Information on Keweenaw Peninsula - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Information on Keweenaw Peninsula

Does anyone have any info on the Trail out of Copper Harbor to the tip of the Peninsula back to US 41?

Thanks any info would be great.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

www.militaryjeepers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

What sort of info are you looking for? It's all pretty easy trails. A stock 4x4 could traverse all of it. Hell, a car could traverse most of it. Pretty much all the trails in the UP are packed, rocky dirty roads.

Follow the trail all the way out to High Rock for a great camping spot on the far end of the pennisula looking out over Lake Superior.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #3 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
What sort of info are you looking for? It's all pretty easy trails. A stock 4x4 could traverse all of it. Hell, a car could traverse most of it. Pretty much all the trails in the UP are packed, rocky dirty roads.

Follow the trail all the way out to High Rock for a great camping spot on the far end of the pennisula looking out over Lake Superior.
I am trying to fine a map of this trail and any suggestions of trails in the UP to travel down. A couple of friends of mine were telling me of a trail that led back to an old Air Force/Army Radar or SAM site? Any suggestions for trails on Drummond Island?

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Granite Guru

red, pick up a copy of Delormes Gazetteer for MI. It is pretty accurate as to whats where anywhere in the UP.

oz is right on about getting out the tip of the Keweenaw. Its about 15 miles, iirc, from where you get off pavement till the woods open up at the camping spot. We had about 30 rigs out there for the UP Overland trip over the last couple years.

You can pick up a trail map for Drummond in town. Get off the ferry and drive till you hit a 4way stop. There is a market, restaurant on your right. On your left is the visitor center. You can purchase a map there. I believe you will need an ORV sticker, but I could be wrong. I don't pay much attention to where I need a sticker since I always have one anyway.

Not sure on the old SAM site... But lots of other things to do in the Keweenaw... You have to hit Gay beach and make sure you get your picture at Gay bar. Brockway Mountain, Adventure mine just west of Baraga, Mt Avron, Mouth of the Two Hearted river, Mouth of the Huron.. Not all of these are in the peninsula, but you'll pass them on the way to drummond. Hug the north side of the UP and you wont be disappointed.

member AO128
post #5 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

The site you're referring to is easy enough to find, but I haven't been there. To my knowledge, it's in the Gazetteer. I always have one with me, and it's damn accurate. It's by far the best comprehensive map of trails for Michigan.

I think I have some gps tracks that could help you, but then again, the Gazetteer will tell you the same info. If the SAM site isn't in the Gazetteer, a quick Google search will surely find it as it's a fairly common site to see.

As for Drummond Island, it's a great place and was even voted one of BFGs best trails last year. However, it's also a long drive to get there from where you're planning on going. The ORV sticker is a possibility depending on where you go. ORV stickers are needed on ORV Routes and scramble areas only. Most ORV routes are also designated forest roads, but some are not. Drummond Island is a good example of this. Some of it is forest roads, but other parts (the 4x4 challenge areas specifically) are Route only and a sticker is needed. Basically, if you go to Drummond, get a sticker. The rest of the UP trails that we've discussed are forest roads and don't require one. They only require your vehicle to be licensed and insured. If you choose to get one, they can be purchased at any sporting goods area for $16.25.

Back to the area you're asking about, I'd personally choose to run more of the Porcupine mountains and up into the Kewanaw. There is enough exploring to do and waterfalls and such to see that you'll easily be busy for weeks if you wanted.

post #6 of 14 Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the information. We are coming over to the Sand Dunes Park in Late August, with a club from the Twin Cities, Mn. and looking to make a trip of it. My wife and I have been up to the UP a couple of times (around Turkey Day each time). We were alone and weather not being real good for Trail exploring. I pulled a few DNR OHV trail maps as well. I do have the DeLorme Gazetter.

Any and all info would be welcome.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #7 of 14 Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Granite Guru

red, check out http://www.upoverland.org/forum/index.php

TJDIV runs that site, lives in Marquette and the site is full of members that know the UP very well. There is a password protected forum that has GPS tracklogs and routes, if you PM TJDIV to get the password, tell him opie (Kris Casey) sent you.

member AO128
post #8 of 14 Old 04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
JKO Addict!

If you are coming to Silver Lake, you will need an ORV sticker. Also, seeing as you will be coming east anyway, Drummond isn't far out of your way. Roughly an hour east of the bridge and worth hitting.

post #9 of 14 Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

This is one of the places to hit in mind was Drummond Island! Of course we will need to survive the Sand Dunes first. Go up to Drummond Island, Take some of lesser travelled [going by the charcoal kilns] routes towards Copper Harbor, than maybe a few other trails. I did sign up for the UP Overland forum website, hopefully find more good info from them. I am looking at the UP Overland travels that they do annually. May try to join one of these groups tours sometime in the future.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #10 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
This is one of the places to hit in mind was Drummond Island! Of course we will need to survive the Sand Dunes first. Go up to Drummond Island, Take some of lesser travelled [going by the charcoal kilns] routes towards Copper Harbor, than maybe a few other trails. I did sign up for the UP Overland forum website, hopefully find more good info from them. I am looking at the UP Overland travels that they do annually. May try to join one of these groups tours sometime in the future.
They do have a trip planned for this year, but its full already. You can get on the alternate list, but generally the main list doesnt thin much.

Not much difficulty at Silver Lake. Best piece of advice is the water holes along the lake are deeper than they look. Most of them anyway.

member AO128
post #11 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Ok keep the JK out of the water holes at Silver Lake. I was extremely lucky in Gilbert on my first trip. It was a very dumb thing to do, but it was fun.
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #12 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Granite Guru

Is that your jeep? The friend of mine in the pictures I posted is looking to get a rack set-up much like whats pictured in yours. Coincidentally, to carry some type of watercraft.

member AO128
post #13 of 14 Old 04-24-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well that is what the Jeep looked like a couple of years ago. Looks a little different now.
It is called a Congo Cage by Kargo Master [my wife ordered it from Quadratec]. It does rattle when on the Jeep, but it works.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #14 of 14 Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info. I think I remember hearing that manufacturer mentioned...

member AO128
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode