JKU and JK Towing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JKU and JK Towing

Have you guys ever pulled anything with your JK's? I am looking at buying a pop up camper and need some input because I have not seen a lot of JKU pulling anything. I just was wondering what you guys think or your thoughts were on towing with the JKU or JK

JKU Rubicon rollin on a Rock Krawler X-factor lift, Full custom 8 point cage tied into frame, Artec full armor truss kit, AEV Beadlocks with 37" KM2's, 5.38 gearing, Smuggler rear bumper, Bushwacker flat fender flairs, Rock sliders and heated Katzkin leather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

BigChris has a popup camper that went on it's maiden voyage a few weeks ago. IIRC, it went fine with 33's and 3.73's on an auto. I've pulled 2800 lbs on my utility trailer 300 miles on same setup before my 37's. It pulled like a champ. It did not like doing 75mph, but 60mph was quite alright.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Rock God

i've been pulling a 10ft pop-up for the past 3 years with no problems on the stock rubi set up.....i recently upgraded to a 2.5" lift and 35's and have only pulled the trailer once to get it out of storage and it seemed fine...i am sure with it fully loaded with wood, bikes etc i will feel the strain a little. I have a manual Rubi so it is tolerable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sweet, I figured it would be fine but I wanted some input. I am looking at 12' pop up's with A/C and I bet they are around 2200-2500lbs

JKU Rubicon rollin on a Rock Krawler X-factor lift, Full custom 8 point cage tied into frame, Artec full armor truss kit, AEV Beadlocks with 37" KM2's, 5.38 gearing, Smuggler rear bumper, Bushwacker flat fender flairs, Rock sliders and heated Katzkin leather

post #5 of 19 Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Hi Chris.

I would pay as much attention to tongue weight as I would total trailer weight.

I loaded the Jeep down with a full bed + a hitch mounted carrier box for Silver Lake this weekend.

It was squatted to the air bumps and rode smooth as butter............

Once I was on the highway it was total sketch-fest.

I have driven, hauled, towed all kinds of things in the past. This was by far my worst experience.

Taking the weight off the front axle made for white knuckles and lane drifting for 240 miles

My setup = 3" Tera springs, 37's @ 30 psi, F/R Anti-Rocks, ACE rear bumper and tire carrier

[IMG][/IMG]

Build Thread:

ACE Engineering
586-806-6641
[B]
post #6 of 19 Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I pulled a Uhaul from CO to AL to MI, the largest enclosed trailer one, loaded up. It did great. Stopping distance was affected. I think the trailer was loaded a little over the tow rating on the way from AL to MI. Not on purpose, just didnt take into account the stuff we would buy in AL.

I drove carefully, 60-65 MPGs, 33s and 3.73s CO to AL, then 4.88s AL to MI.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaylefarmer View Post
Hi Chris.

I would pay as much attention to tongue weight as I would total trailer weight.

I loaded the Jeep down with a full bed + a hitch mounted carrier box for Silver Lake this weekend.

It was squatted to the air bumps and rode smooth as butter............

Once I was on the highway it was total sketch-fest.

I have driven, hauled, towed all kinds of things in the past. This was by far my worst experience.

Taking the weight off the front axle made for white knuckles and lane drifting for 240 miles

My setup = 3" Tera springs, 37's @ 30 psi, F/R Anti-Rocks, ACE rear bumper and tire carrier

[IMG][/IMG]
If you had the spare that you loaned me on the back it would have been fine (joke) Hmmmm

I am going to borrow a buddy's pop up this week and pull it around to see what it is like before I spend money. I can pull what ever I buy with my 2500HD but I want the option of using the Jeep every once in awhile.

EMG, I cant drive careful thats just not possible

post #8 of 19 Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Granite Guru

Arlin's got me in on this one, our camper is a14' starcraft loaded it well be around 3000lbs, mines an auto so I put a trans cooler on it and we going with a superchip next run up to near Toronto in a couple of weeks, it also dropped down to 14mpg that hurt a bit but the Jeep pulled no problem. I'll get some pictures of the set up when I get up to Collingwood.

that should buff out

Last edited by BIGCHRIS; 05-31-2012 at 05:05 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The Jeep pulls good, I bought this so its going to pulling this pop up to silver lake in two weeks

post #10 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My pop up is 1500lbs and it pull well in general. Long steep hills kick my ass and I've had to go as slow as 40mph in order to not stay at 5k rpm. I have 5.38's, 37's, Teraflex brakes, and a brake controller.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #11 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
My pop up is 1500lbs and it pull well in general. Long steep hills kick my ass and I've had to go as slow as 40mph in order to not stay at 5k rpm. I have 5.38's, 37's, Teraflex brakes, and a brake controller.
I am installing a brake controller tomorrow just to be safe. The trailer weighs 2K. 5K RPM, wow nothing like a vison of the old castrol oil comercial

post #12 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTLER View Post
I am installing a brake controller tomorrow just to be safe. The trailer weighs 2K. 5K RPM, wow nothing like a vison of the old castrol oil comercial
Yea it kept bleeping up and I would have to immediately let off the gas so it would shift back up. I only run into this problem going east on the I8, the hills there are very steep for several miles. I would say with my set up 2k would be the max I would feel comfortable towing, not for stability issues but lack of power.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #13 of 19 Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Granite Guru

I think the tongue weight gets Jeep owners in trouble more than the overall weight. I've seen a 2-door JK pull a cabin cruiser out of the water but that doesn't mean they planned to tow it on the highway. Even an Unltd is a rather short wheelbase compared to something like an extended cab pickup truck so the tongue weight can exert more leverage to take the weight off the front wheels and make the steering feel flighty. Also, unless you install an aftermarket suspension that specifically claims to increase the load rating, stock suspension or a lift kit usually rate at only a half ton which is passengers, cargo and towing tongue weight. Put a couple of bodies and some luggage in the cabin and pretty soon there's no headroom for the trailer weight at all.

As far as I can tell, the only thing significantly different on a JK with a factory towing package is the transmission cooler and given that Jeep's had a TSB on transmission overheats I would say a transmission cooler is mandatory if you're planning to tow anything.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Rock God

[QUOTE=BUTLER;1191655]The Jeep pulls good, I bought this so its going to pulling this pop up to silver lake in two weeks

Looks good
post #15 of 19 Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Almost to silver lake pulling at 65 MPH getting 14.1 MPG according to the dash. Pulls good and core and jeep are packed full. Not a good as my truck for ride but still impressed

post #16 of 19 Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

I don't know how you are going to get bigger tires on that thing.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Rock God

I pulled my 16ft run-a-bout boat with my JKU for a couple years on stock springs and then on mods. Auto tranny did fine as long as I kept OD off. Note: I never drove too far with boat, lake is 5 miles from home.

I, 3 times pulled my mid frame tractor to hunting camp (1 hr) away to brush hog. That was always fun, pulling maybe 5,500lbs. It handled it, but I was pushing limits.

08 JKU Detonator Yellow on 37's, ProRocked and Rock Jocked

OIIIIIIIO
post #18 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Wheeler

Livin Lite Quicksilver 10.0 pop-up, less than 1100#s dry pulls easy

Lund 16' with a 40H Mariner + stuff in the boat, I am guessing the whole load around 2k+ #s
post #19 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Works fine for me. 35s. 3.73 1800lbs. Auto trans cooler.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 07-31-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode