TRJC 4x4 Safari, Pittsfield, IL - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

TRJC 4x4 Safari, Pittsfield, IL

Just checking to see if anyone is attending this event. I'm in a white/black 4 door with a Safari Straps "BANNED" bag hanging out back.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Wheeler

I'll be there with my orange Rubi and my wife.

See you there.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'll be looking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Rock God

I wanted to go, but had just started a new job that included Saturdays. Gotta miss this one. But it looked like a blast!

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I can't provide much of a report. I busted a front axle 1 hour into the first day. Managed to limp through the first part of Smasher and I was done. Three wheel drive does not get it done on the muddy hills that made up these trails.
Second day was held in the rain. We went to Hannibal in our Cherokee. Saw a few others over there. Maybe someone can chime in with more info.
The event is well organized and guides are very good. They made sure I was able to get out. We are used to rocks, shelves, traction. This was definitely different!

post #6 of 13 Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Wheeler

Good meeting you and you are in good company, but my broken parts weren't discovered until later. Funny that we ended up running the same trail.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You broke the cheap stuff! I broke the short side inner, twisted the long side inner, trashed the ARB locker, and took out the front ring and pinion gear. The axles are covered by warranty but none of the collateral damage. The U joints were also shot but they had gone dry. Stock Spicer U joint, 2 years old, no grease ports and I did not tear them down. My outers are good! I was kind of hoping the warranty would not kick in. In which case I was going to upgrade to 30 spline RCV axles and Yukon Zip locker. But I'll be staying with the 27 spline Alloy/Ten Factory alloy axles until next time.

I hate mud. Maybe it will be dry next year.

You slid down that long hill pretty good. Almost looked controlled. Did the young woman who rolled her Jeep make it through the day? I'm sorry I did not recognize you as machine154. For some reason I thought you had a four door. I thought you were the guy with new orange four door and spotless interior who showed up with top and doors removed. I'm pretty sure he was not spotless at the end of the day.

Last edited by JKDoc; 05-17-2011 at 07:45 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Wheeler

Holy crap, dude - you don't do anything halfway! I was thinking of trying the warranty route, but I don't think it is worth the hassle and I don't want to be red flagged for something like this. It will be my first time changing an axle and u-joint, but I am up for the challenge.

Good luck with your repairs. Hope all goes well.

Oh, yes - the girl in the orange jeep did make it through the day. She did have some other exciting moments though, albeit less so.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I would try the warranty route. My dealership has been very friendly to me. Mopar replaced my clutch disc (had the chirping problem) far out of warranty, no questions asked. I have never had a problem due to my mods. I am considered a good customer and I am sure that helps but you have nothing to lose for reporting a reasonable defect. You were not doing anything with your Jeep that has not been shown in Jeep TV ads. They won't charge you to look at it. If they say no, which I doubt, you are not out anything.

If you do it yourself, there is good info on Pirate in the Billa Vista tech articles.

Are you going to the Recovery Course on June 4. I plan on going if I am back together by then.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine154 View Post
I was thinking of trying the warranty route, but I don't think it is worth the hassle and I don't want to be red flagged for something like this.
I'd say roll the dice and see if they'll warranty it. Just don't go to Dupage DCJ to have the work done. If you're planning on upgrading to the hardware in the process, then yeah, do the work yourself. If you're going with standard replacement parts I don't see any harm in at least trying the warranty route.

I understand the concerns about the warranty claim, and getting your Jeep flagged, The only person that I've ever heard of having their Jeep "red flagged" is Eddie over on JK-F and that may or may not have been warranted.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Wheeler

Not planning the recovery course. My u joint is on the way, stub shaft is backordered from quadratec.

Guns protect and defend
Let the Constitution be your guide
post #12 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
The only person that I've ever heard of having their Jeep "red flagged" is Eddie over on JK-F and that may or may not have been warranted.
You made my day! That is great! Hah!

post #13 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I may not get to the Recovery Course either. Parts will arrive next week but don't know how soon repairs will be completed. Recovery course is also on Good Wife's birthday. I think good sense will overcome the desire to winch.

Added a PSC Hydro Assist Kit (SK260) to the pile of parts. I could not steer with the lockers engaged. That should be corrected now as well as giving me a full 12.5 K pull with my Mile Marker winch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode