Jan. 9th. Wheeling in West Branch. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Jan. 9th. Wheeling in West Branch.

Planning on going out on Sunday to do some wheeling. Meet for breakfast 9 am. Wheeling at 10. Come join!

Shoot me a pm if you want to come along.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Meet at 9am for breakfast at the Lumberjack. Leaving for wheeling at 10. Be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #3 of 40 Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

I am interested in going and will let you know later if I can. Not sure what the wife and work has for me fully yet.

Anyone know how much snow is up that way still? I was up all the way to Tawas last weekend and there was basically no snow there and south, so curious what snow is still around.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Not much snow. Barely a dusting really. Nothing worth mentioning in the forecast either.

post #5 of 40 Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Can't make this one, I am still trying to get the house put together. Moving/Christmas/starting new job, has put me behind. I will get out, hopefully by feb...

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #6 of 40 Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Can't make this one, I am still trying to get the house put together. Moving/Christmas/starting new job, has put me behind. I will get out, hopefully by feb...
Screw the house. It'll be there when you get home.

post #7 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Granite Guru

I might be able to make this...Just bring basics? Tow strap, tools etc.? And I do have a CB. I have not gone since April in Alpena.

I have tow hooks and all that but mine is still "stock" other than my bumpers, so if you guys are going to enjoy all the wild stuff I will stay out of this one cuz I don't want take away from what you guys really want to do.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08detyelJP View Post
I might be able to make this...Just bring basics? Tow strap, tools etc.? And I do have a CB. I have not gone since April in Alpena.

I have tow hooks and all that but mine is still "stock" other than my bumpers, so if you guys are going to enjoy all the wild stuff I will stay out of this one cuz I don't want take away from what you guys really want to do.
I am in the same boat. I have a snatch strap, factory tow hooks and mud tires.
post #9 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Wheeler

I'm hoping to be there. I'm also hoping they are getting some snow like we are here in Grand Rapids.

I've got a stock 07 JKU Rubi with 33" BFG KM2's and a CB. I've got a receiver mounted winch but i can't put it into the back because it runs into the spare. I've got the day off tomorrow and am hoping to move the spare up so that I can at least plug the winch in the back if its needed. I'm still looking for front bumper options. I've only had this jeep since Nov. I'm also hoping to get my new benchmark evap skid installed tomorrow and do a few other things. I've got a family Christmas party Saturday so I have to get it done tonight/tomorrow to go on Sunday.

I don't know what Oz has planned but I would say a front and rear tow point is a requirement for your safety and for the safety of those helping you if you get stuck. It's also nice when you have your own strap so that if it's going to get wet or dirty it goes back in your jeep.
post #10 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
I don't know what Oz has planned but I would say a front and rear tow point is a requirement for your safety and for the safety of those helping you if you get stuck. It's also nice when you have your own strap so that if it's going to get wet or dirty it goes back in your jeep.
I have all that, but like I said, mine being stock I do not want to screw up any plans for someone else that you would need a modded rig to get through; that's all.
post #11 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Stock is fine. We'll just be running state trails so pretty easy stuff overall. Also, most of the snow is gone. If we have 3 inches, we'll be lucky.

As for equipment, two points front and rear, ORV sticker, and a willingness to do some wheeling.

Knock on wood, but we shouldn't be getting into anything that will likely cause a stuck. If we do, there will be winches and straps and everything else needed already there.

This weekend will be very newbie friendly!

post #12 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

I should be all good to go on the 9th so count me in unless something important comes up at the last minute. I will probably be up that way just before 10 and will stop and eat something on the way up. I do have a winch and some recovery gear to help out if needed.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #13 of 40 Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I SHOULD have my new winch installed by Sunday. lol My old one took a crapper so I'm supposed to pick up the new Warn tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have time to install it.

Even without, I don't see much of a reason to use them. I've wheeled all these trails for years with no issues. Unless deep snow is involved, which it won't be, then nobody should be getting stuck.

However, Sunday will certainly be a day to air down. Frozen ground and street tire pressure doesn't go well together unless you really like a rough ride.

post #14 of 40 Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Granite Guru

I have to do my brakes and diffs tomorrow and unless I run into any crazy issues I will be at the Lumberjack by 10 at the latest.

I'll PM you my number.

Mike
post #15 of 40 Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok, I picked up my winch today and it should be mounted tonight after work!

Sometime tomorrow, I'll PM everyone who has stated they will come my number.

As stated already, 9 am is breakfast at LumberJack. It's right behind the Tanger Outlet mall off exit 212. It's attached the the shell station. The plan is to be leaving Lumberjack at 10 to head out wheeling.

ORV sticker will be required as we will be running some ORV Route and will also be hitting the motorsport area. If you don't have one, you can pick them up anywhere hunting and fishing licenses are sold. Worst case scenerio, Walmart has them and will be right up the road from LumberJack.

If you plan on coming and you don't make breakfast, please call me and let me know so we do not leave without anyone!

I don't really know how many miles we will travel or how long exactly we will be out, but I guessing we can be back on the road to head home by 5ish. That is just a guess though! If everyone is doing good, and wants to keep going, we can as there are plenty of trails. If somebody wants or needs to hit the road earlier, that's fine as well. We will never be all that far from roads so I can point you in the right direction.

Snow conditions aren't looking good. Forecast is saying maybe another inch or two by Sunday. I'm thinking if we have 4 inches, we'll be lucky. Sunday is looking to be mid 20s and sunny!

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by oz97tj; 01-08-2011 at 12:08 AM.
post #16 of 40 Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

Isn't the Lumberjack off of Cook Rd Exit 212 instead of exit 215. I remember a big lumberjack sitting out front off of Cook Rd unless I am thinking about something different. Just curious. I won't make breakfast, but will be up that way 9:30ish or so.

post #17 of 40 Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Granite Guru

Not from the area, but I follow these threads from time to time. Spent the first 16 years of my life just up the road from West Branch. Used to do all of our major shopping there.

Seems weird how there used to be tons of snow in the area this time of year, but now not as much (I remember my road getting blocked by 20 foot drifts).

Have fun on your trip and post some photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 40 Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL08JK View Post
Isn't the Lumberjack off of Cook Rd Exit 212 instead of exit 215. I remember a big lumberjack sitting out front off of Cook Rd unless I am thinking about something different. Just curious. I won't make breakfast, but will be up that way 9:30ish or so.
You are right! I was typing and talking to someone at the time and completely didn't even think about it. haha. I corrected the post. Thanks for calling me a dumby! For those not familiar, get off at the mall exit. Couldn't be any easier than that.

Turn towards the mall off the highway (Exit 212). The first light, which is literally a couple hundred yards off the exit if coming from the south, is where the Shell gas station / Lumbjack / hotel is. If you still have trouble, look for Paul Bunyan. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbrew View Post
Not from the area, but I follow these threads from time to time. Spent the first 16 years of my life just up the road from West Branch. Used to do all of our major shopping there.

Seems weird how there used to be tons of snow in the area this time of year, but now not as much (I remember my road getting blocked by 20 foot drifts).

Have fun on your trip and post some photos.
I grew up in the area. The weather fluctuates. I do remember in the early 90s going snowmobiling almost every night after work (highschool during day, farming at night) with buddies. I remember always having loads of snow. We did have quite a few years without a bunch of snow though that really sucked and drove me away from snowmobiling. The last couple years though have actually been pretty good for snow. This year so far hasn't been impressive. At least not for the east side of the state. The west coast has gotten hit twice now with a couple good storms.

post #19 of 40 Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Granite Guru

Are we going to plan for lunch on the trail or are we able to stop somwhere to get sandwiches?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #20 of 40 Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Are we going to plan for lunch on the trail or are we able to stop somwhere to get sandwiches?
Honestly, I don't really have a plan for this. There is a Subway right there attached to the LumberJack so we can get food for the trail, or we can stop in St. Helen or Clear Lake. I don't have an exact route planned so I have no problem veering away to get food if need be.

Best option, plan for eating on the trail. My plan was to get some snacks and a sub from Subway and then go from there. If people want to stop for hot food, that could work too.

Ultimately, we will all chat in the parking lot in the morning before we leave to make sure everyone is on the same page.

post #21 of 40 Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Granite Guru

A warm sandwich from a mini mart deli is better than a cold sub out of the cooler. Hot cocoa - mmmmmm.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
post #22 of 40 Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
A warm sandwich from a mini mart deli is better than a cold sub out of the cooler. Hot cocoa - mmmmmm.
Wuss. lol

Personally, I'd eat on the trail and keep exploring. But then again, that's just me. I know lots of others like a warm meal and a nice cushy chair to sit on while eating it. That's why I didn't really plan anything. I figure with the group we'll have, there is no reason why we can't all make a decision together.

Hell,if people really wanted to, Clear Lake bar has great pizza...

post #23 of 40 Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

Well the sandwich was toasted but cold, the benches were far from cushy and some crazy trail leader lead us into the clutches of doom. I barely managed to keep all my body parts attached to the Jeep but 08detyelJP wasn't as lucky.

Due to his quick reactions, he managed to avoid hitting several Jeeps parked below him when the Ice Hill Demon attacked and sent his JK careening downhill backwards with no hope of stopping. He finally came to rest against a couple trees with one wedged between the side step and the front fender. A little bit of winching and he was free of the tree with a broken mirror as a trophy.

Good times were had by all.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
post #24 of 40 Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Granite Guru

I would have stayed up there if I did not have to work tomorrow.

Thanks everyone I had a blast!
post #25 of 40 Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Granite Guru

Ok, so the guys at work here are having a field day with me. Where is the video to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode