Moab July 17-20 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Moab July 17-20

Hey all. I'm planning my first trip to Moab for mid July. Will be taking my DD (details in sig) and need some tips for trails. I'm not looking for extreme trails but more along the line of moderate for wheeling. I have this http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroad...6361811&sr=1-1 book coming but would also like any suggestions as to what trails to run. Thanks.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Wheeler

Moab July 17 - 20

I would recommend a few different trails to get a good feel for the area. Metal Masher or 7-mile rim (for the views into Arches). White Rim trail from Mineral Bottom to Shafer trail (7AM to 5:30 PM, awesome views). La Sal Loop and Onion Creek to Fisher Valley (the Spires are a must see). For the fun of the driving on the rock fins, Hells Revenge and Fin's and Things.

This list is from the 25 years of wheeling in Moab as a Red Rock 4-Wheeler, and guide. There are no bad trails around Moab, just some with your vehicle I would stay away from with your D.D..

If you have any additional detail questions drop me a personal message.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

760-415-7071
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the suggestions Frenchie. So far have decided on 7 mile and fins n things. I really don't feel like bashing this thing too hard.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2009, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

<----- Jealous!!!

Have fun and take a bunch of pix to share.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 PM
JKowners Vendor

If those are your two chosen trails, I would recommend Fins N Things first, which is much easier to navigate and much closer to civilization. Then do Sevenmile Rim--although this trail is one of my favorite (great variety, scenery, and fun wheeling), it is longer and requires much more attention to navigation.

Even though Chuck just updated that book last year, there are already some noticeable changes in some of the trails, including Fins--so stay sharp.

It's going to be HOT--make sure you have a cooler and lots of water, gatorade, and a hat.

Happy trails!

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #6 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the tips.

As for the heat, at least I can now wheel with a vehicle with AC instead of my CJ. That was one of the reasons for getting it, especially here in the desert southwest. (El Paso, TX)

DD
11 JK Unlimited
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Moab

Hey Guys, I'm heading to Moad on Sunday morning from Sedona (WOW! its beatuful here) I'm running an '09 Rubicon Unlimited (stock). I'm on vacation from Miami, FL and drove "Connie" here and have to drive her back to Miami so I have to stay on the safe side (if you know what I mean). Can you suggest some trails for my rig?

I'd also like suggestions on directions from Sedona to the Moad area trails.

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

post #8 of 10 Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiJuan View Post
Hey Guys, I'm heading to Moad on Sunday morning from Sedona (WOW! its beatuful here) I'm running an '09 Rubicon Unlimited (stock). I'm on vacation from Miami, FL and drove "Connie" here and have to drive her back to Miami so I have to stay on the safe side (if you know what I mean). Can you suggest some trails for my rig?

I'd also like suggestions on directions from Sedona to the Moad area trails.
While in Sedona contact:
Farabees Jeep Rental
She will be able to point you in the right direction.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Wheeler

From Sedona I would take 89A to Flagstaff. Out of Flagstaff take 89 to 160 and 191 into Moab. You can also go through Monument Valley Hwy 163 to 191.

I would recommend the same trails as in this thread post #2. Pick up Chuck Wells guide book for directions.

The White Rim trail is easy and very scenic come in at Potato Bottom and follow the Green River. It is easy to do this in a day with plenty of stops along the way.

Hells Revenge is very close to Fins and Things and both are short trails and can be done in a short day. On Hells Revenge you can go around Tip Over Challenge.
On Fins and Things, I helped Jean Akens put this trail together (about a year from the first time we went out to put it together, to final approval) and so I have a personal attachment to it. Be sure and watch for "Curley the Dinosaur" at the parking area for Morning-glory Arch. This is named after Curley Bishop who found him when we were putting the trail together (some uninformed people who spot him call him "Dino".

7-Mile Rim is a easier trail and has fantastic views into Arches. You have views of some of the arches and Balanced Rock. Arches even has some dirt roads to some remote locations. I would recommend Arches NP even the paved roads as it is spectacular.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #10 of 10 Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
OabMoab trip

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Nena for the book and any suggestions. Looking forward to Moad. I did Broken Arrow this morning with no problems
so I'm looking forward to the next adventure.

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode