New guy to Phoenix area looking for some advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New guy to Phoenix area looking for some advice

Hello all,

Like the title says i'm new to the Phoenix area and looking for some advice on a few things.

I'm looking for a good shop to take my JK if i need to. I normally do all my own work but i'm itching to get some air between my JK and the ground and not sure if i want to wait for all my tools to be shipped from Alaska! regardless i'll need to get a alignment after the lift anyway. I'd like to find a wheeler friendly shop. maybe specializes in jeeps? I'm pretty protective of my JK and don't want to let just anyone with a wrench digging around in it

Also, i seen a post about local trails but being i'm REALLY new i'm looking for directions to the trailheads. i'm not sure about land use around here, In Alaska there isn't much in the line of restrictions.

Anyone have any lines on local clubs?

thanks

09 2 DR Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my JK is my addiction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Granite Guru

A.Z.V.J.C. We have runs posted all the time.

07 2dr 35s 3.5 spring lift,rear 4.5 front 488s winch, TnTfront stinger bumper,flow master exhaust.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara mist View Post
A.Z.V.J.C. We have runs posted all the time.
okay great! posted here?

09 2 DR Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my JK is my addiction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Hello all,

Like the title says i'm new to the Phoenix area and looking for some advice on a few things.

I'm looking for a good shop to take my JK if i need to. I normally do all my own work but i'm itching to get some air between my JK and the ground and not sure if i want to wait for all my tools to be shipped from Alaska! regardless i'll need to get a alignment after the lift anyway. I'd like to find a wheeler friendly shop. maybe specializes in jeeps? I'm pretty protective of my JK and don't want to let just anyone with a wrench digging around in it

Also, i seen a post about local trails but being i'm REALLY new i'm looking for directions to the trailheads. i'm not sure about land use around here, In Alaska there isn't much in the line of restrictions.

thanks
Welcome! If you feel inclined to tackle it yourself, make friends with some of us locals, bring lots of beer, and i'm sure someone will open up a garage and some tools to help you lift your rig. What were you thinking for lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Welcome! If you feel inclined to tackle it yourself, make friends with some of us locals, bring lots of beer, and i'm sure someone will open up a garage and some tools to help you lift your rig. What were you thinking for lift?
Cool! I'm thinking a RK 3.5 Mid Arm with some 35's with stock flares. i've built a few rigs but this is my first coil set up, gotta email Marcus and pick his brain see what else i'll need. driveshafts ect...

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #6 of 25 Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Cool! I'm thinking a RK 3.5 Mid Arm with some 35's with stock flares. i've built a few rigs but this is my first coil set up, gotta email Marcus and pick his brain see what else i'll need. driveshafts ect...
Great choice on vendor (Marcus is awesome). Great choice on the color (Mango Tango)! When you're ready, I may be able to assist (schedule at work).

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

lifting Jk's is pretty easy....i did mine in a gargage with the help of one male friend with no mechanical skills (just needed the muscle). As for running trails there are literally thousands here in AZ but remember like Alaska, Arizona has some desolate and remote areas that if you go alone could be the last anyone sees of you, so please never go out alone. We lost a wheeler locally last year who was less than 20miles outside of town near the busiest lake we have and it took over 2 weeks to locate him and his rig (and it was too late by then)....as to shops. There is Todd at Desert fab, Joe at Absolute Off-Road (something of a JK guru), Anyone at 4wheelsupply, Desert Rat has always treated me well and depending on where you are in the Valley there are 2 UfixIT location that will allow you to rent a lift and use all their air tools (i try to do most of my own work there) and when i need help i just post up and someone chivalrous always comes to my aid....hope to see you on trail soon and you need to put up some pictures.

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
post #8 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by opustm View Post
lifting Jk's is pretty easy....i did mine in a gargage with the help of one male friend with no mechanical skills (just needed the muscle). As for running trails there are literally thousands here in AZ but remember like Alaska, Arizona has some desolate and remote areas that if you go alone could be the last anyone sees of you, so please never go out alone. We lost a wheeler locally last year who was less than 20miles outside of town near the busiest lake we have and it took over 2 weeks to locate him and his rig (and it was too late by then)....as to shops. There is Todd at Desert fab, Joe at Absolute Off-Road (something of a JK guru), Anyone at 4wheelsupply, Desert Rat has always treated me well and depending on where you are in the Valley there are 2 UfixIT location that will allow you to rent a lift and use all their air tools (i try to do most of my own work there) and when i need help i just post up and someone chivalrous always comes to my aid....hope to see you on trail soon and you need to put up some pictures.
Thanks for all the info. That's terrible about the fellow wheeler.unfortunately Nature surely can bite back. Thank you for the warning. Looks like i'll need some wheelin' friends in the area.. which works for me. I will definitely be posting pics of the build as I go.

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #9 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
TJT
Rock God

post #10 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I will be attending that run. Hope I see some folks I know there.

Quote:
post #11 of 25 Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Damn, I still work in Alaska and commute back and forth from AZ to AK. I won't be home till Dec 22nd but i'll be off till the 6th so maybe ill be able to catch a event or tag along on a ride while i'm on my R&R

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #12 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Granite Guru

Mango Tango for the win! Would love to get you, JCTAZ, and myself together for a run. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[B]
*~* Brittany *~*
Need stock JK suspension parts? PM me!
post #13 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin_belle View Post
Mango Tango for the win! Would love to get you, JCTAZ, and myself together for a run. :-)

Sounds good to me, I'm still vertically challenged but that should change soon.

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #14 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:

It would be a sight for sure. A sport, a sporticon, and a rubicon. Almost sounds like the beginning of a bad bar joke.

Maybe Sunflower or something when he gets here?

Quote:
post #15 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Granite Guru

Absolutely, I can lead! Guy slap some stilettos under that JK and we'll go when you have the time.

[B]
*~* Brittany *~*
post #16 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=punkin_belle;981469]Absolutely, I can lead! Guy slap some stilettos under that JK and we'll go when you have the time.

Platforms with goldfish in em'

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #17 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Granite Guru

Just realized yours is a 2009 which would technically make it Sunburst Orange, but you can still hang. :-)

Punkin's stilettos are just a flat black - no goldfish - but they still get the job done!

[B]
*~* Brittany *~*
post #18 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Just realized yours is a 2009 which would technically make it Sunburst Orange, but you can still hang. :-)

Punkin's stilettos are just a flat black - no goldfish - but they still get the job done!
Someone just sent me a email saying the same thing, the dealer tag said mango tango so that's what I thought it was, that'll teach me to believe a toyota used car lot either way, it works. I was having a hard time saying Mango Tango with a straight face anyway

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #19 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Someone just sent me a email saying the same thing, the dealer tag said mango tango so that's what I thought it was, that'll teach me to believe a toyota used car lot either way, it works. I was having a hard time saying Mango Tango with a straight face anyway
Yeah, it is pretty gay.

[B]
*~* Brittany *~*
post #20 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it is pretty gay.
Well.... I wasn't gonna say it... but I was thinkin' it

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #21 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it is pretty gay.
Cuz SUNBURST ORANGE is super manly???? Now RED ROCK PEARL.....that is a color code....or RESCUE GREEN....good solid jeep colors...Brit i want in on the sunflower run (i mean how much more can i bend the tie rod, REALLY!!!)...you been promising me that RED and PUNKIN can play together soon!!

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
post #22 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hello all,

thanks
Really? Wow, welcome to AZ. One piece of advice, drink more water than you think (you'll need it) and drink a glass before bed, haha. Also, aren't PHX winters like Alaska summers? The PHX crew is a solid group of guys and won't steer you wrong... If you ever come down to Tucson, give us a shout, we'll show you a good time

2008 Steel Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon
RE 4.5" LA
37" KM2's on 17x8.5 MB72's
Poly Tie Rod, Poly Steering Relo, Poly Draglink
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
Crossed Up Offroad Custom Winch Bumper
sPOD system, Cobra 75
Mopar Transmission Cooler
post #23 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

Mango Tango the color isn't gay, but the name kind of is. I personally like it but I'm one of the girliest Jeep ladies I know. :-P

[B]
*~* Brittany *~*
post #24 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by opustm View Post
Cuz SUNBURST ORANGE is super manly???? Now RED ROCK PEARL.....that is a color code....or RESCUE GREEN....good solid jeep colors...Brit i want in on the sunflower run (i mean how much more can i bend the tie rod, REALLY!!!)...you been promising me that RED and PUNKIN can play together soon!!

I'm more of a primary color guy and add light or dark to said color, light red, red, dark red, light orange, orange, dark orange, ect ...its more manly anyway and before you say it, yeah I know orange, green and whatever isn't a primary color but its my joke and I think i'm hilaaaaarious.. even if everyone else is looking at me like i'm a idiot! Which happens... well.. a lot like the guy that doesn't know the color of his own rig. Just in case you were wondering that's me!

And with the case with bending the tie rod I guess that all depends on how much more toe in you need. Everyone has different ways of wrenching on their sh*t i'm not here to judge ( see... hilaaaarious! Why am I the only one laughing again? )

I hope to catch up to you all when I get into town, and hopefully not just so you can punch me in the temple

cheers

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #25 of 25 Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
Really? Wow, welcome to AZ. One piece of advice, drink more water than you think (you'll need it) and drink a glass before bed, haha. Also, aren't PHX winters like Alaska summers? The PHX crew is a solid group of guys and won't steer you wrong... If you ever come down to Tucson, give us a shout, we'll show you a good time
Thanks for the advice, yeah Alaska are kinda like the phoenix winters except for all the rain and cloudly days the last 5 years or so. I've had thirty years of two seasons... winter and road construction, im ready for a few years of the other two, spring and omfg my skin is melting!! Honestly I can't wait to bitch about the heat instead of the cold for awhile. I still work in Alaska, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off for the most part in the north slope oilfields so ill still get to be reminded of why I moved outta Alaska!

When I get down in your direction ill definitely let you know, I see lots of road trips in my future!

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction

Last edited by that_guy; 11-29-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode