Moving to Alaska - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Moving to Alaska

Well, looks like the Army has decided it is time for me to move again. I will be joining you wonderful Alaskans in the Nov-Dec 2011 time frame. Any pointers, advice, wisdom? Not gonna know if it will be Fairbanks or Achorage till probably August, so I will play it by ear until then.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Big bears = big guns.

That would be an awesome move imo. No advice, but good luck on the move, enjoy it, and please take some pictures for us.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

How long would you be stationed out there? I think Alaska would be a pretty awesome move too. There's tons of stuff to get into out there.
I'm actually going there for 3 weeks in June. Not gonna make it to Fairbanks, but planning to spend a bunch of time in Seward, Anchorage and the backcountry in Denali Nat Park. I don't have any advice or pointers or anything yet but I might after the trip.
Good luck with your move!

NOT A DUDE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steel Blue 2008 Sahara 2dr with stuff & things
NONE SHALL PASS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Big bears = big guns.

That would be an awesome move imo. No advice, but good luck on the move, enjoy it, and please take some pictures for us.

Words to live BY !!!!!

Been there done that !!!!

The Project is moving forward.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Big bears = big guns.

.45LC
.44Super Mag
.40S&W
KelTec 5.56 (going to be replaced by M4 style eventually)
30-30 Brush Gun

Several smaller calibers

30-06 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodywriter View Post
How long would you be stationed out there? I think Alaska would be a pretty awesome move too. There's tons of stuff to get into out there.
I'm actually going there for 3 weeks in June. Not gonna make it to Fairbanks, but planning to spend a bunch of time in Seward, Anchorage and the backcountry in Denali Nat Park. I don't have any advice or pointers or anything yet but I might after the trip.
Good luck with your move!
3-5 years on station (gonna push for 5 as that will put less than a year from retirement)

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Wheeler

Which one are you coming to? JBER or Fairbanks?

Are you driving up or getting everything shipped? The ALCAN is a LONG and lonely road with very few things open ESP during the time frame youre coming up. I drove up in May and it was very desolate, and I was able to make it from gas station to gas station BARELY. Dont let it stop you though, cause if youre prepared, its an AMAZING drive and scenery.

Im at JBER Elmendorf, so if you have any questions please let me know.

Check out Military Jeepers and AK4x4network.com for other wheelers and help.

2009 X Unlimited Detonator Yellow

6 Spd Hampster driven 3.8/ PSC Evap skid
3.5" RE Basic Kit / PSC Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2's / PSC Bombshell diff cover
PSC Sticker(20 extra added hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)/PSC Rockerknockers
Billstein 5100's / XRC10 Winch with synthetic rope
RE Adjustable trackbar/ Homemade discos
Quadratec CB mount with firestick and uniden CB/
Lightforce 2x 170's/ KC Slim lights/
Procomp steering stabilizer/ Pioneer 7" touchscreen indash/ Infinity speakers
post #7 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFhockey31 View Post
Which one are you coming to? JBER or Fairbanks?

Are you driving up or getting everything shipped? The ALCAN is a LONG and lonely road with very few things open ESP during the time frame youre coming up. I drove up in May and it was very desolate, and I was able to make it from gas station to gas station BARELY. Dont let it stop you though, cause if youre prepared, its an AMAZING drive and scenery.

Im at JBER Elmendorf, so if you have any questions please let me know.

Check out Military Jeepers and AK4x4network.com for other wheelers and help.

Appriciate the info. I am not sure where I will be yet, I will find out once I am in my 6 month window. I did consider the Alcan, but with the wife, daughter, two dogs, a cat and god knows how many fish (blame the wife) I will be taking the ferry. Gonna let uncle sam ship most of the stuff, but I will be towing the Jeep up behind the Ram and pack what we can with us. I do plan to drive the Alcan at some point, but the family is going to over rule me this time.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Appriciate the info. I am not sure where I will be yet, I will find out once I am in my 6 month window. I did consider the Alcan, but with the wife, daughter, two dogs, a cat and god knows how many fish (blame the wife) I will be taking the ferry. Gonna let uncle sam ship most of the stuff, but I will be towing the Jeep up behind the Ram and pack what we can with us. I do plan to drive the Alcan at some point, but the family is going to over rule me this time.
I made the trip up with my ex, german shep and black lab from San Antonio without the ferry. Never tried the ferry

One word of advice is this, if you have ANY mods you will probably want to do, get them done now. Shipping up here is a BITCH. Its insanely expensive and takes forever. I made sure my rig was 99% complete (at least the big stuff) before I made the trip.

There are a lot of things the "lower 48" (as the locals like to call you guys) has that you wont find up here, so be aware. That goes for parts places, food places etc. Hell, they dont even have a Hooters up here. Now dont let that scare you cause there is plenty to do here if you like to get into the city every now and then.

If you get me your address now, and let me know where youre coming to, I can get a welcome pack with all the paperwork, books, etc about Anchorage and send it to you. That way you have an idea on what youre going to be going for.

If youre coming to Anchorage, look towards Eagle River for housing if youre not staying on base(I wouldnt advise doing that because youll make way more money living off base). Also everyone that says the winters are horrible up here, really are over playing it. I made it through the entire winter here without my front diff working cause the gears blew up. So I was rear wheel drive and had only 1 issue if that, and it wasnt anything big. Fairbanks gets COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD cause youre so far in land. During the summer though, it will get into the 80's and 90's. The winter however will get 20-30 below 0 almost always.

Anchorage is pretty mild. We generally stay from 2/3 degrees to the mid 20's in the winter, and last summer it was mostly 60's.

Depending on your cell phone service, you may want to switch to ATT. Other services will work up here, but its primarily ATT's land here. They have all of the towers and you wont find a sprint/verizon/tmobile store up here.

Anyway, keep me posted and ill try to help out any way I can. Again, its very helpful to know what part of AK youre coming to.

2009 X Unlimited Detonator Yellow

6 Spd Hampster driven 3.8/ PSC Evap skid
3.5" RE Basic Kit / PSC Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2's / PSC Bombshell diff cover
PSC Sticker(20 extra added hp
)/PSC Rockerknockers
Billstein 5100's / XRC10 Winch with synthetic rope
RE Adjustable trackbar/ Homemade discos
Quadratec CB mount with firestick and uniden CB/
Lightforce 2x 170's/ KC Slim lights/
Procomp steering stabilizer/ Pioneer 7" touchscreen indash/ Infinity speakers
post #9 of 13 Old 05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'll be getting up there around the same time as you. Post up when you find out where. I'm going to Wainwright so if you are going there, maybe we can meet up once we are both up there.

I was stationed there once before. It was awesome. Took the ferry up and drove the ALCAN back. The ferry is amazing. Probably going to do that again. If you have any questions or anything, drop me a pm.

Ron
post #10 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well still no update on pinpoint location. After some research looks like it will be the Alcan the whole way. The ferry doesnt run when the ice does and the ferry recently trippled its price, $2700! I can drive there towing the Jeep for less than that.

Basicly still in standby mode. I will keep you all updated as things progress ever so slowly. Talked to my Branch Manager and HQDA and was told not to expect orders till august time frame.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Glad to see there are some more military jeeper up here!! AFhockey is completely right with everything... Shipping sucks... I did find one place that will add most of what you need shipped to his pallet shipments, when he has them, but the only downside is that the shipments are not too frequent (in the winter time) but the summer time he has more...

My girlfriend just took the ferry up from Seattle and over to kodiak. She seemed to enjoy it, but i can't imagine that during the winter time.

Quick thread jack.... AFhockey, you know any good places to wheel around here? Mud or rock, either is great. Also, are you on JBER?

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #12 of 13 Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Alaska is a wonderful yet different kind of place. Either you love it or hate it.
one of my long time friends always said "Alaska where the men are men and so are the women"! Now I was seeing a very attractive lady there and she was awesome....hope life is good to ya, but if you eat a cheeseburger dont wipe your hands on your shirt and then go out hiking.....
post #13 of 13 Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Are you looking for any particular info?
Lived up here for 27 years. It's a great place to be IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode