Caster and High Steer Kit.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Caster and High Steer Kit..

So after installing my high steer/flip kit the jeep is flighty and on the freeway wants to take its own path on dips and bumps in the road.

The caster right now is +2.6/+2.8.

I have the RE Control arms but the lowers are still fixed. The uppers are adjustable. I am under waranty fo the alignment so I am thinking I need to maybe get in the +3 range.

I have the RE aftermarket DS so I am not sure how far I can go with the caster and not get any bad angles etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstoner View Post
So after installing my high steer/flip kit the jeep is flighty and on the freeway wants to take its own path on dips and bumps in the road.

The caster right now is +2.6/+2.8.

I have the RE Control arms but the lowers are still fixed. The uppers are adjustable. I am under waranty fo the alignment so I am thinking I need to maybe get in the +3 range.

I have the RE aftermarket DS so I am not sure how far I can go with the caster and not get any bad angles etc..
Well part of that is just the way the front end is now set up unfortunately. The other part is that I think you should get your caster to more like 5.6 to start and see how it handles then and work on the toe finding the sweet spot for that too. Remember, 4 is pretty much stock and you have a pretty tall lift so those numbers are gonna be way too low. With numbers like that I'm surprised your not doing somersaults and pirouettes down the freeway. Of course you may battle a little driveline vibration once you get the steering sorted out and then you may have to back off a bit and find a happy medium to even things out. Just my opinion of course.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Well part of that is just the way the front end is now set up unfortunately. The other part is that I think you should get your caster to more like 5.6 to start and see how it handles then and work on the toe finding the sweet spot for that too. Remember, 4 is pretty much stock and you have a pretty tall lift so those numbers are gonna be way too low. With numbers like that I'm surprised your not doing somersaults and pirouettes down the freeway. Of course you may battle a little driveline vibration once you get the steering sorted out and then you may have to back off a bit and find a happy medium to even things out. Just my opinion of course.
Its not so bad it feels its all over the place to where I am fighting it constantly. I am going to start at 3.5 and see how that feels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Its not so bad it feels its all over the place to where I am fighting it constantly. I am going to start at 3.5 and see how that feels.
Got the caster to 3.2...what a difference.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Got the caster to 3.2...what a difference.
Huh. That's interesting. So just curious how you took the reading cause that number just defies my logic on caster. With a standard factory housing there's 6° of offset. In stock rubicon configuration when the factory sets the caster to 4°, the pinion is at 6°. When we lift our jeeps we need to add more caster usually to get the front end tracking properly along with getting the draglink and trackbar brackets back into alignment to prevent bumpsteer.. I don't know why I was under the impression that you had a bunch of lift. Could be I'm just confusing your rig with someone else's? (Alzheimer's and all you know). How much did they drop the trackbar on frameside?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Huh. That's interesting. So just curious how you took the reading cause that number just defies my logic on caster. With a standard factory housing there's 6° of offset. In stock rubicon configuration when the factory sets the caster to 4°, the pinion is at 6°. When we lift our jeeps we need to add more caster usually to get the front end tracking properly along with getting the draglink and trackbar brackets back into alignment to prevent bumpsteer.. I don't know why I was under the impression that you had a bunch of lift. Could be I'm just confusing your rig with someone else's? (Alzheimer's and all you know). How much did they drop the trackbar on frameside?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I am just going off the alignment report Murray. I dont how much the TeraFlex high steer drops the TB..maybe 3"?

I have 4.5" of lift. I have been told it looks higher but I think the the 35"s with the XRC fenders makes it look taller than it is.

Last edited by sstoner; 02-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

no worries man. just curious

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode