Balljoints .... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Balljoints ....

so my ball joints are starting to go on my jeep. i took it to hazlet and said they cant fix it under warranty due to my tires (35x12.50x17). does anyone know a dealer that works with lifted jeeps ? OR should i just take it to globex and get the synergy ball joints?

ALSO myy steering is very loose. could this be from the bad ball joints? if not, what else can cause this issue? i know there are a lot of threads with loose steering but id rather just ask here and maybe someone can help me

Name is O, but call me Omar for short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Just do the ball joints yourself, i bought the usa alloy ones, there a little cheaper than the synergy ones and seem to be holding up pretty well.i only bought them because i could not get synergy Bj's (backorder), but they are doing fairly well. If you buy the bj removal tool from harbor freight, expect about 5 hours or so of time to replace them. First side will have you cussing, the other side you will knock out in no time!

As far as lose steering goes, in what way? Do you have allot of play in the steering or is it just soft?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #3 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconquered View Post
Just do the ball joints yourself, i bought the usa alloy ones, there a little cheaper than the synergy ones and seem to be holding up pretty well.i only bought them because i could not get synergy Bj's (backorder), but they are doing fairly well. If you buy the bj removal tool from harbor freight, expect about 5 hours or so of time to replace them. First side will have you cussing, the other side you will knock out in no time!

As far as lose steering goes, in what way? Do you have allot of play in the steering or is it just soft?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i looked up the installation for ball joints and i personally do not want to take a chance with them. id rather have someone who knows what they are doing install mine

and i have a lot of play with my steering ..its not tight at all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

I would suggest just upgrading to the poly performance if your going to have it done you might as we upgrade.

Black Jeep
post #5 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjk2012 View Post
i looked up the installation for ball joints and i personally do not want to take a chance with them. id rather have someone who knows what they are doing install mine

and i have a lot of play with my steering ..its not tight at all
You can't go wrong with Globex!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Rock God

I'm swapping my Ball Joints tomorrow. Never done it before but all the YouTube videos make it look pretty simple. I am using MOOG joints and borrowed the tools from O'reillys this morning.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #7 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
I'm swapping my Ball Joints tomorrow. Never done it before but all the YouTube videos make it look pretty simple. I am using MOOG joints and borrowed the tools from O'reillys this morning.
let me know how it goes!

post #8 of 12 Old 07-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjk2012 View Post
let me know how it goes!
They are in. Second side went easier since I got experience on the first side. Oriellys ball joint tool sucked. Not many adapters with it. Luckily I had some sockets that worked.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #9 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Take it to Globex and get the synergy balljoints. If you want to try another dealership, sometimes World Jeep in Shrewsbury can be mod friendly.

Greg
post #10 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 04:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have had my Synergy Ball Joints in with my 37's for over a year, they seem to be holding up pretty good.

Give it shot yourself, you'll save a ton of money. When you pay for labor on the bj install alot of it is pulling tires, brake calipers, axle shafts and knucles to get to the ball joints...easy stuff but you'll be paying out the butt for it.

See if you have a auto parts store that will lend you the ball joint press and the 4X4 adapters for the press. You can do it.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
Take it to Globex and get the synergy balljoints. If you want to try another dealership, sometimes World Jeep in Shrewsbury can be mod friendly.
yeah i might do it at globex to save the headache lol but im gonna call world jeep tomorrow and see if they hook me up!

post #12 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I have had my Synergy Ball Joints in with my 37's for over a year, they seem to be holding up pretty good.

Give it shot yourself, you'll save a ton of money. When you pay for labor on the bj install alot of it is pulling tires, brake calipers, axle shafts and knucles to get to the ball joints...easy stuff but you'll be paying out the butt for it.

See if you have a auto parts store that will lend you the ball joint press and the 4X4 adapters for the press. You can do it.
i dont know man lol i saw a video on how to do it and I'm really not too sure about this one :/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode