37" tires with 4.88 or 5.13 gears? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

37" tires with 4.88 or 5.13 gears?

I live in Oxford, MI and was wondering if anyone in the area is running 37" tires with 4.88 or 5.13 gears? I have 4.10 gears with 37's and its a freaking turd and I know I need to re-gear. I wanted to see if there is anyone that lives near Oxford who would be willing to take me for a ride in their Jeep if they are running either one of these set ups. Also I am wondering what everyone recommends, I have an automatic. I would like to try and salvage as much driveability as I can on the highway but 80% of my driving is city. Thanks for your help and input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

5.13's without question. My JKs have had 3.73, 4.10, 5.13, and 5.38's. I personally think 5.38's are the way to go with 37's if you have a d44 front but if you have a d30 5.13's are it.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny727 View Post
I live in Oxford, MI and was wondering if anyone in the area is running 37" tires with 4.88 or 5.13 gears? I have 4.10 gears with 37's and its a freaking turd and I know I need to re-gear. I wanted to see if there is anyone that lives near Oxford who would be willing to take me for a ride in their Jeep if they are running either one of these set ups. Also I am wondering what everyone recommends, I have an automatic. I would like to try and salvage as much driveability as I can on the highway but 80% of my driving is city. Thanks for your help and input in advance.
You just bought that jeep from my work. My buddy ben who lives in attica has a 4 door with 5.13's in it. I don't think hes on this forum, he stays over on the dark side. send me a PM and I'll see if I can put you in touch with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Auto or stick?

Either way I can't see going with 4:88's.

I'm running 5:13's on 37's ( manual). Awesome... can accidentally chirp 'em in 2nd gear lol.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have an auto....yeah it sounds like without question 5.13 is the way to go...I know a guy who has 37's with 5.13 gears but hes got a 4.0 liter so its hard to compare bc clearly my 3.8 doesnt have the torque/grunt the 4.0 does. Totally off topic but any performance mods you would suggest? I have an airaid cai and throttle body, but was considering a superchips programmer any recommendations? Also what about exhaust, I dont want it to sound like a rice burner and be all raspy just looking for a nice throaty sound.
post #6 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

I have 4.88 and Toyo 37s, it's a slug but will still run 80 down the highway. Most R&P breakage I have seen has been with 5.13 gears or numerically higher. Oh and I have the auto.

Bryan
post #7 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I have an auto....yeah it sounds like without question 5.13 is the way to go...I know a guy who has 37's with 5.13 gears but hes got a 4.0 liter so its hard to compare bc clearly my 3.8 doesnt have the torque/grunt the 4.0 does. Totally off topic but any performance mods you would suggest? I have an airaid cai and throttle body, but was considering a superchips programmer any recommendations? Also what about exhaust, I dont want it to sound like a rice burner and be all raspy just looking for a nice throaty sound.
I haven't made any intentional engine mods lmao... so idk what currently is the best bang for the buck in that department. Plenty of ppl that have.. check around if you don't get sufficient replies in this thread.

I have a little Hushpower II under my girls rear-end. She sounds nice. Not gonna mistake it for a Hemi lol... but def better sound than stock. Slight drone sometimes... especially if givin her a lotta RPM's in lower gears, but I like the sound.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah that is what I read that there has been quite a few people who broke 5.13's and none that have broken a 4.88. So let me ask you this bnb2010, if you had it to do over would you get 5.13's based on performance and driveability?
post #9 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

StubEXrube, what did that Hushpower II cost? I dont mind a lil drone but dont want it to sound like some of the other jeeps I see running around that sound like junk
post #10 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would say there is an extremely small number of people that have broke their 5.13 gears. I would not worry about the strength of 5.13's they are plenty strong for 90% of wheelers. You have an auto trust me you will regret 4.88's the moment you drive it with the new gears.

As far as engine mods cold air intakes are a waste of money as are exhausts in regards to performance gains. I run a Jeepswag exhaust only for the added ground clearance and weight savings. It sounds great with zero drone and is one of the quietest JK exhausts on the market, which is what I wanted. Cold air intakes do nothing but make your rig more susceptible to hydrolock. I run a K&N drop in filter just so I can wash it often and not have to keep buying disposable filters.

I have a superchip flashpaq and it is pretty cool. It makes a little difference in performance mainly in regards to tranny shift points. It has tons of other features such as setting tire size. If I was you I would save up for the superchips trail dash for the added features and quicker use.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
StubEXrube, what did that Hushpower II cost? I dont mind a lil drone but dont want it to sound like some of the other jeeps I see running around that sound like junk
Wasn't much...only about $55 IIRC. but its just the muffler ONLY. I didn't go with an entire system. Was going to have it be temp until I figured out what I wanted.. but been real happy with it so never changed it.

BTW- Almost all the breakage I've seen has been on 5:38's in the JK. Not that some haven't blown some 5:13's... just that it shouldn't be an issue if they are installed/ set-up correctly... and if the driver isn't trying to bump and throttle over everything in sight. Wheel spin when it comes back down and contacts the ground is the most common way to kill your gears. Don't do that and you should be fine.

post #12 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Auto or stick?

Either way I can't see going with 4:88's.

I'm running 5:13's on 37's ( manual). Awesome... can accidentally chirp 'em in 2nd gear lol.
I am currently in the process of swapping from 5:13's to 4:88's with a manual and 37's. I will let you all know what I think once they are installed. Stock 2011 engine.
post #13 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

PhrogMech46, I didnt add the CAI it was on the Jeep when I bought it but I have read they can actually hurt performance...I have a AEV procal programmer again it came with the Jeep but its kind of limited so I was actually looking at the superchips trail dash kit...so I guess the only real way to add power is a supercharger or drop a hemi or LS motor in it.
post #14 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

FireTrail741 thanks I would really appreciate if you would let me know
post #15 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
PhrogMech46, I didnt add the CAI it was on the Jeep when I bought it but I have read they can actually hurt performance...I have a AEV procal programmer again it came with the Jeep but its kind of limited so I was actually looking at the superchips trail dash kit...so I guess the only real way to add power is a supercharger or drop a hemi or LS motor in it.
Someone correct me please if i'm wrong but CAI's may produce better peak numbers but sacrifice low-mid range power where Jeeps spend most of their time.

I would agree that increased displacement or forced induction is where its at. The prices on used RIPP superchargers is becoming more affordable, that's the route I'm going.

The AEV procal is a great little tool for the money and has a good resale value if you go with the trail dash.

See Garage for Mods
post #16 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Keep in mind that he has a manual and you have an auto so its not comparing apples to apples.

See Garage for Mods
post #17 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah I did take that into mind..what kind of prices are you seeing for used supercharger kits? Because that is the more realistic route to me
post #18 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Someone correct me please if i'm wrong but CAI's may produce better peak numbers but sacrifice low-mid range power where Jeeps spend most of their time.
Not sure if the numbers are sacrificed but certainly not benefited. Not even sure what top-end gains ppl are getting with various CAI's but yea.. I would look more the route of a programmer. I also didn't like all the dirt I would find in my intake after running an AFE CAI on my '06 Unlimited. I was using a pre-filter as well. The sound was kinda cool/ kinda irritating lol.

post #19 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yeah that is what I read that there has been quite a few people who broke 5.13's and none that have broken a 4.88. So let me ask you this bnb2010, if you had it to do over would you get 5.13's based on performance and driveability?
No. What I regret is not buying a JK already modded lol. It really boils down to how you drive. I don't think you will be disappointed with either choice

Bryan
post #20 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well right now with 4.10's I pussy foot it bc I dont wanna drain my tank..but I will probably end up with 5.13's as that seems to be the majority response.
post #21 of 48 Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I will. When I am done I will have a comparison between the 4:10's, 4:88's and 5:13's.
post #22 of 48 Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Im not unhappy with my 538s and auto. Lots of jump. Maybe I dont wheel hard enough to break them though.

Sent from my severely warped brain
post #23 of 48 Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
I will. When I am done I will have a comparison between the 4:10's, 4:88's and 5:13's.
bump

any update on the new gears?
post #24 of 48 Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Granite Guru

5.13 with a stick, 5.38 with an auto. the RPM difference is 200-300 and more time in the power band is always better.

08 jk unlimited rubicon auto
4" currie lift, Reid Racing Knuckles, GenRight fenders and rock sliders 37" MTR's,Soft 8's DIY beadlocks,

post #25 of 48 Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Rock God

5.38's without a doubt. Just did mine a couple months ago. I would not have been happy with 5.13's. I have an AUTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode