new tire time - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

new tire time

Its time for me to start looking into new tires for the jeep and was curious if you guys have any suggestions. would like to keep it cheaper and am looking in the 33-35 inch range on 17r rims. Also so if you have some take offs that fit that size I may also be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 02:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't do it...don't go with 17's. Go with 15's and a C-rated tire. You will be thankful you did. Since you actually wheel your rig it will be a much better tire in the long run. I could recommend the MTR's in a 15 but not a 17. Plenty of the guys around here have also been having good luck with Coopers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #3 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Granite Guru

tons of people wheel in 17's

What is your reasoning in going to 15's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Rock God

I'm with murray. Only do 17's if you're gonna run 37's. C rated tires are a much better ride on and off road. And more cost effective. I saved a couple hundred dollars buying 15" wheels and tires than if I had just gotten 17" tires.

Do 35x15x12.50 You will be glad you did.

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)
post #5 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Rock God

Not to mention they look a lot better. Makes the tires look a lot bigger.

It's kinda like trimming your pubes. Makes everything look bigger.

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)
post #6 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
tons of people wheel in 17's

What is your reasoning in going to 15's?
On a 15" wheel the 35" tire to sidewall ratio works very well when aired down and wheeling. If you throw a 17" wheel onto a 35" tire the sidewall is nonexistent and you just spent a shit ton of money for a fucked up performer. Of course if all your gonna do is mall crawl then that combo works wonders. In fact you could step it up to 18's or even 20's if your lookin to score some skank bitches while your there...lol

For wheeling in the rocks and off camber shit, the combo of a 15" wheel and a 35" tire is awesome. Not too much sidewall roll when off camber and tons of tire to wrap around and grip the rocks as your crawling through them. Even a 15" x 37" combo is great when crawling through the rocks but on off camber stuff you may start getting a little more sidewall roll and that can be a little bit of an issue sometimes. Just depends on how much you air down, etc..

Just the same there's a lot of 17 x 40 combo's out there too so it just goes to show that sidewall roll isn't necessarily something folks seem to worry about that much anymore. The rubber compound is what really makes a huge difference between a 17" and 15" tire. I really wish these bastards would get off their asses and start making special C-rated 17" tires for offroading. This D-rated bullshit is for the birds...jmho

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #7 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1340 View Post
Not to mention they look a lot better. Makes the tires look a lot bigger.

It's kinda like trimming your pubes. Makes everything look bigger.
Yeah mine looks fucking huge when I keep it shaved! Just ask Jim

post #8 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Granite Guru

I couldn't find a 37" tire on a 15" rim among the good/common tires. 35 is the max.

That said I run 33 & 15 now, 35 & 15 next.

15s are $100 per tire cheaper than 17s for the same size. It adds up.

post #9 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
I couldn't find a 37" tire on a 15" rim among the good/common tires. 35 is the max.

That said I run 33 & 15 now, 35 & 15 next.

15s are $100 per tire cheaper than 17s for the same size. It adds up.

Maxxis, Super Swamper...

post #10 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Wheeler

I thought 15' had clearance issues with break calipers on JK's

I agree, 15 and 35's is the way to go. I had that setup on my TJ.

Sent via -
National Security Administration.
Sub Sector 69.
Division - A.
post #11 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo18 View Post
I thought 15' had clearance issues with break calipers on JK's

I agree, 15 and 35's is the way to go. I had that setup on my TJ.
With the correct 15" wheel they work. Even without the correct wheel you can grind down the calipers to fit without much worry.

post #12 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
With the correct 15" wheel they work.

What is the correct 15? Is it the back spacing or something?
I'm just asking because I would like to go this route also

Sent via -
National Security Administration.
Sub Sector 69.
Division - A.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Rich, which wheels are you guys running again?

post #14 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 09:56 PM
JKowners Vendor

Yup I had 15 inch rims with 35s and it's a great combo !

post #15 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Granite Guru

I run 15" MB Wheels from Discount Tire on my Jeep and the Wifes Jeep without any caliper issues. The backspacing on mine is 3.75 and I think hers is 4. Same brand different design but both are 15" wheels with 35" KM2's. I air them down to 10 pounds and I haven't broken the bead yet. All in all I am pretty happy with the set up. Plus those tires are somewhere around $200 each with is about the cheapest, good wheeling tire you're gonna get. All 5 wheels and tires from Discount Tire out the door is about $2000. If you finance them then you get a year with no interest. Not a bad deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshovel
I have a Romulan cloaking device, but I am not willing to build more. I would use my flux capacitor, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Great Freaky, thanks for forwarding that info.

post #17 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Rock God

Unfortunately they discontinued the MB 72's in black. They have sever others though.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the alloy wheels that clear. The steelies have a ridge that hits the caliper. Some cragar 15's fit but its hit or miss. Try them before you mount any tires to them.

Sent from that damn free autoguide app... Hacked to not suck or have ads!

post #18 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the clarification Rich.

post #19 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

Plus the aluminum wheels are an average of 7 to 9 pounds lighter than steelies per wheel. We all know how gutless our Jeeps are. Any weight you can save helps.

Quote:
I have a Romulan cloaking device, but I am not willing to build more. I would use my flux capacitor, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
post #20 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1340 View Post
Unfortunately they discontinued the MB 72's in black. They have sever others though.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the alloy wheels that clear. The steelies have a ridge that hits the caliper. Some cragar 15's fit but its hit or miss. Try them before you mount any tires to them.

Sent from that damn free autoguide app... Hacked to not suck or have ads!
I just put the MB TKO wheel on Tina's Jeep and they clear everything just fine.

Quote:
post #21 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

I run steelies with a 1/8" spacer in front to avoid grinding. Don't know the size or brand, bought used.

post #22 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

Those 15" Maxxis tires are as expensive as everyone else's 17" tires, negating the whole issue. I never looked at swampers because they just don't work as well on the terrain here. Almost no one runs them.

post #23 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

well with all this said and me possibly changing to R15 who here runs bead locks and what brand are they? because If i buy new rims they will be either be steelies of beadlocks
post #24 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter3006 View Post
well with all this said and me possibly changing to R15 who here runs bead locks and what brand are they? because If i buy new rims they will be either be steelies of beadlocks
I had the American racing plain black steelies at 15 inch rim and it was nice cause they were cheap and didn't matter when the rocks ate them up. Plus I was saving up for some nice rims. I have now went to spider locks beadlocks and have no issues with them yet.

post #25 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 12:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
I had the American racing plain black steelies at 15 inch rim and it was nice cause they were cheap and didn't matter when the rocks ate them up. Plus I was saving up for some nice rims. I have now went to spider locks beadlocks and have no issues with them yet.

Okay spanky. I was gonna let you ramble on but just wanna put you firmly in your place. Your old steelies were 16's...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode