Silver Lake Sand Dunes - Day Trip Sat, September 15! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Day-trip: there and back on Saturday 1 20.00%
Stay overnight Friday, wheel Saturday 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Silver Lake Sand Dunes - Day Trip Sat, September 15!

Plan details:
Friday 9/14: travel day, stay overnight (everyone is responsible for their own accommodations)
Saturday 9/15: meet for breakfast at Lakewinds Restaurant at 8am, register at 9am, hit the dunes, break for lunch and beach-time, wheel some more, group dinner at 6-7pm (location TBD), leave for home that evening or stay one more night and leave Sunday.

For accommodations, call or contact Sierra Sands Hotel in Mears directly. Here's their info...
http://www.sierrasands.com/

Post up if interested!

Who's going:
ChryslerChris (Chris)
white_rubicon (Will)
InTeRnEt_RyAn (Ryan)

Maybe's:
jvelthoven (Jay)

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 09-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Interesting....have to check my schedule!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Rock God

Tentative - although given your schedule, I may try to go up Friday and camp for a night instead of getting up at 5 to be in Lansing at 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Rock God

I'll check the calendar...

Sent via Raven.
Winter is coming!

2008 Rescue Green Unlimited Rubicon
Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel? They're a little melty, but damn, are they exquisite.
post #5 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Granite Guru

I will check and see.
post #6 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Added Plan B. That sounds more appealing to me as well, but Plan A gives others that can't get away Friday a chance to day-trip it.\\

If there are several wanting to do Plan B, I will call the hotels there and see if we can get a group rate.

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
post #7 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Granite Guru

Do they still do the entry vouchers on the weekends in September? If so, that might be reason enough to arrive Friday night, so you can get your entry voucher.
post #8 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hmmm, I know I cant do the 8th R&V because I will be seeing my parents off.

I like plan B, but may stop at my sis-inlaws.

So I am tentative.
post #9 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Rock God

I'll check into it, I haven't had a chance to go yet

I finally understand JustEmptyEveryPocket...
post #10 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Rock God

Chris,

Is there enough wheeling to due to make it an all day event? I been to silver lake, but only to go to the beach. I am in, since I cannot make R&V the week before.

2011 Cosmo Blue JKU...Climbs shit
2008 Lightning Red Sti...Fast as shit
1981 White Me...takes alot of shits
post #11 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM
JKO Addict!

I'll be there if we're making good progress on the Bronco
post #12 of 102 Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

I'm down to play in the sand! I'll probably drive over Saturday morning and wheel then stay the night and play some more on Sunday before heading for home.

Last edited by white_rubicon; 08-14-2012 at 04:27 PM.
post #13 of 102 Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningsti View Post
Chris,

Is there enough wheeling to due to make it an all day event? I been to silver lake, but only to go to the beach. I am in, since I cannot make R&V the week before.
From all the feedback I'm getting, it really is a diffrent kinda trip. Think of it as wheeling, drinking (lightly!), picnicking, spending time on the beach, jet-wheeling some more, have dinner, adjourn. If we make it a day of fun instead of just 100% wheeling it becomes a much nicer experneice.

That's what I'm planning at least. Agenda to follow once I know we have brave souls willing to go!

By the way, the roster is being tracked on the OP. Just so everyone can check.

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 08-15-2012 at 10:28 AM.
post #14 of 102 Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
From all the feedback I'm getting, it really is a diffrent kinda trip. Think of it as wheeling, drinking (lightly!), picnicking, spending time on the beach, jet-wheeling some more, have dinner, adjourn. If we make it a day of fun instead of just 100% wheeling it becomes a much nicer experience.
Yep. The sand dunes is much more relaxing then our normal wheeling trips. Think more "day at the beach" and less hardcore wheeling.

Note: adult beverages are not allowed in the park. It's a state park patrolled by the DNR. So rules are a little more enforced then some may be use to.

You need:
- 10 foot flag on the front
- ORV sticker
- State park sticker

I can't wait!!! I've been trying to get to the dunes all summer!
post #15 of 102 Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Well here is my problem. If I go the wife works till 8 am so we would head out then and get there around 12pm. She really wants to take the little one to the beach, just wondering if we can take the little one wheeling for a bit then hit the beach and relax.

2011 Cosmo Blue JKU...Climbs shit
2008 Lightning Red Sti...Fast as shit
1981 White Me...takes alot of shits
post #16 of 102 Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningsti View Post
Well here is my problem. If I go the wife works till 8 am so we would head out then and get there around 12pm. She really wants to take the little one to the beach, just wondering if we can take the little one wheeling for a bit then hit the beach and relax.
Sure. Basically once we get there, everyone's free to roam - be it at the beach, on the dunes or in town.

post #17 of 102 Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 PM
JKO Addict!

I am for sure out now, too much to do on the Bronco...Casey and I sat down today laying out whats next...we have too much to do before Bobcaygeon...Sorry
post #18 of 102 Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impostr View Post
I am for sure out now, too much to do on the Bronco...Casey and I sat down today laying out whats next...we have too much to do before Bobcaygeon...Sorry
Aww man. Bummer Next time dude!

post #19 of 102 Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

You can put me down as a maybe for this one. Im actually gonna be camping up there with the family Aug 24th and 25th if anyone is up for hitting the dunes next weekend also
post #20 of 102 Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bumping for more interest and confirmations!

post #21 of 102 Old 08-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Granite Guru

One thing I learned in August when I went is that the state has different flag requirements that some trails. I bought that two piece flag at Bundy and it had a mesh flag and like 7' tall. State requires a solid flag and 7'1" or something like that. Weekends there is usually somebody at the gate being anal. Went on a Tuesday morning and there was nobody there and nobody on the dunes.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Its almost done!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dan Jones
post #22 of 102 Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones944 View Post
One thing I learned in August when I went is that the state has different flag requirements that some trails. I bought that two piece flag at Bundy and it had a mesh flag and like 7' tall. State requires a solid flag and 7'1" or something like that. Weekends there is usually somebody at the gate being anal. Went on a Tuesday morning and there was nobody there and nobody on the dunes.
From the DNR (this is preceded with a "shall not":

(7) Operate a vehicle requiring seat belts without a warning flag mounted and extending over the front-most portion of the vehicle. Vehicles not requiring seat belts shall mount the warning flag on the rear of the vehicle. Vehicle operators shall comply with all of the following requirements:

(a) The warning flag shall be mounted on a staff that is securely bolted or welded to the vehicle. The warning flag shall maintain a minimum 10-foot height at standstill and a minimum 8-foot height under motion.

(b) The warning flag shall be mounted on the top-most end of the staff. The flag shall be rectangular, international orange in color, solid material, with a minimum length on the supporting side of five inches and a minimum length on the base side of ten inches.

They have a pipe at the entrance that is 10 feet high. Flag has to touch it.
post #23 of 102 Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Granite Guru

Is anyone going to be at the dunes on friday the 14th?

I got'a work this weekend and I'm thinking of taking Friday off and making that my long holiday weekend.
post #24 of 102 Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_rubicon View Post
Is anyone going to be at the dunes on friday the 14th?

I got'a work this weekend and I'm thinking of taking Friday off and making that my long holiday weekend.
This thread has been pretty quiet so not sure what the final tally is going to be. But even so, I think my family and I will be out there Friday night. Gonna track down a hotel today and will let you know when I book it. I will be leaving right after work so that'll be a travel day for me.

post #25 of 102 Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

OK so let's have a reboot. Anyone who was on the fence - will you be going? Post up!

I'm gonna keep this one pretty simple since this is more of a vacation-style trip rather than hardcore wheeling.

The main plan right now is to get to Silver Lake/Mears/Hart on Friday 9/14 and stay overnight. Breakfast and registration first thing Saturday morning. Once we're on the sands, we can play around in the sand until mid-day, then stop by the beach for lunch, play in the water a little, wheel some more until dinner time, grab some grub, then leave shortly after.

Accommodations are left to the individual. Make your own arragements for Friday night, but post up on where you'll be bunking so it's easier to coordinate.

You can choose to day-trip it as well. Plan on leaving the Detroit area early (5am ish) to make it in time for registrations.

I plan on buying my flag and recreation passport there, but if anyone has ideas on where to get this stuff before leaving town do chime in.

Bring along clothes, swimwear and a picnic lunch. Don't forget your compressor and tire deflators too! Tow straps could come in handy as well!

It should be a good time! Can't wait to dune bash with everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode