Long Arm? Which one? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Long Arm? Which one?

Ok,

I am tired fo fighting my 2013 2 door with caster, wandering etc...

What I have:

RE front and rear CA's Short Arm

Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple rate coils

Bilstein 5100's

I am looking to basically change the short arms to a long arm upgrade. I guess I am limited to whatever Desert Rat or 4 Wheel can install since I cant weld also.

I am leaning towards TeraFlex or a Rock Krawler X Factor. I will say the RK springs made a big difference but I am sure a long arm will make them even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Why those two lift upgrades over synergy, genright, or clayton?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Not to sway your mind, but what else is done under there? Maybe it's as simple as a few adjustments.

TeraFlex and RK both make really nice long arm kits. I have the X-Factor long arm in my two door with the 3" rear stretch and it works great. If you have any questions about the kit I'll be happy to answer them. I just bumped my build thread (Ole Tink Tink).

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Not to sway your mind, but what else is done under there? Maybe it's as simple as a few adjustments.

TeraFlex and RK both make really nice long arm kits. I have the X-Factor long arm in my two door with the 3" rear stretch and it works great. If you have any questions about the kit I'll be happy to answer them. I just bumped my build thread (Ole Tink Tink).

Marcus
Marcus I also have Teraflex HD Flip Kit, TF Monster Track Bar, and just recently installed the Currier Anti Rock(front).

I have had the front upper arms adjusted several times, caster settings have been 2.6, 3.7 and 5*
post #5 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Why those two lift upgrades over synergy, genright, or clayton?
Synergy - Price

Genright - did not see an upgrade kit - dont need coils and shocks

Clayton - I know Jim uses Clayton - its an option I guess.
post #6 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstoner View Post
Marcus I also have Teraflex HD Flip Kit, TF Monster Track Bar, and just recently installed the Currier Anti Rock(front).

I have had the front upper arms adjusted several times, caster settings have been 2.6, 3.7 and 5*
Do you have uppers and lowers or just the uppers in the front?

post #7 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Do you have uppers and lowers or just the uppers in the front?
I got all 8 arms with the Rubicon Express Lift. The front lowers are fixed however.

I am thinking if I had a 4 door these arms would be fine with the extra wheel base, just seems the 2 doors suffer ride quality more as you lift them.

My actual lift height is closer to 4.5" with the Rock Krawler coils also.
post #8 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Mechanic

what track bar setup? why not just upgrade your control arms and wheel it that way? not trying to talk you out of the long arm (i have RK's 3 link front/rear) but I'm sure Murray and I could do the short arms and get the specs right for a fee towards toys for tots.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #9 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstoner View Post
I got all 8 arms with the Rubicon Express Lift. The front lowers are fixed however.

I am thinking if I had a 4 door these arms would be fine with the extra wheel base, just seems the 2 doors suffer ride quality more as you lift them.

My actual lift height is closer to 4.5" with the Rock Krawler coils also.
I agree, they do sit tall and the 3.5s are really tall for not being able to adjust the lowers up front along with the upper to get things right.

Murray and ^ could definitely look at it and help you dial it in. Long arms are sweet, just a big undertaking as I'm sure you already know. I love my long armed two door and would definitely do it if that's the direction you're set on.

post #10 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post
what track bar setup? why not just upgrade your control arms and wheel it that way? not trying to talk you out of the long arm (i have RK's 3 link front/rear) but I'm sure Murray and I could do the short arms and get the specs right for a fee towards toys for tots.
TeraFlex TB up front....stock in the rear

I am not sure replacing the short arms with another brand of short arms will do the trick as they will still have steep angels vs parallel with long arms.
post #11 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I agree, they do sit tall and the 3.5s are really tall for not being able to adjust the lowers up front along with the upper to get things right.

Murray and ^ could definitely look at it and help you dial it in. Long arms are sweet, just a big undertaking as I'm sure you already know. I love my long armed two door and would definitely do it if that's the direction you're set on.
From what I have been told(and it could be wrong) even if I had adjustable lowers there would be be any further adjustment(longer) than what the RE fixed lowers are since they are about 1 inch longer than stock.

I am strongly leaning towards the Long Arm and I can afford it at the moment.

The TeraFlex Long Arm Upgrade plus install was quoted at $3000 installed.
post #12 of 35 Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Genright as will most companies will sell you whatever you need to set up your suspension.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #13 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Wheeler

I've had the tereflex since 08 and I've just now has to redo some joints. It also flexes great with 12in coilovers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 4 door, long arm, pro rock44, currie 60, atlas, RCVs, coil overs, poison spyder all over. And much more....
post #14 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
JKowners Vendor

May want to look at RK's 3 link Pro front and rear arms..

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #15 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Just putting currie bushings in my 2 doors front axle cured a lot of handling issues. Long arms won't do nothing for caster angle.
Do you have the previous gen RK coils ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #16 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Just putting currie bushings in my 2 doors front axle cured a lot of handling issues. Long arms won't do nothing for caster angle.
Do you have the previous gen RK coils ?

No, I just got them about a month ago.
post #17 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice ^ the ride of the new coils is amazing. I run the 2.5's but with 3.5" of actual height on a 2 door.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #18 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Nice ^ the ride of the new coils is amazing. I run the 2.5's but with 3.5" of actual height on a 2 door.

I have the 3.5" coils so I am sitting at 4.5" of lift. At that height with a 2 door I am probably not going to get the ride I am looking for out of a short arm.

Today I went ahead and orderd the TeraFlex LA Upgrade kit.

http://www.teraflex.biz/elite-lcg-jk...-brackets.html

I liked the the RK X factor kit also, and would have gone that route but by RK owns admission they are way behind on orders - it took me almost a month to get my coils. When I want to make a purchase I want instant gratification and I am not very patient - although I try to be!

Price was a factor also.... Tera and RK were within my budget with good reviews.

Thanks for everyone's input.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Wheeler

You made a good decision

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 4 door, long arm, pro rock44, currie 60, atlas, RCVs, coil overs, poison spyder all over. And much more....
post #20 of 35 Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You could bring it up here and have LetzRoll or 4 Wheelers Supply do the install. Probably get better quality with fewer issues from those two over DR or 4WP. Just my take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #21 of 35 Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
You could bring it up here and have LetzRoll or 4 Wheelers Supply do the install. Probably get better quality with fewer issues from those two over DR or 4WP. Just my take.
I prefer a local shop only because its close if there's issues. DR on Palo Verde has a new installer - guy seems pretty sharp and he's a jeep guy which helps.
post #22 of 35 Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Haha.......Glad most every rig Jon and I touch work when we are done. Every rig does seem to have it's own personality and needs a little tlc after doing major work to it. I don't care what anyone says, sometimes it takes a little while to get things dialed in just right. Almost seems better to sneak up on the adjustments like I do when I align my heap. I make smaller adjustments a little at a time until I find the combination of tweaks that result in the best ride. It's really difficult to do that to most guys shit though cause they all want instant gratification....lol!! I totally understand! This isn't to say that I don't want instant gratification either, I'm just a little more patient given the understanding of how much work it can be to find the right numbers and to get it to ride the way I want it to.

As far as lifts go I can say that I've had much more luck with off the shelf RK stuff than I have any other shelf, bolt on lift. I've been really happy with my rigs wheeling capabilities but it started out as a Mopar lift (prolly a superlift or remarked RE kit), then Currie and now sort of a Frankenstein lift with a hodgepodge of parts but the end result is satisfying to me and my haphazard driving styles. As it drives at this moment, I'd run it down the highway at 80mph and not think twice about it's tracking, stability or road worthiness...however, with my gearing, tire pressure, etc., I'm not that fond of taking it to those limits. At 65-70 it's completely happy traveling down the road with just one finger on the wheel. Won't tell you where the other fingers are but you can probably guess.

Of all the jk/jku/jkur rigs in town that have around 4" lifts and have gone out and wheeled their shit along with me, Jim's seems to have held up the best. He runs a Clayton lift with OME shocks and I have yet so see him have any lift related issues. That's pretty impressive. He has JJ's and it seems to flex just as much if not even more than mine does. James of course wheels the shit outta his but I put him in a different category and he has had his RE joints replaced several times. I also wouldn't wanna be the one driving it down the hwy at 80 either but he's so comfortable in it it's like his right hand...lol.

Jon of course has a bitchin RK lift and it is simply the smoothest riding jeep I've ever been in. Rides like a fucking caddy. It doesn't get out to some of the more extreme trails we do but it's built to do them. Maybe someday?!

Popeysides has an awesome LJ that he's set up himself with many custom mods that let's it go anywhere in total comfort. It's another rig that you can go out and haul ass in down the trails and rides like a caddy too.

I think each one has it's own little idiosyncrasies and little flaws here and there but once you get to a certain point given the characteristics of the stock or standard steering geometry, your gonna have to make compromises on the highway if your plan to use it both on and off road. This is of course my own opinion and probably all wrong but it works for me and my shit so there!! Just know that if you want a perfect off road rig you should get a buggy. If you want a perfect on road rig, buy a fucking car. If you want both, quit bitching and start enjoying the ride you have and spend the time to get to know it a little bit and understand that it simply won't be a perfect world doing both.

I don't know what to say about local shops....as most of you know I'm pretty neutral and even have them do me favors here and there when they can but over the past few years I have not been having such good experiences and recently I've had a few situations that are leaving me ready to wash my hands of them and most likely won't be referring anyone out to them again

One last note to think about. This hobby is a choice we have made to be involved in. Most of the problems or issues we end up having are very much 1st world problems that we should be grateful to have. I often forget this too when caught up in my own shit but lately I've been trying to appreciate the fact that I have such wonderful problems in my life!! Kick back and enjoy the things you do have and get the fuck out and wheel your shit if that's what you bought it for. If not, at least get the fuck over to the mall and run over a few curbs

Oh and Alex, "fuck you"!!

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #23 of 35 Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Haha.......
Oh and Alex, "fuck you"!!
What a fuckin long winded post Murray! I was worried about you till the last sentence then I got back my faith in you!

post #24 of 35 Old 08-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Wheeler

Well said Murray,I have been wheeling for 35 years and trust me there is not a bolt on kit that works perfect or even a custom set up that doesn't need a lot of time to dial in. There is not a shop that will spend the time to set up bump stops correctly, set up shock length correctly or sway bars just to name a few.
It all depends what you are after. It does take a shit load of time to dial in a rig correctly, and in my opinion this also helps components last longer!!!
post #25 of 35 Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

Try Metal Cloak suspension. Not long arm but flex better than most and are awesome. Transformed my LJ, practically anything is better than the RE control arms you have.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode