Tucson, AZ - Redington Pass ……Red Alert - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Tucson, AZ - Redington Pass ……Red Alert

Hey folks. Do you enjoy exploring in your offroad vehicle, testing your driving skills, getting out of the craziness of the city and getting back to nature? Well guess what my friends? There are organized groups that want to take your rights away from you. All over the country trails and recreation areas on public lands are being closed to our motor vehicles like ATV’s, motorcycles and of course 4x4’s. And it’s all “in the name of the environment” or so they claim. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to help the endangered spotted cuddlefish right? Anywhoo….right here in Tucson we have the “Friends of Redington Pass” .You can find their website at www.friendsofredingtonpass.org. Please read their mission statement and like all agenda-driven extremist groups….READ BETWEEN THE LINES. Folks, this group has aligned with the Forest Service and is in the process gaining public opinion to deny us our rights. This Saturday November 2nd from 8 till 5pm a Friends of Redington Pass “Meet and Greet” will take place . The media will assuredly be there along with several dozen hikers, bikers, bird-watchers and any other “sympathetic ears” they can recruit to do their political bidding. Personally I like to hike and watch birds too but personally I prefer to drive my Jeep to a remote unknown destination and share the experience with friend’s and/or family. If you are like so many offroaders I know, you always leave the place looking better than you found it.

I truly value my excursions to Redington Pass and all of southern AZ and will fight to maintain these rights for my friends, children and grandchildren. Off-roading is a way of life for me and probably you too which is probably why you are on this website. If it is taken away I may as well sell off my jeeps and motorcycles. My dad used to take me hunting in our CJ-5 decades ago and it’s in my blood. We have never disrespected or abused the land and always left it cleaner than we found it.

Friends, It is very important that you spread the word and make an appearance at this meet and greet so that the public will hear our side of the story as well. Many of these folks are ignorant to the way of life we lead and dismiss us as wild reckless beer guzzling gun shooting hooligans which is what these environmentalist groups would like everyone else to think. Of course this message will be echoed by the media if we don’t show up and defend our interests.

We are sportsmen, adventurers, history buffs, explorers and generally very responsible taxpayers. We do not endorse litter or stupid behavior. We stand for responsibly enjoying the trails on our public lands. However, we don't believe in exclusivity of only one or two groups enjoying the trails. We are for educating and enforcing current laws that already exist. We stand for organized clean ups, designated shooting areas and actively maintaining these areas.

This year the Forest Service right here in our own backyard has made plans to shut down a majority of our most treasured trails. Several of these plans have been executed but most are simply waiting upon funding for the new maps. At that point the trails are officially closed and any violators will be at the mercy of the authorities. People the fines and penalties are said to be very very harsh. Not only will this impact us outdoorsy vehicle folks directly, the effect will be felt by businesses that have anything to do with 4x4’s, atv’s or motorcycles. Dealers, offroad suppliers, tire shops, repair and fabrication shops, guns and ammo dealers, sporting goods, gas stations, convenience markets and the list goes on and on. Off-roading is good for the economy too!
Nationwide, the momentum is not in our favor. The strong arm of big government and special interest groups are gaining ground (literally) because we are not informed nor active and these special interest groups are very actively cozying up to our government departments such as the Forest Service. We have been asleep at the wheel.

Please show up between the hours of 8am and 5pm and bring your rig to show off if possible. Be respectful of their opinions and use the opportunity to educate the public on our lifestyle. Ask lots of question on how they intend to achieve their mission goals. Ask them for specifics. If they are honest, you wont like their answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Wheeler

Garage

This was posted by a friend of mine on Faceplace.

"The Friends of Redington Pass are having a meet and greet on Saturday, November 2 from 8 am - 5 pm at the new information kiosk, just half a mile east of the lower Tanque Verde Falls trailhead. There will be representatives from the Coronado National Forest and Arizona Game and Fish Department and OHV Ambassadors to talk with. Unfortunately, I made plans months ago that take me out of town or I would be there. Their website states that want to improve the pass for all recreational users, but I have heard that they want to close Chiva Falls (and other 4WD/mountain biking trails) in Redington Pass. If you can, please attend to voice your opinion and talk with the FRP people and FS reps. Pass the word to friends and other OHV enthusiasts. Really bummed that I can't go. Let me know if you attend and what happened." Has anyone heard of this latest attempt to close trails? That's this Saturday!

Here's Friends of Redington Pass Mission Statement

Friends of Redington Pass advocates for the responsible stewardship of the Redington Pass area and the preservation of its ecological, recreational and cultural resources.

FRP priorities are to:
•Assure conservation and restoration of sensitive riparian areas along the Tanque Verde Creek, its watershed and wildlife corridors throughout the pass
•Improve opportunities for non-motorized, quiet recreation activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, wildlife viewing, picnicking and camping
•Improve safe conditions along Redington Road and throughout the Pass for residents and visitors
Pass

Last edited by janus_jk; 10-29-2013 at 04:05 AM.
post #3 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus_jk View Post

"The Friends of Redington Pass are having a meet and greet on Saturday, November 2 from 8 am - 5 pm at the new information kiosk, just half a mile east of the lower Tanque Verde Falls trailhead. There will be representatives from the Coronado National Forest and Arizona Game and Fish Department and OHV Ambassadors to talk with. Unfortunately, I made plans months ago that take me out of town or I would be there. Their website states that want to improve the pass for all recreational users, but I have heard that they want to close Chiva Falls (and other 4WD/mountain biking trails) in Redington Pass. If you can, please attend to voice your opinion and talk with the FRP people and FS reps. Pass the word to friends and other OHV enthusiasts. Really bummed that I can't go. Let me know if you attend and what happened." Has anyone heard of this latest attempt to close trails? That's this Saturday!

Friends of Redington Pass advocates for the responsible stewardship of the Redington Pass area and the preservation of its ecological, recreational and cultural resources.

FRP priorities are to:
•Assure conservation and restoration of sensitive riparian areas along the Tanque Verde Creek, its watershed and wildlife corridors throughout the pass
•Improve opportunities for non-motorized, quiet recreation activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, wildlife viewing, picnicking and camping
•Improve safe conditions along Redington Road and throughout the Pass for residents and visitors
Pass
I have met them twice now. They will tell you that they want reddington pass open for all people to enjoy. BULLSHIT, they just want it open for the prius driving crowd. Just remember that one of the head guys with FORP lives at the bottom of the hill and owns that camel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

This is a tough crowd and one that has much more time to dedicate to this than most of us do. I really wish I could put more effort into this and frankly I had been hoping that Jeff Prince was more influential than he may actually be, however, his influence may only be the direct result of how much we support him. There's still time to get on board as OHV Ambassadors which is what we really need to do.

Ironically there is no official Adopt A Road plan that we can get recognized by the NFS (at least that's what I've been told anyway) but as far as I know the Tucson Roughriders have in fact done that already for some trails somehow. I guess we just need to start digging into this.

I know we still have time to respond to the proposed trail closures and from what I can see on the initial maps there really isn't a lot of things that most of us are going to miss. A few off shoots from main trails, no loops that I can see. Biggest change is in the Chimney area. They are basically wanting to enforce what's already been in place for a long time as well as a new bypass around it. The second biggest change is at the Tanque Verde wash leading up to Three Ponds. They want the wash closed and only want to allow a crossing to get to Chivo Falls and the west loop basically.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna go to the meet and greet. Already been there, done that and they purposely blocked out all of us who showed up in jeeps and other rigs. By blocked out I mean they didn't show photos of the jeeps all lined up on the road there to show our support. They didn't really mention to much about it either. When talking to the Forest Service, they made it perfectly clear that they want us to share with them all the trails we use and that they will determine what will be left open and what will be closed. Basically they said that they WILL do what is in OUR best interest without our desires being taken into consideration. They know best what will serve us...Even Fish and Game was a little pompous about things too.

In general they were arrogant and not very helpful in making us feel very comfortable about their support of our usage in the area. This is absolute bullshit too cause we are the primary source of trail clean ups out there. Any by that I mean the Jeep guys in particular. We were just out to Chivo Falls on Sunday and the trail is badly in need of another clean up. Several months back we cleaned up the west loop on a quick run we did. We have the Roger Run coming up early next year but we need to do something before that too.

This is where becoming OHV Ambassadors could be helpful to a degree but only if we are willing to participate and become a little more available to the area. Our primary target might need to be the flatbills on quads. Not to single out and point fingers but we all know who's going out and destroying things by throwing trash everywhere and not treading lightly and it's definitely not us nor is it the single track guys out enjoying their trails either. There is a general group of folks that just have no respect and they are ruining it for all of us. Well that and the haters in the special interest groups or "Stakeholders" as they like to call themselves.

I will make another attempt at talking to Jeff and see how much he is monitoring this area. It was a hotspot that he took special interest in and I have spent quite a bit of time with him going over things as well as some of the FJ guys and single track guys. There's lots of support out there but it needs to be organized in such a way that we are as strong in numbers as the Stakeholders are so that our voices are heard just as loudly. Some shit has to be done and we have to join together to do it. Lip service won't resolve anything nor will just one or two concerned wheeelers. We need a movement, we need consistency and we need presence to be effective...

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #5 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

FRP priorities are to:
cause god knows building our houses in the sensitive bottleneck of what was once a free range leading into the Redington Pass area hasn't done shit to create problems in the wildlife or watershed corridors
•Improve opportunities for non-motorized, quiet recreation activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, wildlife viewing, picnicking, camping and gay butt fucking sex
•Improve safe conditions along Redington Road and throughout the Pass for residents and visitors so that we can further encroach on the property our taxpaers have paid for us to enjoy but not you wheeler type people
Pass
There, FIFY

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #6 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Rock God

Not sure who triicko is, but welcome. Hell I didn't even recognize my workmate in the group of mountain bikers we talked to Sunday, but as Murray alluded to in his oh so elequent posts we were at the last/first FRP meet n greet in force. In fact on the FRP website most of the people in the pictures is our group including me. Showing the huge row of heeps may or may not help. Topic is much discussed around here.

The FS EIS process is cumbersome and tends to alienate those without the stomach and time for tons of procedural BS. They do take written comments the most seriously. Showing up is one thing, writing a specific detailed comment is the way to go if you want any hope of an impact. It is possible to influence individual route decisions just hard as hell. I think FRP is heavily influenced by homeowners the same way gates pass is. From what i saw these were not the people coming to the meet and greet, but the coalition builders. Gives me the willies just saying it......

Last edited by Catfish; 10-29-2013 at 08:04 AM.
post #7 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

Does anyone have any pictures or videos of us cleaning up the trails? We might be able to use these and talk to the local news to try to get things out there to show how much we really do? I know for a fact that we do a lot more than just live at the bottom of the pass. Do we just simply call news crews and ask for coverage or is there some other channel we need to go through? I know that they aren't closing down much this time but how long before we are having talks around a mod party say things like "remember that sweet trail we used to ride?". Things are going to get bad and we all can see the writing on the wall. Tina and I both feel that we need to be heard by more than just the people that show up at these little meet and greets. If Murray pops an inflatable sheep and Jim isn't there to hear it, did it really happen? I think you know where I'm going with this. We need others to see how much we do.

On a side note, I saw that there is a group that takes special needs people out wheeling for a day in the Rubicon. The reactions from those special needs people is amazing. It's something that they aren't able to do for themselves. I think it would be great if we could do something like that here. We all know that Arizona has some of the best wheeling in the country. I lived here for 10 years before I got a Jeep and was able to finally see the beauty out in the desert away from the city's chaos. If we were to be able to organize something like that it would show in a big way how much we care and how we want everyone to experience that beauty as well. Not just for the occasion hiker that owns a camel at the gateway to the pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshovel
I have a Romulan cloaking device, but I am not willing to build more. I would use my flux capacitor, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
post #8 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
Does anyone have any pictures or videos of us cleaning up the trails? We might be able to use these and talk to the local news to try to get things out there to show how much we really do? I know for a fact that we do a lot more than just live at the bottom of the pass. Do we just simply call news crews and ask for coverage or is there some other channel we need to go through? I know that they aren't closing down much this time but how long before we are having talks around a mod party say things like "remember that sweet trail we used to ride?". Things are going to get bad and we all can see the writing on the wall. Tina and I both feel that we need to be heard by more than just the people that show up at these little meet and greets. If Murray pops an inflatable sheep and Jim isn't there to hear it, did it really happen? I think you know where I'm going with this. We need others to see how much we do.

On a side note, I saw that there is a group that takes special needs people out wheeling for a day in the Rubicon. The reactions from those special needs people is amazing. It's something that they aren't able to do for themselves. I think it would be great if we could do something like that here. We all know that Arizona has some of the best wheeling in the country. I lived here for 10 years before I got a Jeep and was able to finally see the beauty out in the desert away from the city's chaos. If we were to be able to organize something like that it would show in a big way how much we care and how we want everyone to experience that beauty as well. Not just for the occasion hiker that owns a camel at the gateway to the pass.
Umm aren't you leaving?

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Umm aren't you leaving?
Yes I am. Someday I will be back and I want to be able to go on these trails again.

Quote:
I have a Romulan cloaking device, but I am not willing to build more. I would use my flux capacitor, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Excellent ideas!
post #11 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Did you notice the name of the group that takes out special needs folks? Is it here in Tucson? I'd like to get involved in this and share the experience.
post #12 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM

An introduction would be nice.

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Not just for the occasion hiker that owns a camel at the gateway to the pass.

In my humble opinion, anyone owning a camel must surely be a terrorist. Who the fuck else would own one along with trying to steal property from US taxpayers. Where the fuck is homeland security when you need them.

Also, aren't the camel jockeys sorta butt fuckers too. Honest question here folks. I had a guy from Kuwait who worked for me many, many moons ago and he used to always tell us about the going ons over there.

So this is a little rough but this is something we had to deal with up in Sedona in the 80's at slide rock in a round about way...

That said, something to ask is have they done a study on the water in the Tanque Verde wash for contamination with std's? What I'm getting at is that perhaps camel jockey boy on the corner spends much of his time out with his wife's best friends husband depositing loads in each others asses which may be why they are so gung ho on keeping people away from their favorite hang out spots. What I mean to infer regarding the contamination studies is that at some point these ass rapers must surely drop a load either directly in or by farting one out. So as this aids infested cum bubble floats down to the swimming holes, do you think all the unsuspecting mothers bringing their little kids there are suspect that the water their innocent little sweethearts are spitting at each other is perfectly safe? NOT!!! These are the very people that the FRP folks are claiming to protect...you know where I'm getting at and this is a pretty twisted way to see things but not too far from the truth if you really want to stir up some shit. LOL

Quote:
Umm aren't you leaving
You really want him gone don't you.

Quote:
An introduction would be nice.
Yeah I was thinking that very same thing. Who are you triiko? Did we miss your intro. Hopefully he's not the guy posting all the movie intro's...

post #14 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
In my humble opinion, anyone owning a camel must surely be a terrorist. Who the fuck else would own one along with trying to steal property from US taxpayers. Where the fuck is homeland security when you need them.

Also, aren't the camel jockeys sorta butt fuckers too. Honest question here folks. I had a guy from Kuwait who worked for me many, many moons ago and he used to always tell us about the going ons over there.

So this is a little rough but this is something we had to deal with up in Sedona in the 80's at slide rock in a round about way...

That said, something to ask is have they done a study on the water in the Tanque Verde wash for contamination with std's? What I'm getting at is that perhaps camel jockey boy on the corner spends much of his time out with his wife's best friends husband depositing loads in each others asses which may be why they are so gung ho on keeping people away from their favorite hang out spots. What I mean to infer regarding the contamination studies is that at some point these ass rapers must surely drop a load either directly in or by farting one out. So as this aids infested cum bubble floats down to the swimming holes, do you think all the unsuspecting mothers bringing their little kids there are suspect that the water their innocent little sweethearts are spitting at each other is perfectly safe? NOT!!! These are the very people that the FRP folks are claiming to protect...you know where I'm getting at and this is a pretty twisted way to see things but not too far from the truth if you really want to stir up some shit. LOL

You really want him gone don't you.

Yeah I was thinking that very same thing. Who are you triiko? Did we miss your intro. Hopefully he's not the guy posting all the movie intro's...
Interesting, I wonder how camel fucker would explain that one away.

I don't want him gone but in the time remaining if he starts making plans to do stuff and expect us to carry though with them well.

Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Rock God

Holy Hell Mr candy coated peanut, I'll never be able to swim there again. You sure can paint an image.

Speaking of camels, now I am a pretty tolerant guy, but wtf was that running up the pass sunday?

and yeh op is posting this on numerous forums, trolling sure, but hopefully with good intent. But the question remains....Do I know you? Wheel much?
post #16 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Holy Hell Mr candy coated peanut, I'll never be able to swim there again. You sure can paint an image.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah, I haven't gone back there after the first time I went when I moved down here. The chick I was dating at the time had some awesome fake tits and she loved to show them off up there but after we ran across two dudes pole smoking I couldn't bring myself to go back cause it was the same shit we had to deal with up in Sedona...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Speaking of camels, now I am a pretty tolerant guy, but wtf was that running up the pass sunday?
Yeah what the fuck was that about? Been trying to put a label on that one ever since. Was pretty fucking awesome. Had to be some ultra orthodox something or other. Def wasn't a renaissance thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
and yeh op is posting this on numerous forums, trolling sure, but hopefully with good intent. But the question remains....Do I know you? Wheel much?
If he don't pipe in here shortly we outa just ignore him. If he has good intentions he will respond.

post #17 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triiko View Post
Did you notice the name of the group that takes out special needs folks? Is it here in Tucson? I'd like to get involved in this and share the experience.
I have special needs...
post #18 of 38 Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have special needs...
Yeah, you probably already took care of your special needs while visiting some interweb site no doubt.

post #19 of 38 Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah that and get involved with the special needs people, base, maby like a boys and girls club, boy scouts anyone we can to show a positive influence. But if we are serious about wanting to get involved with all these organizations we need to have a "club" not be a bunch of dudes offering to take people wheeling. We need a "face" to show and we need to make a hell of a impression to everyone.
post #20 of 38 Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Yeah, you probably already took care of your special needs while visiting some interweb site no doubt.
So.
post #21 of 38 Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John02tj View Post
Yeah that and get involved with the special needs people, base, maby like a boys and girls club, boy scouts anyone we can to show a positive influence. But if we are serious about wanting to get involved with all these organizations we need to have a "club" not be a bunch of dudes offering to take people wheeling. We need a "face" to show and we need to make a hell of a impression to everyone.
I have a good bit of experience with running a "club" and it's not worth it. Lot's of BS, people start crying. We can run a chapter which would be easiest. We're already doing it. Just takes people getting together. We represent JKO. Done.
post #22 of 38 Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John02tj View Post
Trust me John, your face has made one hell of an impression on everybody you saw today!!! Happy Easter my friend

Not to worry, some of what you are saying has been in the works for awhile. May take longer to do some of the things I want to do but you know I'll always step up and get things rolling as I know you guys will always step up and follow through to make things happen. I appreciate that as do all those you help!

Last edited by M&M's; 10-31-2013 at 01:08 AM.
post #23 of 38 Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Granite Guru

https://www.jkowners.com/tv/8.php

This is where I saw the group taking special needs people through the Rubicon, in California, not in Tucson. I promise I wont start anything Jim, it was just an idea to help. Everyone knows I don't follow through on anything anyhow. Hell half the time I don't even show up to the runs people set up.

Quote:
post #24 of 38 Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:

This is where I saw the group taking special needs people through the Rubicon, in California, not in Tucson. I promise I wont start anything Jim, it was just an idea to help. Everyone knows I don't follow through on anything anyhow. Hell half the time I don't even show up to the runs people set up.
Well at least we can count on you to be consistentley scattered brain.

Quote:
Quote:
post #25 of 38 Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Haha, I love it. You broke the mold dude by not wearing an asshole costume today. I have to say the anal douche outfit suits you much better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode