TUCSON CREW MOAB 2014 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 372 Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

TUCSON CREW MOAB 2014

Rich and I are talking right now about this and thinking September 2014 who is game besides us two and let the roll call begin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Granite Guru

Yea, why not? Why September?

2008 Steel Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon
RE 4.5" LA
37" KM2's on 17x8.5 MB72's
Poly Tie Rod, Poly Steering Relo, Poly Draglink
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
Crossed Up Offroad Custom Winch Bumper
sPOD system, Cobra 75
Mopar Transmission Cooler
post #3 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
Yea, why not? Why September?

Just what popped in our heads last night. No real reasoning behind. Guess we will see what works with the majority and go from there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Yeah September is it. I have been so busy since getting back from Rubicon that I have only breifly discussed the USA/Canada trip to Moab. This of course assumes you still want to hang with the Cans. I know they were a little brash and hard to deal with at times but then again apparently I am too when in a cancer causing atmosphere.

At this point we are looking at September 14th. This allows labor day festivities time to settle and also the weather to cool down a bit but not too much.

At this time I am thinking of trailering up. Not sure I can do another Jeep road trip unless the seating/comfort levels are brought way up. Gettin a little too old for it I guess.

So I'm in, Scott our other buddy is in and he has a couple friends from Colorado that will meet us too. The Cans of course and whoever else from here.

Our plan to date is to rent a big ass house (assuming we can do that affordably, if not then two again) then just do all day runs from there. Not planning on doing any camping at this time but will probably bring gear just in case.

How does that sound to you guys

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...

Last edited by M&M's; 08-03-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #5 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sounds perfect ol wise one. And yes Rich was stating last night it wouldn't be an epic trip without the Canadians. And maybe we can find a water hole with just enough water to throw your line in. Haha

post #6 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

That was awesome for sure. Ok, I'll get planning started.

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #7 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Wheeler

Would a very mild lift and 33's make it through Moab? I'm debating on scaling my lift/tire upgrades back a bit. Was going to do 35's and rock krawler 2.5 max travel, but thinking those plans are too ambitious right out of the gate. Kicking around the idea of going with Rubi take off springs/shocks with 33 Duratracs on 15.
post #8 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Wheeler

Ok fellas I just shot off an email to Emma (Ayton) about the thread and tentative dates. Let the good times roll.
post #9 of 372 Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshovel View Post
Would a very mild lift and 33's make it through Moab? I'm debating on scaling my lift/tire upgrades back a bit. Was going to do 35's and rock krawler 2.5 max travel, but thinking those plans are too ambitious right out of the gate. Kicking around the idea of going with Rubi take off springs/shocks with 33 Duratracs on 15.
The Rubi springs/shocks will give you a pretty kick ass lift for way cheap. Fact is you could prolly run 35 with a little trimming and that might do you for a long while. Duratracs, not for me but several guys have them. I'd say they are a little weak in the sidewall and based on the way your gonna wheel when your a little more capable I might suggest something a little tougher. I realize they have been getting good mileage out of the treads and all but if your gonna wheel hard when your out there I'd look at something else. If you go with 15's then you have a shit ton of options in a C rated tire which is what you really should go with.

As far as Moab is concerned, you'd probably fair pretty well with that sort of setup. I am going to say that at least one locker is required for you to go. When we go that far to wheel it really makes sense to be totally prepared and fully capable. Many of the guys on these trails won't spend any time with you if your not locked up. There's a rear locker on one of the threads right now for $350.00 which is a killer price. You can get a lunchbox type locker for cheap in the front and be very capable out there. You can dump the front locker when you get back if you need the cash or you can leave it in if it is working good enough for you on the street. Just a thought. I'd look for the thread with the locker on it though cause that's a fucking steal if it works.

post #10 of 372 Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

I'm game, as long as I'm not deployed.
post #11 of 372 Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Here we go again! I gotta really work on Lisa this time. I've been promising her a trip to New York and this will deffinatly cut into that budget! So I better get started now!

Tony
2012 Rubicon Unlimited, AEV, Rock Krawler, LOD, Poison Spyder

Last edited by Pima651; 08-13-2013 at 08:28 AM.
post #12 of 372 Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima651 View Post
Here we go again! I gotta really work on Lisa this time. I've been promising here a trip to New York and this will deffinatly cut into that budget! So I better get started now!
New York? I guess I'm confused... There's no wheeling in NY. Lisa must be confused also, ha!

RE 4.5" LA
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
sPOD system, Cobra 75
post #13 of 372 Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 AM
Granite Guru

I'm with Murray on this one... I know ken wanted to do this trip camping, but I enjoyed going out for day trips and coming back to the house at night. However, if there were a group that wanted to camp, I'm sure that would be an option as well.

I've only been once, but when we went, we rented two houses in a neighborhood near many of the trails. There's a neighborhood of cookie cutter homes that are largely rented for outdoor enthusiasts who visit the area. I imagine that we'd have to rent at least two, and maybe three of them, but if we plan it correctly then we could get two or three next door to each other. That worked out well for us. No driving or traveling at all between houses, just stumbling across the driveways and front yards. It also gives us garaged areas to work on breaks (read no more field welding or working on super grateful auburn jeep inductees' jeeps).

I know it's taboo, but some of the earlier videos from the Reich's Moab videos were filmed at these places as well if you're looking to see what this may be like. I know he's got a lot of "friends" on this forum, but he did do Moab right IMO.

One other thing to think about is potentially inviting/letting some of the local shops know we'll be around. We met Joe from TF and wheeled with him for a day. Moab is much more accessible than Rubicon and many of out favorite manufacturers are in the area, looking to wheel, and eager to meet some customers. It's also fun to wheel with some of these shop builds that we only get to see on the forum (ie rebels victim)

And lastly, this trip has the potential to be MASSIVE compared to the Rubicon trip. It lends itself well to the weekend warrior who may not be interested in a weeklong camping extravaganza (like rubi) as well as the tried and true travelers like the Canucks, eh.

Lastly, again, Moab has trails for all skill levels and determine what we want to wheel will be crucial. As ken and I have discussed, you really can't wheel all it has to offer unless you spend a solid 2 weeks. This means that we won't hit everything and must pick where we want to be on the difficulty/popularity scale.

RE 4.5" LA
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
sPOD system, Cobra 75
post #14 of 372 Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshovel View Post
Just get 35's. You will be sorry if you get 33's. you can do it inexpensively. It was actually cheaper for me to buy 15" wheels and tires than just the 17" tires. 35x15x12.50 km2s are just over 200 each. And If you buy wheels, that takes care of your backspacing issues too. I ran the RC budget boost for a couple of years with no problem. It's like $130 shipped. Then as I saved money I just bought springs. First in the front, then in the rear a few months later. A lot of the guys will tell you that the high dollar kits are the way to go and worth the money, and while they may be right, I survived the Rubicon on a very inexpensive rig.

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)
post #15 of 372 Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima651 View Post
Here we go again! I gotta really work on Lisa this time. I've been promising here a trip to New York and this will deffinatly cut into that budget! So I better get started now!
Take her to the one in Vegas next weekend. You never specified which one did you? You could probably do that in one tank of gas in her car.

MOST JK OWNERS HAVE A LOOSE, LEAKY, SMELLY, SAND FILLED MANGINA SO GO TO YOUR MANOCOLOGIST AND GET IT CLEANED OUT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU!!! (The hippie godfather)
post #16 of 372 Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
New York? I guess I'm confused... There's no wheeling in NY. Lisa must be confused also, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1340 View Post
Take her to the one in Vegas next weekend. You never specified which one did you? You could probably do that in one tank of gas in her car.
I know! I have a while to make it happen

Tony
post #17 of 372 Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1340 View Post
Just think not only will you take her to see "New York" but also "Paris", "Venice" and a pirate ship all in a weekend. Win Win if you ask me.

post #18 of 372 Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherM View Post
Ok fellas I just shot off an email to Emma (Ayton) about the thread and tentative dates. Let the good times roll.
Thanks for telling Emma to tell me about this thread :-)

Emma and I are in... and I'm working on a few other Canucks. Emma and my preference is to rent a house and do day trips out to the trails - the desert heat is a bit too much for our frosty Canadian arses.

Should be a good time EH?
post #19 of 372 Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Well that wasnt as hard as I thought! Looks like we're in!!!!

Tony
post #20 of 372 Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Granite Guru

I am definately in if there is space, if not I will camp in the front yard!!!

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #21 of 372 Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I am definately in if there is space, if not I will camp in the front yard!!!
Depends in the HOA usually no riff raff parked on the front lawn. Now the back is a different story

post #22 of 372 Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltidejk View Post
Depends in the HOA usually no riff raff parked on the front lawn. Now the back is a different story

FUCK HOA's.. I have a severe hatred for them... That being said, I will find a place!!! LoL

MY CARSSupercharged, armored, and lifted White 2010 TRD SPORT DCSB 6spd 4x4, Silver 2004 Rubicon Unlimited lifted locked on 35" Toyo's, Red 67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

MY TOYSRed 2002 Ducati 998s, Grey 2009 MV Agusta 312RR (WRECKED)Black 2005 999s (SOLD), 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s (SOLD), 2005 Yamaha WR450, 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R
post #23 of 372 Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

So in.

More Cowbell
post #24 of 372 Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Okay so far this is the list of takers;

USA CREW:
Rolltidejk - Paul & Darlene + dog
Rich1340 - Rich & Jamie
NGINIER - Alex & Hannah
M&M's - Murray & Leigh
Pima651 - Tony & Lisa
Mudpuddle - Steve
Adamsfamily - Adam (get me names of family)
11jeeperdrummer - Chris
Keltic52 - Kyle & Jennifer (maybe?)
popeyesides - Scott, Denise & Sam
Descent - Brian & Sarah (Phx)
RD Tonka Toy - Jon & Amy (Phx)
Krazytoy - Jason & son Wade.

CANADA CREW:
eight0n - Ayton & Emma
kanueh - Craig
Cnd. Skippy - Corey & Amanda
The Chadster - Chad & Stef
Matthew Kemp - Matthew (dunno him)
Andy - (Corey's co-pilot from Rubicon)

Hopefully all the Canadians are gonna make this trip too, after all, it's their fucking trip that we're crashing

I know there are probably one or two more of us from Tucson going so pipe in and let us know. We also realize that there are a couple from Phoenix looking at this trip too. Lot's of time to plan and organize but as we all know it's only the last week before the trip that counts...lol

I'm really looking forward to this one now. I have a couple things I'd like to do to the jeep before then. Would be nice to get the liner applied, either better standard brakes or a big brake kit, cage, front seats and get the rear shocks relocated. Maybe that's a lot now that I look at it. Hopefully a couple of those things can be addressed before Moab at least. Cage and brakes being at the top of the list.

Last edited by M&M's; 08-03-2014 at 09:44 AM.
post #25 of 372 Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Wheeler

We are trying to plan our vacation trips next year to allow us to attend this event to Moab!!

So please mark Jennifer and I (Kyle) as a very strong possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode