Mid-March camping in Springerville-to-Salt River region - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Mid-March camping in Springerville-to-Salt River region

my wife and I are planning a camping trip to visit her folks in Wickenburg, 2nd week of March. Any recommendations for good camping spots and jeep trails?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
09 Unlimited Rubicon. Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper Up Front, with Smittybilt XRC10. Other minor mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishl View Post
my wife and I are planning a camping trip to visit her folks in Wickenburg, 2nd week of March. Any recommendations for good camping spots and jeep trails?

Thanks,
Chris

That's a huge area your asking about. How long you spending in the different areas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We are spending a couple of nights on the way to W and a couple of nights on the way back. Just looking for some interesting suggestions. we have been through there several times, but usually it's a day to get to W and a day to get back.

Chris
09 Unlimited Rubicon. Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper Up Front, with Smittybilt XRC10. Other minor mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just ordered:
Arizona Ghost Towns and Mining Camps/a Travel Guide to History
and
Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 2nd Edition

Hope those will give us some good ideas.

Chris

Chris
post #5 of 6 Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We camped at Datil Well Campground in Datil NM (23F), one of the campgrounds on Roosevelt Lake (43F), and Clearcreek near Camp Verde (51F).

Drove the Young-Globe Highway. The bit from 260 to Young was okay, a bit too much like a highway, just with washboard. But Young to Roosevelt Lake was great.

Drove Apache Trail (beautiful scenery but too much traffic and too much washboard). Tortilla Flat was so crowded, I was half expecting to see a sign with Elevation and Occupancy. We just kept on rolling.

Drove the Box Canyon on Hassayampa River near Wickenburg. Great fun!

Drove Buckhorn Road from near Wickenburg to near Lake Pleasant, including a bit of Wickenburg Mountains Trail (steep and rough! didn't have time to do then entire 21 miles at 1-2 MPH!).

Chris
post #6 of 6 Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Rock God

It all depends. I do like the Young Rd area. There are some nice campgrounds around Forest Lakes and Black Canyon Lake. If you want developed camping, I would look at Fool Hollow Lake right next to Show Low. If you want to come down through Winslow, there are plenty of campgrounds just before you drop off the Rim to go into Strawberry, and there is always Fossil Springs, just outside of Strawberry. You could even take the Fossil Springs road to Camp Verde, and then short cut through Prescott to get to Wickenburg, and totally avoid Phoenix. Especially in the Show Low to Payson area along Highway 260, there are probably 50 established campgrounds that can be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode