Headin West - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Headin West

I am planning a trip to Nevada in early spring to visit some friends that moved to Vegas. After some of the pics he sent with 2012 Rubi out in the desert I decided we have to drive out and visit him. We plan to do some local stuff around vegas and a day or 2 at the end of the trip in Moab.

My question is for those that have made the trip to Moab or anywhere out west. Are there any tips you can give me for route to take, places to stop. I will be traveling with the family which at the time of the trip will be a 6 year old and an 11 month old in a 07 Rubi Unlimted. Before leaving I plan to have my gears intalled, trans cooler in, Artec truss installed and full belly skids. Just looking for tips or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Rock God

Try not to spend all your money at the Bunny Ranch
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Rock God

When we went to Moab, we just drove and stopped when someone needed to stretch, pee, or escape a gas chamber. We saw a lot of cool things along the way, but only because they were where we stopped. Can't help too much.

Outside of Jeeping, my family takes a week or two to camp every year. On the longer trips we started stopping at National Historic Sites to break things up and learned about the Junior Ranger Programs that the National parks have. We aren't really tourist trap type of people. The Herbert Hoover site was much more interesting than I ever would have imagined. Most of our trips out west have been to Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc., so we were always more north (I-90) and don't have much to offer on the southern route (I-80) you'll take.

Just plan for a LONG drive....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Just plan for a LONG drive....
That's the part I'm worried about.

JKU Rubicon 3" Lift 37" Toyos on ATX Slabs, Teraflex Hinged Carrier, BFH Rear with hitch, JCR Dagger front bumper, Warn 9.5XP, JCR Skids, Artec Front Axle Armor, 5.38 Gears, 6.4 Hemi
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMann View Post
Artec truss installed
I just looked that up and I gotta say I'm kinda jealous.

That seems like a pretty damn good price for what it all comes with.

Do you plan on pulling a little trailer with you? It seems like that 3x3x3 storage area will fill up pretty damn quick with a couple weeks worth of kid stuff alone.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
I just looked that up and I gotta say I'm kinda jealous.

That seems like a pretty damn good price for what it all comes with.

Do you plan on pulling a little trailer with you? It seems like that 3x3x3 storage area will fill up pretty damn quick with a couple weeks worth of kid stuff alone.
Yes I having been holding out on sleeves or a truss for awhile and that one looks like a perfect option.

No plans to pull a trailer....yet anyways. I do plan on having my hitch mounted rack for the stroller and anything else I can get on it.

JKU Rubicon 3" Lift 37" Toyos on ATX Slabs, Teraflex Hinged Carrier, BFH Rear with hitch, JCR Dagger front bumper, Warn 9.5XP, JCR Skids, Artec Front Axle Armor, 5.38 Gears, 6.4 Hemi
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMann View Post
Yes I having been holding out on sleeves or a truss for awhile and that one looks like a perfect option.

No plans to pull a trailer....yet anyways. I do plan on having my hitch mounted rack for the stroller and anything else I can get on it.
I think that little trailer Travis has would be perfect for a road trip. hehe

I think storage room would be my biggest concern. Specially if you plan on doing some wheeling. If it was just a road trip I guess I wouldn't be overly concerned. But the last time we went to the mounds my tools, misc BS, tow straps, and a cooler, took up a good portion of my storage area. But then again I'm trying to be more prepared like Benny and less like Darko(remember the no tow points XJ wearing slippers to the Mounds? )

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #8 of 12 Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Like Cdash said, it's a looong and boring drive so maybe try and mix it up a little. Get off the interstate and jump on a highway north or south of the interstate. If you're planning I-80 out, maybe think about jumping off and cruising US-30, the old historic Lincon Highway. We've done that a few times on different trips through Iowa, Nebraska and Pennsylvania. It's a cool way to see a different part of America you wouldn't normally see plus a chance to sample local flavor in small towns.

If you stop off in Moab, be sure to take in the sites in addition to wheeling. If you visit national park sites be sure to get your kids involved with the junior ranger program. My son loves it, we make a point of incorpating that into every trip we take.

In the Vegas area check out are Valley of Fire State Park or go on the hunt for the "Lost town of St. Thomas" if you have time. Take the family out to Lake Mead for a day, that is pretty cool. We made our way out to this remote area called Crawdad Cove. That had some gorgeous views as a backdrop for swimming in the lake. The water was wrm like bath water.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Like Cdash said, it's a looong and boring drive so maybe try and mix it up a little. Get off the interstate and jump on a highway north or south of the interstate. If you're planning I-80 out, maybe think about jumping off and cruising US-30, the old historic Lincon Highway. We've done that a few times on different trips through Iowa, Nebraska and Pennsylvania. It's a cool way to see a different part of America you wouldn't normally see plus a chance to sample local flavor in small towns.

If you stop off in Moab, be sure to take in the sites in addition to wheeling. If you visit national park sites be sure to get your kids involved with the junior ranger program. My son loves it, we make a point of incorpating that into every trip we take.

In the Vegas area check out are Valley of Fire State Park or go on the hunt for the "Lost town of St. Thomas" if you have time. Take the family out to Lake Mead for a day, that is pretty cool. We made our way out to this remote area called Crawdad Cove. That had some gorgeous views as a backdrop for swimming in the lake. The water was wrm like bath water.
What he said... When in Moab, spend the time and hike around Arches NP. It's well worth it! You'll see some fantastical shit!

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
post #10 of 12 Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm at a computer now so I can more easily get to som pic's and stuff.

If you have the time to hit lake mead and want to see it from an area many don't see from, head out to Crawdad Cove.

The views in all directions are awesome.

If you head down up to Valley of Fire you can see stuff like this. I wish we would have spent more time there to hike around and see more of what the park had to offer.

If you want to go in search of the the lost town of St. Thomas it's not too far from the north exit of Valley of Fire. A short drive and a little bit of a hike from the parking area and you're walking through an area that was once covered by the waters of Lake Mead.

St. Thomas, NV

Hope you have an awesome trip.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 08-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you for all the great info. How long would you say it takes to get out there within a reasonable amount of time driving with kids. Any good suggestions of cities to stop at for hotels?

post #12 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I guess it really all depends on how you want to do your trip. You're likely looking at about 3, maybe 4 days of hard driving if you're planning to drive straight there. The variable will be how well the kids hold up. If your 6yo is anything like my son, he'll be easily entertained watching movies or playing with a handheld game. The 11mo, will likely be a challenge. Your wife may not like you too much she has to sit in back trying to sooth the baby because they're cranky.

I can probably tell you your first day to day and a half will be spent getting across IN, IL, IA and NE. Long, boring and far from scenic. The repetition of corn, soy and cows becomes monotonous. If luck is on your side, you'll be able to get to Omaha, if not hopefully Des Moines. Other than that be mindful of your gas as you're heading out of CO into UT. If memory serves me right gas stations were few along 70.

If you have the time on the way out, maybe fit in a stop off to Bryce or Zion Canyon in Southwestern UT.

What else can I tell you...

As far as places to stop at or see, unfortunately in the trips we've made out there, we've been road warriors just trying to make it to our destination stopping primarily for gas, rest room or to eat. This year we learned the "joys" of traveling with an infant. Let me just say, may the force be with you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode