Any XJ experts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Any XJ experts?

I am asking for some expert XJ advice. By expert I mean DIY home mechanics.

1996 XJ Classic, 8.25 rear, NP231

I bought my XJ used, guy said he had a 4.5" lift on it. Which was a franken lift and crappy worn components, rear blocks, ProComp ES3000 shocks, front springs and pucks. I am running 33" tires. I swapped the components out with new Rubicon Express hardware. New 4.5" RE leafpacks, new RE trackbar and new RE 4.5" front coils. Jeep already had/has Rusty's front adjustable control arms, lowers and uppers. After installing the new items, the Jeep sits higher, probably an inch. Which leads me to believe it didn't have 4.5", probably a 3.5". Now I am getting very minor driveshaft vibes. Before, I had none. They are minor but I know they are there. What do you suggest? T-case drop and/or leaf shims? I know a SYE and CV driveshaft is permanent fix but I don't have the ~$400 right now. I am thinking cause the vibes are so minor, and if it was 4.5" before with no vibes maybe some shims or a tcase drop is enough. The new hardware is brand new, so it may settle back down to the height it was when I bought it but currently there are NO shims for my 4.5" on their now, didn't have any. I know some kits come with them.

If shims what degree? 2 or 4? T-case drop would be least expensive and easiest but I don't like the idea of losing an inch of belly clearance.

Anyway, any advice is welcomed.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Sorry bud, no advice on your dilemma here.

But have you tried asking your question on NAXJA or Pirate4x4? I used to frequent those sites when my wife had her XJ. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on there.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Wheeler

i would say first have your shaft checked and if it is true then t-case drop and keep an eye on settling an when it has dropped back down .75 take it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Wheeler

A 4.5in lift requires a 1in T-case Cross member drop if you dont do the SYE. Youll need to massage your t-case shifter after the drop.

At 4.5 you also need a longer lower control arm to keep proper caster angle.
Lift......lowers.........uppers
4.5..... 16 1/2.........15
5.........16 5/8.........15 1/4
6.........17...............15 1/2

You also will need a panhard drop bracket for the axle end or the panhard bar will hit the coil bucket bracket.

Add a SYE, 1tons, 40s and a cage and youll be ready to start wheeling it.

KOH 2014 finished 18th

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode