SOFT TOP WINDOW FAIL - UGH - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

SOFT TOP WINDOW FAIL - UGH

Hey all! Any suggestions how to keep the side soft windows from practically flying out? I tried shimmying the whole thing down, but it keeps popping out of the slot that butts up agains the back end of the rear pass door (See pic). It only gets worse on the highway. Was thinking of gluing velcro down the strip? Did I overlook something really obvious?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JerseyDevil; 06-18-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinnj View Post
Hey all! Any suggestions how to keep the side soft windows from practically flying out? I tried shimmying the whole thing down, but it keeps popping out of the slot that butts up agains the back end of the rear pass door (See pic). It only gets worse on the highway. Was thinking of gluing velcro down the strip? Did I overlook something really obvious?
Thanks in advance.
If it's pressed into the indent inside door surround I cant see how it can peel itself out....
post #3 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

You need to rotate the forward end 90* and lock it into the door surround. Pretty common newb mistake.

Gluing? Velco? Installing it properly outta do just fine!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
You need to rotate the forward end 90* and lock it into the door surround. Pretty common newb mistake.

Gluing? Velco? Installing it properly outta do just fine!
What he said.

I started with a hard top, but made the same error when I got the soft. I even went the velcro route. Does not work.

The hard plastic "L" shaped end bends into the channel on the door surround. It will zipper tight when everything is in its' place.

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
post #5 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnhl2005 View Post
If it's pressed into the indent inside door surround I cant see how it can peel itself out....
I know, right? I don't know, I got it used. Just going to wait til a meetup and see if anyone has any thoughts other than
post #6 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_campede View Post
What he said.

The hard plastic "L" shaped end bends into the channel on the door surround. It will zipper tight when everything is in its' place.
Yeah, the L lays in the channel perfectly until I get out on the road, then it starts flapping. Rotated it 90 degrees and saw no solution. just read the manual too. Me to windows =
post #7 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinnj View Post
Yeah, the L lays in the channel perfectly until I get out on the road, then it starts flapping. Rotated it 90 degrees and saw no solution. just read the manual too. Me to windows =
I don't know how far from hammonton you are but I'd be happy to meet up tonight to help out. I get off work in pomona at five. Let me know.

~ Dave G. ~
Jersey
Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the Crew.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Here's what I typically do:

with whole window removed..

Open door..start zipper about 3-4 inches, then from top of door surround..

insert hard part of window into top of channel (can only be seen with door open)..

work hard part of window into channel all the way down.. pivot plastic flap at bottom of window down, to get under bottom of door surround..

start from fron to back, working plastic flap under metal trim where hard top would usually go..

Fully zipper window in place and work upper part of window back under the top, velcro window under top. repeat on other side..

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #9 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

It's the same as the soft top channel tabs. Artayay sounds like he's got it right. A picture will really do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred359 View Post
I don't know how far from hammonton you are but I'd be happy to meet up tonight to help out. I get off work in pomona at five. Let me know.
STAND UP OFFER!!! I totally appreciate the gesture. The weather is awesome though - just taking it off. Can revisit on the 28th? Night class or else I would head to Hammonton. Only 20 mins from Marlton. Thanks!!!
post #11 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Attachment 50178 here's the thing peeled back...

Probably sent while fueling up (again) at Wawa.

post #12 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Attachment 50179 all zippered up re Christian's directions. Still did it, but thanks for the awesome write up!

post #13 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Attachment 50180the winner was Dave with the "u" mention. I was thinking L. Thanks everyone. You guys rock!

post #14 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Good stuff, glad I could help.

Now get that top down, it's 85 degrees!

~ Dave G. ~
Jersey
Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the Crew.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks like you got it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #16 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred359 View Post
Good stuff, glad I could help.

Now get that top down, it's 85 degrees!
Will do!!! Once I re-read everything, seems so obvious. Next on me. Velcro and Crazy glue going back to Voorhees Lowe's!
post #17 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Was always wondering why I occasionally see people driving with their windows flapping like that...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Was always wondering why I occasionally see people driving with their windows flapping like that...
LOL - my neighbor across the street STILL has this problem. Gonna leave a link to this thread on the back of a JKO JC card tonight.

post #19 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Yeap, that would have been me!
post #20 of 21 Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
LOL - my neighbor across the street STILL has this problem. Gonna leave a link to this thread on the back of a JKO JC card tonight.
Hope she's cute...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-14-2019, 09:37 AM

Don't suppose anybody has the pics that went with this thread. I've got the issue of the top of the window popping out on the passenger's side (Rampage Trailview). Their solution was a rubber mallet to seat the U (tried to explain that it wasn't an issue with seating properly, it pops out after seating -- their solution was to send a new roof that does the same thing). Used the rubber mallet, still pops free. Not a novice -- been running soft top Jeeps for 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in