Jeep JK Rubicon Outer Stub Axle - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jeep JK Rubicon Outer Stub Axle

Anybody got one for sale or to give....seems i need one on the drivers side...I am finding them on-line from $90 (oem)-$200 (upgraded). But seeing how i have to move in a little over a month i am trying to minimize expenses . I have not called local shops yet as i am hoping one of you guys who has beefed up your rigs and redone your axles might be willing to part with the part

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

or does anyone know any shops that might have them less than OEM? I found some on Quadratec for $90 but i would prefer to stay local....

'08 4dr Red Rock Pearl3" lift, 35's, locked, sleeved+ gussetted, Iron bull front bumper, reverse solar charger, bumpin tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lots of driveshafts out there, not axle parts?

Last edited by opustm; 08-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Rock God

You can buy my D30 shaft and remove the outer from it if you want. PM me if you're interested.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #5 of 31 Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
You can buy my D30 shaft and remove the outer from it if you want. PM me if you're interested.
It's a D44....D30 wont work?

post #6 of 31 Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by opustm View Post
It's a D44....D30 wont work?
Pretty sure they use the exact same outers.

RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #7 of 31 Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Pretty sure they use the exact same outers.
let me make sure before we talk price...i thought the D44 was thicker or heavier duty or something like that...i know when i looked online for them there was a different part# for a D30 and D44

post #8 of 31 Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Rock God

Yep, after more research the D44s use a different ujoint, I thought it was the same as the 30.

Last edited by axsys; 08-13-2011 at 09:45 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yep, after more research the D44s use a different ujoint, I thought it was the same as the 30.
thanks for the offer anyway ...I think i have a line on one...full shaft wit Ujoint and all...simple swap out and done.

post #10 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

SO how much longer before i really am doing damage can i drive on this???
I have to run errands (about 20miles or so) tomorrow and was going to take my RIG (as i have no other car)....i have a full stock front driver axle (inner, ujoint, outer) coming in the mail (from a member in NJ for FREE!!!!).

sorry about the size of the pic...didnt know how to shrink it

Last edited by opustm; 09-21-2011 at 11:15 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Pull the axle and stuff a rag in it with a ziplock or something around it. Watch your gear lube level..that's what I would do if I had to go somewhere.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Rock God

Yea, I would pull it if you can. If it catches while you're driving it could be really bad.

post #13 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

but it is the outer stub...isnt that what holds the wheel on? if i pull the axle how will the front wheel stay attached? Sorry if that is a dumb question?

post #14 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

No you will not lose your wheel. The wheel is held on by the unit bearing. The Axle shaft just runs through the unit bearing. Once you get it apart you can see what everyone is talking about.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5973

Yes you should really take it out before something really really bad happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.

Last edited by Uncle Sams Misguided Child; 08-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
post #15 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
but it is the outer stub...isnt that what holds the wheel on? if i pull the axle how will the front wheel stay attached? Sorry if that is a dumb question?
On the JK you don't need the outer stub as the unit bearing is a self-contained piece. On TJs and everything else you do, but not the JK. I drove mine around for a few weeks with no outers, so don't worry.

post #16 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
On the JK you don't need the outer stub as the unit bearing is a self-contained piece. On TJs and everything else you do, but not the JK. I drove mine around for a few weeks with no outers, so don't worry.
wish i would have known that 2 weeks ago...i have been letting it sit and walking or getting rids since it broke...thanks for the 411

post #17 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Up until today you said you needed an outer stub shaft. Only today you posted a pic then after everyone telling you that you really shouldn't be driving it did you realize the severity of the issue. If you would have posted that pic the first day you would have had it yanked out by now.

just saying.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #18 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Up until today you said you needed an outer stub shaft. Only today you posted a pic then after everyone telling you that you really shouldn't be driving it did you realize the severity of the issue. If you would have posted that pic the first day you would have had it yanked out by now.

just saying.
Fair enough :-).....i was told by the guy who helps me fix it, that I needed the outer shaft and I didn't know you could drive it without it but I never saw the carnage until this weekend. And until you guys said I didn't need it I had never heard of a vehicle that didn't need it to hold the wheel on

post #19 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM

See now you learned something new today.

Quote:
Quote:
post #20 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

As far as the wheel bearing is concerned. The 2wd and the 4x4 bearing call for the same part number in the parts catalog. It's my understanding that there is no sort of dummy stub on the 2wds, and that the "stub holding the bearing together" is a rumor.

Friend of mine ran about 70,000 miles on a 4x4 silverado without the front axles, that "held the bearing together"

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #21 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

Terri you really need to quit tearing your rig up on the street. that is what the trails are for.

07 2dr 35s 3.5 spring lift,rear 4.5 front 488s winch, TnTfront stinger bumper,flow master exhaust.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok so if i had the tools, the knowledge and the space i could pull the axle and drive it without further damage....but i live in a apartment, dont have jack stands tall enough, and would be doing it in my covered parking space by myself figure it as i go.....how much longer could i drive it the way it is before i ruin the dif with a wobbly axle?

post #23 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 04:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
ok so if i had the tools, the knowledge and the space i could pull the axle and drive it without further damage....but i live in a apartment, dont have jack stands tall enough, and would be doing it in my covered parking space by myself figure it as i go.....how much longer could i drive it the way it is before i ruin the dif with a wobbly axle?
Man, people do it in the middle of a rocky trail with the Jeep far from stable, so you won't get very much sympathy as far as doing it in a parking lot goes.

There is no magic algorithm for how long it will last or what exactly it will tear up. But if you drive it and it does fail further, surely let us know.

post #24 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Been a while since I did this so here goes and I am not liable for your mistakes.

Remove wheel
Remove axle nut (may have to remove center cap from wheel and put wheel back on for levearage)
remove wheel speed sensor
remove caliper
remove axle shaft
stuff rag in hole
install in reverse order

I think you need a 35 or 36 mm socket for the axleshaft though. Good investment for trail repair. I think 13mm for unit bearing bolts. 15 minute job max.

Quote:
Quote:
post #25 of 31 Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

To add to the above.

If you are woried about the jeep on the jack, shove the removed wheel and tire under the pumpkin and set the axle back down on it.

I've done the whole process on the trail in about 20 min.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode