Q about Wyoming/ Montana/Utah - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Q about Wyoming/ Montana/Utah

Throwing around a possible move to one of those states. Would like real info about taxes, gun ownership, moonbats, etc. Not the sunshine the state's sites pump up your ass.

I would have to give up Florida's weather but it's getting so damned crowded down here it's almost a tossup. Not to mention the moonbat issue. Used to be solid red state but so many libtards and hind tit suckers are moving here that it's tilting bad.

I'm more of a personal responsibility type and I reckon I could get used to 4 seasons a year.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Rock God

If you enjoy a spirited beverage you can pretty much cross Utah off of that list. They make it a real pain in the butt to have a drink.

Curious why no Idaho in that group? That's where I'm from originally and after living in Colorado, Tennessee and N. Carolina were currently working on making it back there.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

You can still get good booze in Utah you just have to buy it from a state run liquor store.

Gun laws in Utah are fantastic, ccw is easy to get and allows you to carry pretty much anywhere regardless of if it's posted no guns allowed. Utah's CCW is also valid in at least 36 states but I think that number just went up as well. Open carry is widely accepted here and I've never been questioned the few times I've done it.

Safety inspections here suck, I finally got around to registering in Oregon so I don't have to deal with them anymore. I can honestly say I think Utah has the strictest safety inspections in the country.

Obviously the wheeling is fantastic it's Utah afterall.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Rock God

Montana:

Easy concealed weapons permit. Open carry almost anywhere. No concealed carry allowed in buildings owned or leased by the federal, state or local government; financial institutions; or any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed.

No sales tax.

Eastern Montana has very low unemployment. Basically, if you can pass a drug test and are willing to work, there are jobs. For skilled or technical labor, the jobs pay well compared to the cost of living.

Billings, Montana, has been voted one of the best places in the country to start a business. Billings is the largest city, with a little over 100k people in the city and 140k in the entire county.

We are at a lower elevation, about 3500 feet, so winters are milder than in the rest of the State.

People here don't even know what a traffic jam or rush hour traffic is like in a bigger city.

Montana has no vehicle safety or emissions inspections.

Downsides are that it can get windy. There are definitely some cold days. State Income tax is 6.9%--to make up for no sales tax. Air flight tickets are convenient, but much more expensive.

Look also at Rapid City, South Dakota, near the Black Hills Forest.

Look also at Northern Wyoming--Sheridan or Cody.

Neither Wyoming or South Dakota have state income tax.

If I could snowbird anywhere, it would be to the Saint George, Utah, area.

The "moonbats" in Montana live mostly in Western Montana--Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell. In Wyoming, I think they would tend to be more concentrated near the Jackson Hole area. In Utah, I think there are a fair amount in Salt Lake City, and then in places like Moab.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

I lived near Planman for several years. Billings is nice, especially if you want some city comforts nearby. But it's 2 hours from the mountains. Outside of Planman's private offroad park, if you want some good Jeeping/fishing/hiking/hunting, it's two hours from there. I used to tell people that Billings was 2 hours from the real Montana.

I'd make a case for western Montana. Some wack-jobs in the cities, but not as many as you'd find elsewhere. I'm tucked away outside of Thompson Falls (seriously, do a Google image search). Very few people, millions of acres of forest thousands of miles of trails. Great hunting/fishing/rec. opportunities everywhere. Closer to the grocery/hardware/gas station than I was when I lived near Billings.

Taxes are not bad. Open carry is the norm. You'll see someone packing heat on their hip in town all the time, no big deal. The people are nice and helpful folks, not like anywhere I've ever been. I tell folks that if you're broke-down on the side of the highway, and if the very first car to come by does not stop to help, they were from out of town. Yet, they are not too nosy and you can be left alone if you want. The crazy old guy down the road from me only leaves the house once a month to get supplies. Nobody bothers him.

The valley we are in has the mildest climate in the state, and we are protected from much of the windy and harsh conditions Planman mentioned.

Downsides are that there are not many jobs outside of the population centers. (My wife and I both work from home, so it was not an issue for us). That, and there is no Wal-Mart or box stores anywhere near here. The nearest stoplight is more than a hundred miles from my house.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)

Last edited by Guruman; 01-16-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correction
post #6 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the replies. My wife has an uncle in Monument,Co and a cousin somewhere in Montana.

I think the biggest hurdle will be the weather. Right now here the wind chill is close to the upper 30's and I'm freezing my ass off, Guess Jimmy Buffett was right... 'I gotta go where the weather suits my clothes"

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Proud to be deplorable

post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
JKowners Vendor

X2...lots of customers in Wyoming/ Montana...COLD, add not much work and what their is is very underpaid.. Look at Nevada..

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #8 of 10 Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

If I went to Nv then I'd have to say Harry Reid is one of my senators.... Pass

Proud to be deplorable

post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Wheeler

I live in Cody, WY which was suggested by Planman.

Gun laws are very open here in WY. You don't need a CCL as long as you're over the age of 21. But you can not carry open or concealed in a govt. building or a place that sells or distributes alcohol. Don't even have to announce you have a gun when getting pulled over.

Pay is low and living is high. Sales tax is 4% and no state income tax.

Schools here have quite a bit of money. Every student from 6th-12th grade has personal Mac computers or iPads.

Town is full of bars and places to buy liqueur. Even have drive-thru liqueur stores. They love their alcohol here, can't seem to have enough of it!

Winters are long and COLD. It's windy all day everyday. Summers are short and average about 85* for about 2 months. Elevation is about 5000 ft. We don't have 4 seasons, we have two; winter and construction. The scenery here is amazingly beautiful though during the warmer days.

Population is just below 10,000 and the next biggest town is 30 miles away at 6,000 people. County population is like 27,000. 95% of it is Republican.

Wyoming has no vehicle safety or emissions inspections.

It's a tourist town. Town opens up in May and closes in Sept. Yellowstone is only 50 miles away which is a plus to living here. But, once it hits Sept. some stores are only open minimal hours or not open at all.

Half the population leaves every weekend and goes to Billings, MT to go shopping since there is no clothing stores, Home Depot, Lowes, chain restaurants, ect.

We have worse drivers than California and when it snows everyone acts like it's their first day behind the wheel. Then during the summer time when all of the tourass's come, it's impossible to take a trip through town without almost getting hit.

I recommend not moving to Cody.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

I miss Cody, WY. I used to do a lot of work down there for the Neilson family when I lived near Billings.

The all-you-can-eat prime rib buffet at the Erma was always a hit. Fishing the Shoshone River was always fun too. Some fantastic wheeling up at Clark Fork Canyon on the Morrison Jeep Trail. Sheep Mountain was fun too. Skiing at the Sleeping Giant ski area in winter.

You're right though, there are some drawbacks. Cold, wind, tourists, and little rain caused me to look elsewhere when it came to relocate. That's why we landed in extreme western Montana instead. I'll always have a soft-spot for Cody though.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode