Researching Oregon: Want to relocate for vineyard. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Researching Oregon: Want to relocate for vineyard.

The wife and I have decided to start moving forward with our adventures of becoming vintners. We've scouted some areas before (NY - Fingerlakes, VA - Charlottesville, Leesburg, etc., PA - central), but just don't like what we're finding. VA has the jobs, but the standard of living is so god awful! NY has the "community" and resources, but no jobs - plus, they just don't make the type of wines we want to make. That leaves the west coast (not going to TX). We've heard great things about the OR wine country and the prices seem reasonable. I've seen quite a few engineering jobs out there for me, and with the wife's background in Naval Intelligence there has to be something she can land.

My question is: Can you give me some feedback on OR (mainly around Portland)? Anything is helpful. I'm taking "the shotgun approach here."

To give you an idea of what we're looking for:
17862 Pflaum Lane Northeast, Silverton OR 97381

7852 Southeast Seawood Road, Amity OR 97101



('cause they didn't have any stemware in the smilies.

Cheers!

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Muvovr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 3,105
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by importmonkey View Post
Naval Intelligence
^^^^^^^^
No such thing...........

The Project is moving forward.
Muvovr is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
^^^^^^^^
No such thing...........

2shay

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 530
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by importmonkey View Post
The wife and I have decided to start moving forward with our adventures of becoming vintners. We've scouted some areas before (NY - Fingerlakes, VA - Charlottesville, Leesburg, etc., PA - central), but just don't like what we're finding. VA has the jobs, but the standard of living is so god awful! NY has the "community" and resources, but no jobs - plus, they just don't make the type of wines we want to make. That leaves the west coast (not going to TX). We've heard great things about the OR wine country and the prices seem reasonable. I've seen quite a few engineering jobs out there for me, and with the wife's background in Naval Intelligence there has to be something she can land.

My question is: Can you give me some feedback on OR (mainly around Portland)? Anything is helpful. I'm taking "the shotgun approach here."

To give you an idea of what we're looking for:
17862 Pflaum Lane Northeast, Silverton OR 97381

7852 Southeast Seawood Road, Amity OR 97101



('cause they didn't have any stemware in the smilies.

Cheers!
Standard of living in VA is awful??? How familiar are you with those areas?

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
G19T is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19T View Post
Standard of living in VA is awful??? How familiar are you with those areas?

We live in Lorton. I'd say we're pretty familiar. Charlottesville isn't bad, but we aren't too impressed with the styles of wines. Plus, being able to make what we make now down there isn't really feasible.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 530
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by importmonkey View Post
We live in Lorton. I'd say we're pretty familiar. Charlottesville isn't bad, but we aren't too impressed with the styles of wines. Plus, being able to make what we make now down there isn't really feasible.
Yea I saw that but living there is different. C-Ville dosent have the highest paying jobs but its a beautiful area. Have you thought about out past Leesburg in like the Purcellville/Western Loudoun area? Tons of money in that area.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
G19T is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19T View Post
Yea I saw that but living there is different. C-Ville dosent have the highest paying jobs but its a beautiful area. Have you thought about out past Leesburg in like the Purcellville/Western Loudoun area? Tons of money in that area.

We really like the Charlottesville area. Just don't think it will work. Took a few shots out near the WV boarder, but again...jobs are around DC and I'm not commuting 2hrs+ each way in DC traffic.



So, no one feels like gloating about OR? By the way, the baby's going to Penn State either way...not gonna be a duck.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru
 
md41969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Age: 50
Posts: 103
Feedback: 0 reviews

Guess I'll be the first actually from the area to respond. Have lived in the Portland metro area pretty much my whole life. It's a nice place to live, probably wouldn't go many other places. The weather is moderate, never gets too hot or cold and if it does it's only for a few days at most. We do get a bit of rain and sometimes it seems like it never ends but am used to it. What I like is that it's an hour or two from the coast, mountain, Easter Oregon (desert) so don't have to drive far to go someplace completely different. Lots of outdoor recreation opportunities around and Portland is pretty busy most of the year with activities. We have great local beer and wine. The Willamette valley where you are looking has become quite the wine region. There are quite a few vineyards both large and small out that way. During the summer it's very crowded out that way with people hoping from winery to winery. Not as familiar with either Silverton or Amity but know they are both small towns, Amity the smaller of the two. Also not sure about your specific job market but I'm sure you could look a bit before coming over. I'd suggest visiting for a bit, stay in Portland and travel out to where you are looking and check it out.
md41969 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Thanks for the response, MD. Doesn't look like you Oregon guys have much to say.

The wife is a little concerned about the gloomy weather thing...mainly why we won't go to Seattle. We are in the process of planning a trip as we speak...kinda why I was looking for some more direction. It's nice to have a few key spots you need to see before going willy nilly.

Thanks again...more comments welcome.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru
 
md41969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Age: 50
Posts: 103
Feedback: 0 reviews

There aren't as many of us on this forum, but we're around. It does rain here, sometimes for a while non stop but it's not that bad overall. I remember a few years ago a friend moved here from Vegas at the beginning of a record of 60 some days of no rain, he kept saying "yeah right, where's the rain?", then when winter hit and it was grey for a month he was ready to move back. It has mellowed out it seems over the years where we used to have the definite seasons but now it's more mellow year round.

Seattle is wetter than we are, quite a bit larger and more congested. Nice city to visit but I'd have to live/work in the suburbs to be up there.

If you visit head up the gorge, nice drive and scenic. Also make sure and visit some of the winery's out towards where you are looking in the valley. There are lots of little towns out there to choose from, I'm sure you'd find someplace you'd like.
md41969 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Wheeler
 
11RUBICON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CARLTON OR
Age: 39
Posts: 38
Feedback: 0 reviews

Look into these areas in Oregon:

Newberg
Yamhill
Carlton
Dundee


I live in the heart of the wine country over here, in Yamhill county

09' RUBICON UNLIMITED ( WIFES )2.5" lift, Bilstein shocks, 4.88 gears, 35" toyo m/t, 17" raceline wheels, fabtech front bumper, vision x tungsten lights, intake, modified borla exaust,

11' RUBICON UNLIMITED 4" TERAFLEX LCG, SPEED BUMPS,FRONT AND REAR DRIVLINES,37" GOODYEAR MT/R KEVLAR,17" ADDICTS,5.38's, MODIFIED XHD FRONT BUMPER, WARN CTI, WARN REAR BUMPER, INTAKE, MBRP OFFROAD EXAUST AND A WHOLE LOT MORE
11RUBICON is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Age: 36
Posts: 31
Feedback: 0 reviews

I was born and raised in the Portland metro area and have never left. Personally, I don't ever see myself leaving the area. Like MD said, probably the hardest thing for "outsiders" is to get used to the weather. But we do have seasons.

Fall: Rain
Winter: Colder rain
Spring: Warm rain
Summer: Scattered showers

I kid.....somewhat. But MD is right, there is so much to do in this area if you don't like staying home on weekends. You are 2 hours from the desert, mountains, and the ocean.

Vineyards always seem to be popping up in Oregon. My aunt worked at a Vineyard for many years until she moved onto bigger and better things. I have a few friends that are teachers and during the summer they work at different vineyards/wineries for supplemental income. They absolutely love it. Oregon is going through the same economic woes as everybody throughout the country. But from my daily perception of living here, people are still spending money and having a good time.

The different events that we have around Portland each year always seem to be packed, and money flowing.

Funny thing that you say your wife is in Naval Intelligence. I've heard that the Navy has been planning on opening a base here in Portland, creating a lot of IT and Intelligence jobs. Now, how much of that rumor is true....I don't know.

But nonetheless, if you are thinking about coming out to Portland for a visit. I would at least come twice. Once in the summer and once in the winter. That way you get to see how our seasons really are.
jsears is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Great advice, guys. Thanks! I didn't think about going a few times to see the different seasons. My wife is researching this "new Naval base" you speak of.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7
Feedback: 0 reviews

What kind of wine are you hoping to work with? The Willamette Valley is well known for Pinot Noir. The terroir there is special above ~300ASL from some ancient flood or volcano eruption and makes some spectacular wines. If you come to visit, let me know and I can point you to some of my favorite places to go tasting if you like.

Hillsboro has many large and small engineering type companys. From Intel, to startup Eco Energy and a more than a few in between. Sounds like Jsears has heard some good rumors about DOD stuff but otherwise I haven't seen any, but I haven't looked either. What kind of engineering are you in?

As for the rain, We do have it. Less then Seattle, but enough that our 2 major university mascots are Ducks and Beavers. That being said, my softtop has been stowed for weeks. I think next Thursday we will be back down to the lower 70s so might raise it again. Sometime October I will move back to the Hardtop in prep for snowboarding the mountain an hour away. In Portland we usualy have a couple snow days per year but black ice can arrive on the cold mornings instead more often.
rpm6500 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Granite Guru
 
Lt. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Age: 43
Posts: 253
Feedback: 0 reviews

Went out to Oregon last month for my sister's wedding in Medford... We didn't want to stay in town, so we found a Bed and Breakfast in Jacksonville... Gotta say, if the town is still like that when I retire, that's where I am moving!!! Quiet.. Friendly people.. beautiful scenery... Check it out!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where the cool kids in VA hang out!!

Military? Got a Jeep?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lt. Dan is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
importmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 411
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm6500 View Post
What kind of wine are you hoping to work with? The Willamette Valley is well known for Pinot Noir. The terroir there is special above ~300ASL from some ancient flood or volcano eruption and makes some spectacular wines. If you come to visit, let me know and I can point you to some of my favorite places to go tasting if you like.

Hillsboro has many large and small engineering type companys. From Intel, to startup Eco Energy and a more than a few in between. Sounds like Jsears has heard some good rumors about DOD stuff but otherwise I haven't seen any, but I haven't looked either. What kind of engineering are you in?

As for the rain, We do have it. Less then Seattle, but enough that our 2 major university mascots are Ducks and Beavers. That being said, my softtop has been stowed for weeks. I think next Thursday we will be back down to the lower 70s so might raise it again. Sometime October I will move back to the Hardtop in prep for snowboarding the mountain an hour away. In Portland we usualy have a couple snow days per year but black ice can arrive on the cold mornings instead more often.
Awesome info. Thanks.

I really appreciate a great Pinot. It's not our favorite, but as a vintner it is the ultimate goal to tame that fickle beast. We prefer leathery, full-bodied Cabs and Malbecs.

I'm an ME. Started looking at jobs out there. There are definitely options.

I'm excited to get back into snowboarding. I like the flexibility you guys have to do pretty much whatever you want out there.

Thanks again!

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
importmonkey is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Newbie
 
Dredrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Feedback: 0 reviews

try looking in Walla Walla or Tri-cities Washington or Oregon just south of there (Milton-Freewater, Pendleton) that whole area is HUGE for wineries and grapes now.

Winners play in the dirt...Losers eat it
Dredrum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome