow Rates:

Half-day (up to 4-hours)
The half-day is plenty of time to do one or two Sedona trails. Same rate for any Jeep, 2-door or 4-door. $195/Jeep

Full-Day (up to 24 hours)
Enjoy a wider range of available trails, with time for a sunset. Same rate for any Jeep, 2-door or 4-door. $295/Jeep

Multi-day rates available
Please call for current rates: 928-282-8700, or toll free: 888-928-JEEP.
If you decide to do that, I'd recommend Broken Arrow for the half day - super scenic, with a few fun challenges. For the full day, do Broken Arrow in the morning, break for lunch in town, then go out to the Outlaw Trail (backwards offers better veiws in my opinion - no big deal since it isn't an official one way route) and visit the Honanke Cliff dwelling for the afternoon. That route will get you off the truely beaten path to some extent.

Mark

PS: If you want to really get really remote on a full day, PM me for directions for a longer trip that involves a short hike to a ruin. It is hot - you will need to be prepared for high temps in the back country. The trails are easy, but you are a looooooong way off the normal tourist track.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Guys, this is gonna happen. We've got our reservations in Sedona from 15-20 August. We'll be in the wifey's Commander and hopefully, it'll have a RK 2" lift and 245/75-17's on it by then. So, I'm not looking to do anything too excessive, but I'd like to get out and see some trails.

Also, planning on going to Moab for a couple nights (and one full day) after we leave Sedona (21-22 August) and wheeling some easy trails on the 22nd. Can I wheel the easy trails without another vehicle? Obviously, I wouldn't be doing anything crazy, but I'd be hoping for some views and I'd kill myself if I drove all the way to Sedona and didn't go by Moab, too.

On that note, does anyone wanna make the Sedona to Moab trip for a couple nights when we head up that way.

Also, Barlow will help me out with directions, suggestions, etc. even if I don't rent from them, right?

Quote:

post #7 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Also, any suggestions on camping in Moab?

Quote:

post #8 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Rock God

The people at Barlows are really helpful. They have maps of the area and will give you recommendations on trails/food/places to stay and yes they will help you out even if you dont rent from them.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds good.

Anyone wanna get a M&G going for the weekend of the 18th/19th? Would be cool to get a few guys together to go out to one of the easier/scenic trails in the area, too.

I can, obviously, do it any day while I'm there, but I figure weekends might be better for most of you guys who live out there.

Quote:

post #10 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

I live 45 min from Sedona. Great trails and scenery there. I always swing by Barlow's for trail maps, was just over there last weekend. Even the hardest trails can be done in a stock JK. I have never had to use my lockers in Sedona. I'm down for a M&G anytime the week you're here.

Semper Fi
post #11 of 36 Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds good.

I'm thinking it'd be cool to get a few guys together on Saturday, do a few easy trails, and then dinner.

Quote:

post #12 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

bump

Quote:

post #13 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Depending on my work schedule during that time, I wouldn't mind shooting up there and doing a run with you guys... I have not had the chance to go out on any of the trails in the Sedona area in my JK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #14 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

None of the trails in Sedona are really difficult, but they are absolutely gorgeous scenery, and are fun as hell, even on 37s. I've run 4 or 5 of the trails there. LOTS of places to eat. The brewery there has the best food in Sedona IMHO, and is on the way back from Broken Arrow to uptown Sedona/Hwy89.

Semper Fi
post #15 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Depending on my work schedule during that time, I wouldn't mind shooting up there and doing a run with you guys... I have not had the chance to go out on any of the trails in the Sedona area in my JK...
Check with your wife first I think she has plans for you BOY!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #16 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Pot, I believe you've met kettle. Jason, you definitely have no room to talk monkey boy...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #17 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Guys, let's not fight about it. I'm hoping for 4-6 hours on some easy trails, then a nice dinner afterwards. Can you guys come up with a plan for that?

Is Broken Arrow doable in my XK?

Quote:

post #18 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Pot, I believe you've met kettle. Jason, you definitely have no room to talk monkey boy...
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Guys, let's not fight about it. I'm hoping for 4-6 hours on some easy trails, then a nice dinner afterwards. Can you guys come up with a plan for that?

Is Broken Arrow doable in my XK?
We are joking...kind of!

Yeah stock 4x4 anything can do Broken Arrow

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #19 of 36 Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Even a Compass or Geo Tracker?

Just kiddin', I was lookin' at some videos of that trail. Looks awesome.

Quote:

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 07-05-2012 at 05:57 PM.
post #20 of 36 Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Rock God

Im off that weekend so I might be up for a trip to Sedona.
post #21 of 36 Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Even a Compass or Geo Tracker?

Just kiddin', I was lookin' at some videos of that trail. Looks awesome.
Local club ran Broken Arrow last weekend with two of the previous gen Grand Cherokees with ifs, one stock, and one with a 2" lift and stock rubi wheels and tires. Neither had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Semper Fi
post #22 of 36 Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, it's in the works. RK lift is ordered. Ordering tires tomorrow. ARB fridge is ordered.

Can't wait.

Did we ever get anything firm scheduled for the weekend while we're there? Would love to get some JKOers together, wheel so easy trails for 4-6-8 hours or so, then get some dinner somewhere semi-nice.

Quote:

post #23 of 36 Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

All the cards are in place now.
  • XK is lifted
  • Falken 265/70-17 tires are installed
  • Spare tire is in its location (after careful modification of the hitch)
  • ARB fridge is here (and passed its initial test weekend wheeling at Rausch Creek with me)
  • Roof rack cargo carrier is installed
  • Hitch mount carrier is here...
  • Got a Gorilla Box for the hitch mount carrier
  • Oil changed to Mobil 1 this morning
  • Fumoto valve installed
  • New Bilstein rear shocks installed

I'm ready to do this!

Can you tell I'm excited?

As it stands now, our trip looks like 10 August to 28 August with a grand total of 6,500 miles + or - a few and approximately 116 hours of driving. This is gonna be EPIC!

Quote:

post #24 of 36 Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Now we just need to define the times and meeting places for the 18th. Looking forward to that weekend!

Quote:
post #25 of 36 Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've already posted where I'm staying. I just need the local guys to figure out when. As far as where, maybe we should see if Barlow minds if we meet up in their parking lot. We could hit them up for info before we leave if we need it. Heck, I will probably have gone down to talk to them for a bit before the 18th anyway.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode