Martinez Canyon Trail shape? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Martinez Canyon Trail shape?

So I'm heading home for Thanksgiving and want to do this trail with my Wife and 2 year old. We'll be leaving from Tucson Friday I'm guessing. So, how long does the trail take? Box canyon looks easy to the start of the trail, so how far can you actually go? I heard the trail is at a certain point but can't verify that.

If it is all open, it looks as though you go past the mine, lop around a hill, hen go down the luge back to the trail and back out the way you came, so a lollipop trail run.

Total time if we are moving good? I have a JKU rubi with 35's, teraflex arms, etc, and my buddy is in a LT 4x4 tacoma.

I'm wondering if all the rain you guys are getting tore the place up, so looking for updated trail condidtions!

Thanks locals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I'd need someone to confirm, but I believe Martinez is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 AM
...slightly sane.

martinez canyon loop is closed, the last report was you can still get all the way to the cabin though.

box canyon should still be an easy trail, but haven't been through it since early june. the rains may have moved stuff around, but can't imagine it would be changed drastically.

following box canyon through you can get to ajax mine trail, and upper sandman (which takes you back south towards tucson and elvis). several others, but the woodpecker trails were closed the same time as martinez canyon loop. the phoenix folks can probably shed more light on the north side of florence junction area, i'm still exploring that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
martinez canyon loop is closed, the last report was you can still get all the way to the cabin though.

box canyon should still be an easy trail, but haven't been through it since early june. the rains may have moved stuff around, but can't imagine it would be changed drastically.

following box canyon through you can get to ajax mine trail, and upper sandman (which takes you back south towards tucson and elvis). several others, but the woodpecker trails were closed the same time as martinez canyon loop. the phoenix folks can probably shed more light on the north side of florence junction area, i'm still exploring that way.
Box Canyon is still super simple and can be done with a stock Jeep. Your buddy would be fine there in his truck. We did Lower Ajax a couple of weekends ago, along with some other trails that I won't disclose on this thread... when I get home tonight I'll try to post pics. Cabin is technically closed as is Martinez Loop... so are the Coke Ovens. I've never done Upper Ajax, Elvis, or anything gnarly out there so can't offer much as far as those go.

[B]
*~* Brittany *~*
Need stock JK suspension parts? PM me!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

cool, good news and bad news... Dunno if the poaching run is worth it, but from google earth it looks like box canyon and surrounding areas look fun, id like to get a few scratches from AZ on the Jeep

Might just do chiva and frog hollow instead... but any more info, i'd appreciate it!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 AM
...slightly sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
id like to get a few scratches from AZ on the Jeep
chimney rock trail and charouleau gap (especially with the rains) are great trails to get some az scratches.

|
|
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Wheeler

In FJ, Lower Woodpecker, Woody's Wash, Martinez Cabin and Canyon, Broken Ankle, Xtasy, Overdose, and Jawbreaker, Coke Ovens, and Red (Death) Hill are all closed.

Lower Ajax, Upper Ajax, Upper Woodpecker, Bad Medicine, Axle Alley, Highway to Hell, Jackhandle, Box Canyon are all open and legal trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode