Install for gears and ARB... do myself or get done at a shop? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Install for gears and ARB... do myself or get done at a shop?

I am trying to decide whether to have my gears professionally installed or giving it a go myself.

If I get them professionally installed, how much should I expect to pay and where are some good places in Seattle? If its reasonable, I am very willing to pay. But, if not..

I am an okay home mechanic. I typically work on my own vehicles and have done a variety of things to a variety of vehicles... probably the most difficult/extensive doing a drive train swap in an old YJ. Definitely not an expert, though.

With that being said, I have heard that installing gears is a pain in the ass. Should I even attempt? I am ok at following directions. I figured I could pick up any special tools at harbor freight. Anybody have any experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

Call nortridge4x4. You would have to take a ferry over to the bremerton/silverdale area.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 AM

I work at an offroad shop in Wilmington, NC. I've always been a do it yourselfer and I can't remember ever paying someone else to work on my car. That being said, I would pay someone else to set up gears. If you do it wrong you could very easily destroy yours gears in a hurry. I don't know about where you are, but we charge $300 per axle for labor to set up gears. We don't add anything to the price if you want a Detroit or lunchbox locker installed at the same time. I'm not sure about ARBs as they are a little more labor intensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Granite Guru

Foot in mouth

Last edited by Grenadeacorp; 02-03-2012 at 10:33 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
GKR
Granite Guru

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Northridge, Kent 4x4 or Randy's in Everett. They've all done it a time or two and do good work.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had my Yukons done at Randy's. No questions asked full warranty if they break. Just hand them the keys. I like that.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do a little more research and weigh my options a little more.

Anybody have any experience installing their own? Pros/Cons?
post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

i did mine my self and have helped some other people do theirs. it is not a hard job. you just need to be patient, use the right tools, take your time, and pay attention to detail.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Rock God

I don't shy away from turning a wrench, but making a mistake would be vewy vewy expensive. One job i'm happy to pay someone else to do.

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltz View Post
.........Anybody have any experience installing their own? Pros/Cons?
Well, I am all about a guy building his own jeep. BUT, R&P installs are the most complicated and frustrating thing you can do on a vehicle. I have been turning wrenches professionally and at my home for more than a couple of decades. If you are asking this question I would say pay someone to do it for you. If you still want to do it yourself, admirable, then find the procedure online and invest in all the tools needed. At a minimum you need a dial indicator with magnet base, caliper (to measure shims), a press, and a bearing separator along with every tool needed to totally disassemble your axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode