Maricopa county emissions rules - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Maricopa county emissions rules

Can anyone tell me if CAI is smog legal in the phoenix area? Also, is any particular flashpaq tune better than others (Econ, 87, 91)? Thanks, in advance, for any input.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
Can anyone tell me if CAI is smog legal in the phoenix area? Also, is any particular flashpaq tune better than others (Econ, 87, 91)? Thanks, in advance, for any input.
If the vehicle is 5 years old or newer, they won't even pop the hood, they just hit the OBDII port and check for codes. Older than 5 years, they generally check the gas cap, OBDII and tailpipe. General visual inspections are based on results, I believe.

http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/smog-c...ing-Procedures

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei...ad/vei_faq.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 04-25-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the quick response and the links!! Unfortunately none of their websites indicate what isn't allowed as far as engine mods. Anyone have experience with a late model vehicle going through with a CAI installed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
Thanks for the quick response and the links!! Unfortunately none of their websites indicate what isn't allowed as far as engine mods. Anyone have experience with a late model vehicle going through with a CAI installed?
As far as I know, that doesn't matter if it passes tailpipe emissions testing. Which is why I posted those links. They are realllllly focused on the OBD, Gas Cap, and Tail Pipe output. I took my 2008 Ford Econoline through three months ago and all they did was connect the sniffer, check the cap, and plug in. They never looked under the hood. I could have had a nuclear reactor under there and it wouldn't have mattered. I passed the output/dyno test connected to the OBDII port. Now if you fail, I am pretty sure they'll have a look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Gotcha! Thanks again. Think I'll go as is and just tune to back stock for the test.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 PM

I took my 08 thru a couple of months ago, and as long as there are no codes or CEL and the drive cycle has been completed so everything is reset (I learned this the hard way), you shouldn't have any issues...All they checked was the OBD and gas cap. Mine passed with brand new hi flow cats, headers and exhaust just installed, as well as new injectors. I was just waiting in install the RIPP until I was done with the inspections.

08 2dr; here a mod, there a mod, everywhere a mod mod
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Rock God

Ive gotten banged twice due to gas cap failure on our 2 JK's.

Instead of having to find/drive to an Auto Parts Store, then go back and wait in line to be tested again. I have an extra new cap and just switch it out before I take it in to be tested in the first place.

When you pass, just switch it out again and put it back in the toolbox for next time.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Wheeler

I just went to the one in Gilbert with my 05 last month, no hood pop nor did they check the gas cap. He only asked to see where the filler was hiding as I'm comp cut and couldnt see it right away.

14 JKUR
05 Stretched and Coliovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode