Death Wobble checkup in Portland, Or / Vancouver, WA - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Death Wobble checkup in Portland, Or / Vancouver, WA

I got the wobble perty bad and don't have the complete know how or tools to diagnose and fix. I called up 4wheel parts and they said they could do a checkup for 85 buckaroos which seems reasonable. BUT, I was put on hold for about 5 minutes so in that time I had read through all the google reviews and came across some ripoff reports which got me worried (I know that no business can satisfy everyone and unsatisfied customers are usually the loudest).
So, I ask, does anyone have a better recommendation for a shop to diagnose my issue if not 4wheel parts in the Portland/ Vancouver area?

While I'm at it, how about a shop that is good with a JK engine swap (down the road a ways, but I might as well stick to one shop for all my issues)?

Thanks, and if mentioning a shop or discussing price for service was inappropriate, sorry, I will take down.

Last edited by SulliCON; 08-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulliCON View Post
I got the wobble perty bad and don't have the complete know how or tools to diagnose and fix. I called up 4wheel parts and they said they could do a checkup for 85 buckaroos which seems reasonable. BUT, I was put on hold for about 5 minutes so in that time I had read through all the google reviews and came across some ripoff reports which got me worried (I know that there will no business can satisfy everyone and unsatisfied customers are usually the loudest).
So, I ask, does anyone have a better recommendation for a shop to diagnose my issue if not 4wheel parts in the Portland/ Vancouver area?

While I'm at it, how about a shop that is good with a JK engine swap (down the road a ways, but I might as well stick to one shop for all my issues)?

Thanks, and if mentioning a shop or discussing price for service was inappropriate, sorry, I will take down.
4WP is hit or miss. They are mostly good at looking at catalogs picking out parts to replace.

I would find a smaller independent 4x4 shop. I am not familiar with anybody in your area, but if you are willing to travel a bit there a couple of good shops in the Tacoma and Seattle areas.

You are allowed to talk about anything here. No censor ship regarding vendors, prices, etc.

You may want to ask your question on NW-wheelers.com/forum or pnwjeep.net/forum to get more responses for good shops.

I'd also suggest looking at this: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76493

It has a lot of good info.

Lastly, there is a big difference between a little wobble and full on death wobble. A lot of times a little wobble can turn into the full on death wobble, though.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Wheeler

A lot of people like Accessory Outfitters in Beaverton. Never been there personally, usually end up fixing it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Had the same thing, many shops tried but John's Alignment on Burnside is the true master.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Granite Guru

Death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulliCON View Post
I got the wobble perty bad and don't have the complete know how or tools to diagnose and fix. I called up 4wheel parts and they said they could do a checkup for 85 buckaroos which seems reasonable. BUT, I was put on hold for about 5 minutes so in that time I had read through all the google reviews and came across some ripoff reports which got me worried (I know that no business can satisfy everyone and unsatisfied customers are usually the loudest).

Actually - checking parts for Death Wobble isn't that difficult. There is a great you Tube video that walks you through the process. You need very basic hand tools and a jack to do the inspection. Once the inspection is done, you will at least have an idea of parts that need to be replaced

PLANMAN explains Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler Part 1 - YouTube

Part 2, PLANMAN explains Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler - YouTube

I went through the steps and found I needed to replace the track bar, drag link, tie rod and now need to test to find out about the ball joints.....
post #6 of 6 Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the replies!! the youtube videos were a great help. I'll be heading to John's alignment after that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode