Operation rug road recovery. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Operation rug road recovery.

Ok sometime this winter we are going to attempt to recover / cleanup the rug road accident that happened in April at the bottom of carpet hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Rock God

I'm in, very sad no matter what went on...

Last edited by Catfish; 10-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

What is the back story to this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Rock God

I wonder if we could get these guys involved and if the insurer could be made pay. On the other hand perhaps as mammoth wheeler rescue they will either know something that could help or may even offer to help.

http://www.mammothtowing.com/5299.html

apart from the risk, just being good samaritans trying to clean up the trail could get us crosswise with insurance and pd investigations and responsibility.....

In any case I am willing to help out with whatever route we determine is best.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Here is the PM I received on Tacomaworld this morning.

The guy who died in the rollover was a really good friend of one of my co-workers, and I don't recall his name off hand. Him and the guys in the group are from around the Willcox and Benson area and do a group run on Rug Road every spring. From what I was told, he was trying to pass a broken down vehicle and just went over the side. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was thrown out of the jeep and it rolled over top of him. If you would like, I can get more details on what happened, as well as his name. I think a memorial for him would be a great idea. I'll get some info and get back to you.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I wonder if we could get these guys involved and if the insurer could be made pay. On the other hand perhaps as mammoth wheeler rescue they will either know something that could help or may even offer to help.

apart from the risk, just being good samaritans trying to clean up the trail could get us crosswise with insurance and pd investigations and responsibility.....

don't over think it...

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #7 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I think 1st step will be to go out and clean up the trash and any fluids that are spilled and get a good assessment of what we are going to have to do to get it out of there, i.e. wheels, tires and such. Then the determination of can we get it out. Then would be the police, insurance and what ever state or federal agency owns that parcel of land.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovnrev View Post
Here is the PM I received on Tacomaworld this morning.

The guy who died in the rollover was a really good friend of one of my co-workers, and I don't recall his name off hand. Him and the guys in the group are from around the Willcox and Benson area and do a group run on Rug Road every spring. From what I was told, he was trying to pass a broken down vehicle and just went over the side. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was thrown out of the jeep and it rolled over top of him. If you would like, I can get more details on what happened, as well as his name. I think a memorial for him would be a great idea. I'll get some info and get back to you.
We could do a memorial. Probably just a very simple metal plate sign would be cool if you can get the guys name and birth/death date info.

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #9 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Maybe some of the tacoma guys can get in on this since they are "supposed" to know him.

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
We could do a memorial. Probably just a very simple metal plate sign would be cool if you can get the guys name and birth/death date info.
I think Ballistic Fabrication would be more than willing to donate that
post #11 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovnrev View Post
I think Ballistic Fabrication would be more than willing to donate that
That would be cool if they would do that. Let me know.

post #12 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I think 1st step will be to go out and clean up the trash and any fluids that are spilled and get a good assessment of what we are going to have to do to get it out of there, i.e. wheels, tires and such. Then the determination of can we get it out. Then would be the police, insurance and what ever state or federal agency owns that parcel of land.
Again, don't over think this guys and don't over involve outside parties. There's a reason why many vehicles are left where they are. Recovery costs being what they are, most insurance companies or local agencies aren't going to bother wasting their resources. Case in point; the Ford Explorer abandoned on the Chimney Trail. Fully accessible road and a very doable recovery by the County. They never bothered even after I offered to drive them in to show them where the vehicle was located.

Getting too much involvement can have negative repercussions regarding the safety of the trail and could result in either private owners revoking property access or other governmental agencies doing the same thing. Getting the area cleaned up, fluids abated and getting an idea of whether or not the rig can get removed is something we can do easily within our own community. If an outside agency wants to get involved and direct, stop or facilitate then so be it but I would suggest just keeping things very quiet and very simple.

In the event the rig can be removed from the ravine and brought up to the roadside then from there it can be determined if it is feasible to get it from that location to a more accessible road area where it can be removed by anyone. If it were abandoned for a certain length of time someone could file for an abandoned title if they wanted to...

Just my opinion here so you guys tell me what you think and we can figure it out from there. Personally I wasn't intending on posting anything up on the forums here but rather just handling it between ourselves until it was taken care of.

post #13 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Richard John Hamilton (Spud)
Feb. 22, 1962
March 29, 2013
post #14 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Granite Guru

I read another article that he was alone on his way to meet up with friends. When he didn't show at the meeting point they called for help.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Richard John Hamilton (Spud)
Feb. 22, 1962
March 29, 2013
RIP

Quote:
don't over think it...
Do I know you?

Quote:
go out and clean up the trash and any fluids that are spilled and get a good assessment of what we are going to have to do to get it out of there
Sounds like a good approach. I enjoy recon and would like to learn the alternate routes. I am not contacting anyone, just thinking. Noticed Mammoth Towing's off road recovery rig last time I went that way.

How far down slope is it? Probably need some kind of endangered species permit if we are going to drag it let alone landowner and family

Last edited by Catfish; 10-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
post #16 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
RIP

How far down slope is it? Probably need some kind of endangered species permit if we are going to drag it let alone landowner and family
Eff that noise. Forgiveness is easier than permission.
post #17 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Again, don't over think this guys and don't over involve outside parties. There's a reason why many vehicles are left where they are. Recovery costs being what they are, most insurance companies or local agencies aren't going to bother wasting their resources. Case in point; the Ford Explorer abandoned on the Chimney Trail. Fully accessible road and a very doable recovery by the County. They never bothered even after I offered to drive them in to show them where the vehicle was located.

Getting too much involvement can have negative repercussions regarding the safety of the trail and could result in either private owners revoking property access or other governmental agencies doing the same thing. Getting the area cleaned up, fluids abated and getting an idea of whether or not the rig can get removed is something we can do easily within our own community. If an outside agency wants to get involved and direct, stop or facilitate then so be it but I would suggest just keeping things very quiet and very simple.

In the event the rig can be removed from the ravine and brought up to the roadside then from there it can be determined if it is feasible to get it from that location to a more accessible road area where it can be removed by anyone. If it were abandoned for a certain length of time someone could file for an abandoned title if they wanted to...

Just my opinion here so you guys tell me what you think and we can figure it out from there. Personally I wasn't intending on posting anything up on the forums here but rather just handling it between ourselves until it was taken care of.
Roger, roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedevilswife View Post
I read another article that he was alone on his way to meet up with friends. When he didn't show at the meeting point they called for help.
I heard that he was in front of someone when they looked away and looked back up he was gone over the side. Guess it doesn't matter much now though.

Quote:
Quote:
post #18 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Rock God

roger and out, available via text.....
post #19 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Mechanic

dont know if this can be considered being the voice of reason here - but this is how i see things:

im all for a cleanup - trash, debris, fluids/contaminants, etc. a way to at least clean up the trail and hillside a little. truth be told it probably does need it - hell a lot of the trails that don't have overturned vehicles on them need it. i cant remember how many beer cans we picked up on one of my last trail rides out at chiva.

however, i am strongly against any kind of vehicle recovery. for many reasons. the biggest being we would all be putting ourselves and our vehicles at risk. there are just so many variables that you have to consider, and so many things that can go wrong when attempting something like this. also, this isn't our job, or even a hobby/specialty of anyone in our group afaik; and we don't have the proper equipment. sure we can winch someone out of a stuck spot, or tow someone through an obstacle, but recovering a jeep thats in a ravine that probably won't roll, even if you put a new tire on it. the axles are probably toast, and its been sitting there long enough to develop more issues.

shit - it was a big deal to make sure we got Greg's jeep back over carpet hill and he just damaged an axle. trying to recover this jeep has all the makings of it turning into one major fiasco with multiple jeeps damaged and people injured, perhaps seriously.

sorry if i offended anyone - but thats just how i see it.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #20 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post
dont know if this can be considered being the voice of reason here - but this is how i see things:

im all for a cleanup - trash, debris, fluids/contaminants, etc. a way to at least clean up the trail and hillside a little. truth be told it probably does need it - hell a lot of the trails that don't have overturned vehicles on them need it. i cant remember how many beer cans we picked up on one of my last trail rides out at chiva.

however, i am strongly against any kind of vehicle recovery. for many reasons. the biggest being we would all be putting ourselves and our vehicles at risk. there are just so many variables that you have to consider, and so many things that can go wrong when attempting something like this. also, this isn't our job, or even a hobby/specialty of anyone in our group afaik; and we don't have the proper equipment. sure we can winch someone out of a stuck spot, or tow someone through an obstacle, but recovering a jeep thats in a ravine that probably won't roll, even if you put a new tire on it. the axles are probably toast, and its been sitting there long enough to develop more issues.

shit - it was a big deal to make sure we got Greg's jeep back over carpet hill and he just damaged an axle. trying to recover this jeep has all the makings of it turning into one major fiasco with multiple jeeps damaged and people injured, perhaps seriously.

Jon you have a good point there.
and besides, eventually the scavengers will pick through it and in a few years nothing will be left...
Someone will love the D-60's that it was sitting on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Wheeler

I have 3 snatch blocks, 2 full sets of J hooks, and lots of lengths of chain and some lengths of straps, as well as approximately 15 rollover recoveries under my belt so maybe I can be of some assistance.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM
JKowners Vendor

I think you deff need some type of vehicle similar to that big green German thing that was on the Roger run this past year can't remember what that was called, that may stand a chance to get it out.

post #23 of 27 Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post

I don't have any feelings so you can't offend me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyd View Post
Jon you have a good point there.
and besides, eventually the scavengers will pick through it and in a few years nothing will be left...
Someone will love the D-60's that it was sitting on....
You better be joking or we are going out soon to rip those things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
I think you deff need some type of vehicle similar to that big green German thing that was on the Roger run this past year can't remember what that was called, that may stand a chance to get it out.

UNIMOG

Quote:
Quote:
post #24 of 27 Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Rock God

I got winched by that Unimog at Elvis a couple of years back. he has 12k lb winch front and back, thought he'd tear me in half. At the time I remember him saying it doesnt burn gas, he just puts cash straight in the tank. Probably cost him hundreds to drive that far.......
post #25 of 27 Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I don't have any feelings so you can't offend me.

You better be joking or we are going out soon to rip those things out.

UNIMOG
Ah yup, big joke. No 60's there I could see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode