LJ Track bar problem. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

LJ Track bar problem.

Hey guys, I am looking for more general informational help, I know a majority of you are JK guys, but any help is better than none. I have reached out to Metal Cloak this evening as well to see what they say.

So I installed all of my front control arms and my rear lower control arms. I couldn't get my rear uppers on. The bolts provided are larger than the holes in the brackets. Not sure if I am supposed to have to drill or possibly the brackets are not factory. Again, hellen keller did some work to my rear axel. That isn't really the issue, thats easily solvable.

The big issue is my front track bar. I removed the track bar the jeep has on it already and there is absolutely no way my metal cloak track bar will fit. Its longer and I can not get the end into the axel bracket. I don't know what a stock track bar location is on a TJ looks like. I can't get a clear picture. I suspect it might have something to do with that Rocky Road Outfitters high steer kit on my jeep. They claim its all bolt on so there shouldn't have been a need to weld in any new bracketry.
Opinions, help?

But at least now the jeep doesn't squeak and rattle like it used to. If I can only get the last few parts on.

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Granite Guru

I'm not sure about the bolts supplied by Metalcloak, but some CA brackets on my LJ needed to be opened up for the bolts supplied for my Currie control arms. I believe it is a metric vs SAE issue.

On your track bar, the stock bracket location on the axle side is much lower on the axle. Your high steer kit raises the mounting location on the axle. That is what is causing your issue. The track bar supplied with your high steer kit is shorter due to the mounting location. The metal cloak is made to sit in the original location and is too long for the high steer kit you have.

2013 JKUR
post #3 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve578 View Post
I'm not sure about the bolts supplied by Metalcloak, but some CA brackets on my LJ needed to be opened up for the bolts supplied for my Currie control arms. I believe it is a metric vs SAE issue.

On your track bar, the stock bracket location on the axle side is much lower on the axle. Your high steer kit raises the mounting location on the axle. That is what is causing your issue. The track bar supplied with your high steer kit is shorter due to the mounting location. The metal cloak is made to sit in the original location and is too long for the high steer kit you have.
Yea, Matson (Metal Cloak) just answered. The rear upper control arm holes must be drilled out to accommodate the larger bolts.

He said the same thing about the Track Bar bracket. So much for the RRO kit being "bolt on." Looks like I need to do some cutting and welding on the front axel as well. For now I think I will just try to mod the existing track bar until I get my front and rear 1/4" bracket kits and Artec trusses. Then I will have to cut and grind both axels clean and install everything.

I wonder if just getting a naked D44 axel would be better/cheaper and then swap all my internals over. At this point to go to something like a Currie high steer would mean cutting and grinding the axel, new brackets, new knuckles, new brackets, and a new high steer set up.

Might just be best to get an axel shell I can weld on the new truss and brackets right from the get go...

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R

Last edited by extremachn1; 12-16-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OK, well I have a solution for now. All of the Metal Cloak control arms are installed and I got new Heim Joints for my current track bar from Ballistic Fab this morning. The Metal Cloak track bar is going back for a shop credit (my idea). Gotta love the guys at MC, they are awesome, customer service it top notch.

The jeep is quiet as can be. No squeaking or rattling like it used to. Finally no more of those shitty Rubicon Express joints. They are in BAD shape, but I am done with them..

The current plan is to fix the rear axel, re-bracket it, truss it. Then just wheel the front until I grenade it to the point that I have to get a new D44 or possibly find a TJ D44. Then new brackets, truss, high steer, etc.

At this point the money and time to take it down, shave it clean, re-bracket, new knuckles, truss, RCV axels, etc.

As much as I would love s D60 they are out of my reach for the moment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode