Chicago to Moab and back. ?. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Chicago to Moab and back. ?.

So what's it coast to dive out there, eat, sleep, and wheel? Eat includes beer drinking. Estimated $540 for gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Wheeler

I've never been but I would think a lot depends on how much beer you drink. If you figure $100 a day, I would think that would cover a cheap hotel and food. You could probably get by on half that if you brought a cooler, made your own food and camped.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

This is the itemization what we spent on a trip out there in '09. Mind you that was a week in Moab in a Townhouse we rented (cheaper overall than a hotel) and cooking or packing our own meals with virtually no eating out. This also includes a hotel stay on the way there an back. Something else to consider is whatever you budget for gas, add 15% percent to that from what I learned. When fully loaded for a trip, these things suck ass on mileage, especially when going through the mountains. Then too gas in Moab is little more expensive than in other areas.

Gas $558.87
Accommodations $1,054.77
Food $228.49
Entertainment & Activities $384.90
Souveigners $435.04

Totals $2,662.07

If you're thinking of renting a place, check out Moab Dreams. That's where we stayed and didn't have any problems. The owner, Marta was great to deal with and the place was clean and fully appointed, not to mention it has a garage if you need to fix something after a day on the trails. Another good site to do your research on is the Moab tourism web site http://www.discovermoab.com/. Lots of good info there as well.

If you need or want additional information feel free to PM me.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 12-09-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Who needs to sleep in a townhouse when you have the perfect comfort of a JEEP??? Ax the souveniers as well, and you now have a $1000 total trip by Kuntz's numbers. I planned on camping the whole trip, though.

I really would like to do a trip to Moab this year, but am taking a wait and see attitude about whether the funds will be there or not. Good luck on your own journey.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #5 of 7 Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Granite Guru

You are dead on on the Gas. I have done this trip 5 times, and always spent around the same on gas, driving an average of 70 mph or so.

I normally spend about $2000, including 9 restaurant meals, sharing a hotel with a buddy, lunch items and souvenirs. That is for a 9 day trip - 4 driving days and 5 wheeling days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

im trying to get a number to shoot for. you could call it a goal. so i can say hey wife its this much, iv got this much and here is some money for you to go shopping. oh yeah see you in 9 days haha and if that was the case meaning the wife didnt go id want to camp out every night. ever since i lifted my first truck iv been wanting to hit up moab. and well im hoping to make it there in a year but i just had a baby boy and the wife is going back to school sooo im hoping it only takes me two years to make it out there. thanks for the replies fellas
Dan
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Wheeler

I'm heading out to Moab from Southern IL late June or early July. Don't know how long I'm staying, but I plan on doing mostly camping and cooking my own meals. This leaves more $ for adult beverages. My trip will have a stop over in the Black Hills for some wheeling there too. I'll worry about the cost later, no telling how much longer the trails will be open before the enviros shut down the Gov lands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode