RUBI - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

RUBI

Highly Likely i will be ordering a new 13 Rubi. Still debating 2dr vs 4dr. Lets hear it from the Real Jeep Users, not the advertisers.

TJ
2010 Mango Tango 2 dr Sport for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Granite Guru

I had a 09 2 door and now have a 12 4 door. I always thought I would be giving something up when it came to offroad ability with a 4 door. However, this isnt the case. More room, better ride, and no more taking out the rear seat just to go grocery shopping. It cost more and is heavier but worth it in the long run to get a 4 door.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Its almost done!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dan Jones
post #3 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

The extra room is really nice when I go packing up for camping trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

I drove a 2 and 4 before I purchased my JK - no doubt the 4-door rides better and the extra room inside very nice. Jeep made a smart move offering a Wrangler for folks with kids. However, IMO the 4-door Jeep and 4-door Porsche fall into the category - not the original. Besides, you know what else has a lot of room inside - a minivan - hahaha.

The decision maker for me was the look - I just don't think the 4-doors look good with the top and doors off. The 4-door does not look bad after about 10k in upgrades, but I still like the 2-door look much better. Besides, for the price difference, you can do a lot of upgrades to a 2-door and still be under the 4-door price.

I will drive a 2-door as long as my lifestyle permits. It looks like a Jeep, rides like Jeep, drives like Jeep - because it is a Jeep. If I have kids at some point, I will take a 4-door over a minivan though.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Granite Guru

I bought a 2 door in 2009. I found that whenever we went on vacation we took my wife's Freestyle/Taurus X, which was fine for getting there but made it hard to put the top down once we arrived. Traded it for a 4 door in 2011 and now it goes on all of the vacations (including a trip to Silver Lake Sand Dunes last year). Mine were an X and a Sport and they were not modified by much but I am happy with the 4 door.

I do agree the 2 door looks more classic but that wasn't doing me much good while it was sitting at home.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsyn View Post
Highly Likely i will be ordering a new 13 Rubi. Still debating 2dr vs 4dr. Lets hear it from the Real Jeep Users, not the advertisers.

TJ
2010 Mango Tango 2 dr Sport for now.
I got a 4-door cuz I have 2 younger kids (7 & 9 now) and the back of a two door wasn't going to cut it. I have never been disappointed that I didn't get a 2 door. Seems like I hear exponentially more 2 door owners wishing they got 4 doors than I do hearing 4 doors that wished they had 2 doors. I do get high centered a bit more than the 2 door folks, other than that, can't think of a down side.

In packing for a trip I am taking this weekend, I am amazed at how quickly my 4 door fills up, and only I am going. Tent, chair, etc, etc.

Ultimately it is up to you, you have to live with your decision.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Only a hater would compare a 4dr to a Porshe or minivan.

Heck, the bottom line is, the ONLY thing the 4dr has in common with a minivan is the engine and that's in the 2dr, too... so it must be a minivan as well.

I'd put my 4dr up against most 2dr JKs that I've seen. Rule out a stretch and I'm not sure there's one I wouldn't put it up against. OK, now, I know someone is gonna prove me wrong, but that's just how I feel.

I love my 4dr. Even if I were single, the 4dr would still be my first choice. It's true, it takes some serious upgrades to make it highly capable due to the wheelbase, but IMO the 2dr NEEDS a stretch (= big money) to make it highly capable, too.

To each his own. Buy it. Build it. Wheel it. That's all that matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

4 door.
Me, my wife and 3 big dogs and I can still carry a bunch of stuff.
Extra seats are great for bringing along some friends on whatever excursion. I hate climbing out of the back seat of any 2 door.
I think 2 doors are awesome all day long and there isn't anything I'd like more than a toy like CO4LO's 108" stretch stomper but I really like the way a 4 door looks modified.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Only a hater would compare a 4dr to a Porshe or minivan.

Heck, the bottom line is, the ONLY thing the 4dr has in common with a minivan is the engine and that's in the 2dr, too... so it must be a minivan as well.
hahaha - jeeperjkj - no hater here - just my 2-cents. I think the 4-door is much more usable as a daily driver and 99% of people would never notice any difference off-road (if they every go off the pavement). However, for me, from a purest standpoint, the 4-door is a variation - hence my Porsche comparison.
It is like when people post about a water leak and everyone says, "that is part of owning a Jeep, part of the character". The "hassles" of a 2-door are part of a Jeep experience. The 4-door just changes the experience.
If the Jeep was my only vehicle or I had human cargo, I would compromise and get a 4-door.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkxrock View Post
hahaha - jeeperjkj - no hater here - just my 2-cents. I think the 4-door is much more usable as a daily driver and 99% of people would never notice any difference off-road (if they every go off the pavement). However, for me, from a purest standpoint, the 4-door is a variation - hence my Porsche comparison.
It is like when people post about a water leak and everyone says, "that is part of owning a Jeep, part of the character". The "hassles" of a 2-door are part of a Jeep experience. The 4-door just changes the experience.
If the Jeep was my only vehicle or I had human cargo, I would compromise and get a 4-door.
If the hassles are part of the experience then you better get a CJ.

Or how about one of these?

Last edited by JeepDad; 08-08-2012 at 04:33 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I bought a 2dr knowing it would suck to have kids and try to haul them around in it, knowing I would have less space, etc, etc...I love the look of a modified 2dr Wrangler.

The 4drs are cool as well, I rarely wish I had a 4dr JK, but it has happened. The thought of actually selling my 2dr JK for a 4dr JK has never crossed my mind. I have considered selling it for something more versatile like a 4dr pickup, but I don't really want a 4dr JK. I've ridden in the back of one and was far from impressed with the actual room to sit, I'm only 5'11 and 140lbs soaking wet and wasn't comfortable. Now the 2dr JK backseat is completely unusable, people can get back there...but it's a fucking joke..seriously.

I don't plan, nor do I like to take long trips in my JK, it's not due to a lack of space or ride quality..it's just not a very enjoyable vehicle to drive over distance, it's loud, underpowered, gets shitty mileage, etc..so "more room so I can go on trips" wouldn't be a benefit to me. I'll take a plain jane SUV or full size pickup for trips any day.

Just my opinion, fwiw. However if someone came up to me with a mirror image of my JK in the 4door flavor and wanted to trade...I'd definitely consider it. My JK will get relieved of daily driver duties at some point and become a toy, (another one), which at that point I will have absolutely zero regrets about the 2dr.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 08-08-2012 at 05:17 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I vote 4 door... I had an 08 2 door and Loved it... but now after owning a 4 door I can't imagine life without it...
post #13 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 AM
JKO Addict!

2dr all day long.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #14 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I can't believe I am going to type this...

-- cracking knuckles --

Get the four door. Unless you like trailers, trail racks, or overhead safari racks you will be kicking yourself the first time you decide to take yourself and three friends someplace and then try to figure out where to put the cooler full of beer. I still have twinges every time I pass the Jeep dealership and see a four door in a color I like sitting there. It's painful owning a two door at times. Plus, they do well on steep climbs and off camber situations where a two door would have you puckered. They add challenge on tight and twisty trails though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Granite Guru

^^ what he said ^^

09 2 DR Rubicon
my JK is my addiction
post #16 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I can't believe I am going to type this...

-- cracking knuckles --

Get the four door. Unless you like trailers, trail racks, or overhead safari racks you will be kicking yourself the first time you decide to take yourself and three friends someplace and then try to figure out where to put the cooler full of beer. I still have twinges every time I pass the Jeep dealership and see a four door in a color I like sitting there. It's painful owning a two door at times. Plus, they do well on steep climbs and off camber situations where a two door would have you puckered. They add challenge on tight and twisty trails though.
Friends? I have a 2dr coupe muscle car and a 2dr JK.. I don't need no stinking friends.

Most of my friends are Jeep guys anyway, we hardly go anywhere without an entire herd of Jeeps going in an eco-friendly manner.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 AM
It never ends...

I have 3 four door (2 2008s, 2012) and 1 two dr JK (2012). all rubi's.

Depends on what you will do with it. My '12 JK with vvt 6 sp iOS way snappier to drive than the '12 JKU rubi. As far as wheeling goes, they both do well on moderate trail to difficult trails. Obviously JKU space is nice. With a bigger vehicle however come extra weight. With extra weight, if you wheel hard, the expect more breakage with JKU (if you put a lift, big tires, etc).

Both my '08 JKU's are heavily modified. Both do well on most all difficult/extreme trails, especially trails with big ledges. The JK with thier shorter wheelbase do really well on boulders and such. One of my buddies has a TnT Built 2dr on 40's. It is amazing in what it can do.

If you want primarily a DD that can wheel well and carry people then a JKU rubi. If you don't need to carry people the a 2dr. Both the 2012's are really nice vehicles.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #18 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Skype™ to mscedro2

It really all depends on what your plans would be for family and what you want to do with your rig.

My 3 kids and I...4 Door was the only way to go. It's probably what you hear from a typical family with a JKU, but I had a YJ (Sahara with half doors and soft top) long enough that my two eldest kids were driven in it as toddlers. Not practical at all for us (ie...no room in the rear for 2 toddler seats, no grocery space, no AC, and not enough heat in the rear). Never had a chance to offroad the YJ wrangler with my 2 eldest kids. Loved my YJ, but needless to say I sold it in 2000, and replaced it with a....wait for it...wait for it...a mini-van.

As 2007 came and went with Jeep producing JKU's...I knew I'd like to have a Wrangler again. June 2008...Adopted a JKU Rubicon. Kids and I have a great time with her...Below are a few poser shots.

Camping @Jellstone Mears

Test Hill @Silver Lake Dunes

End of Hells Revenge Trail with my family friends...

In the end...Both 2 and 4 door rigs are great...Each has its merits (noted in other posts) which fits the individual need.

The JKU we have meets our family's need nicely

I think I've stopped the bleeding caused by ----> J.E.E.P. A
it doesn't work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode