Moving to Corvalis, OR. ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Moving to Corvalis, OR. ?

Looking for some information about the Covalis area. I'm married with two children. My son is 13 going into the 8th grade, daughter is 14 entering high school.
I've recently become eligible for an early retirement and collect a respectable pension. I would like to work part time pursuing some type of metal fabrication or gunsmithing just to keep busy and have cash for my hobbies. My wife works as a veterinary nurse and would look to continue in her line of work.
We live in California, close to the bay area and to put it plainly, I'm done. I think Oregon would be a refreshing change and I think my kids would do quite well, living in a college town.
Any personal knowledge of the area would be greatly appreciated. Something other than chamber of commerce type info.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Rock God

First thing you need to know about is the mandatory minimum laws on Oregon... If your family is attacked you can NOT defend yourself. Shooting an intruder is MURDER. Fighting off an attacker is ASSAULT, and there is no mutual combat... you get into a bar fight and you two will both go for 90 month minimum sentence.

Oregon's timber than farming industries died with the administrations of those era's and it is now a prison state. I know this because we are looking at leasing a call center there at a prison near Boise- the sales rep was explaining to me how we could be getting american workers at slave wages.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
First thing you need to know about is the mandatory minimum laws on Oregon... If your family is attacked you can NOT defend yourself. Shooting an intruder is MURDER. Fighting off an attacker is ASSAULT, and there is no mutual combat... you get into a bar fight and you two will both go for 90 month minimum sentence.

Oregon's timber than farming industries died with the administrations of those era's and it is now a prison state. I know this because we are looking at leasing a call center there at a prison near Boise- the sales rep was explaining to me how we could be getting american workers at slave wages.

I'll look into that. I wasn't expecting input from someone in Jersey. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ha, see, that's why I want to move there. Nobody lives there.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

I've only spent a few weekends there mostly watching my kid play ball, but probably half dozen times the past couple years. Not a bad place to visit, kind of secluded but fairly close to the coast or Salem/Eugene which are a bit larger. Mostly agriculture around that area. The old part of downtown is cool, lots of shops, restaurants and what not but not too big. The town is sort of spread out, almost two parts. Close to the college is the old downtown and then heading North there is more shopping and appears to be newer with residential in between. Personally don't know anybody who lives there, know a few who went to OSU but that's about it.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post

Your whole first paragraph is pure bullshit!! Agriculture is doing just fine,it's the timber industry that's taken a shit.Btw,Boise is in Idaho,not Oregon.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode