Free CAD Design - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Free CAD Work

I am in the process of learning SolidWorks, and figured I would get some practice by designing some Jeep parts, and I figured out would reach out to my local Jeepers first.

So, what do you guys need? As of now, I'm limited to pretty simple stuff. I can do lots of flat brackets, but nothing really with CNC bends in it. I can do two brackets to weld up to each other, but that's it basically.

Here are a couple things I have made so far, just to give you an idea of what is possible:

"Free CAD work, that's awesome! But what do I do once it's designed?"

I get all of my stuff waterjet cut at a local shop. Most of the stuff runs between $3-$15 for the material and the cutting. I have cut between 1/8" and 1/4" A36 steel from them, which should cover any brackets needed on a Jeep.

So shoot me some simple ideas for stuff you guys need and I'll see what I can come up with. I am doing this in my spare time, so it will probably take me a couple days for a normal design.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor

Last edited by axsys; 01-27-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Thats pretty cool man, how are you learning? Teaching yourself?

-Scott S.-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Skip SolidWorks. Learn CATiA and ProE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleJK4x4 View Post
Thats pretty cool man, how are you learning? Teaching yourself?
Yep, I have a degree in Digital Animation, so I'm familiar with a lot of the same tools, just a different application for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Skip SolidWorks. Learn CATiA and ProE.
SolidWorks is what I have available to me, and is simple enough for what I am doing.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Rock God

Nice work. Catia is by the same folks how made solidworks so the basics for it aren't difficult. It is much more capable than solidworks though.

Word of advice. On drawings if you have the same dimension for a hole or something multiple times write COMMON on the first whole. It will clean them up a lot.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Rock God

SW is some pretty powerful stuff if you know how to use it. Since you're local, you might want to check out Gateway's classes; I hear they're pretty good. I took Mastercam there (for my certification) and the instructor is top notch. The instructor for SW there (I think she's in charge over the entire MET section) I hear is a great instructor. As soon as my schedule at ASU lightens up, I'll be taking them. I'm self-taught as well, but wouldn't mind learning the "right" way to do things. I'm very interested in SW's FEA capabilities as well as other modules...

-WRM
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Granite Guru

Solidworks is an excellent program. Very user friendly and worth learning, especially for 3D modeling. As mentioned earlier, ProE is also pretty incredible. For me, when I was doing A LOT of 3D modeling, I preferred ProE, but many people I knew loved Solidworks instead. Really just personal preference... Very cool though, good luck!

2008 Steel Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon
RE 4.5" LA
37" KM2's on 17x8.5 MB72's
Poly Tie Rod, Poly Steering Relo, Poly Draglink
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
Crossed Up Offroad Custom Winch Bumper
sPOD system, Cobra 75
Mopar Transmission Cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode