Axles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdinny
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-31-2019, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Axles

So I have a 07 JKU Sahara. D30 up front. I have been looking at all different axles to replace the d30, I would like to just get a bolt in d44 off of another jk and then regear it along with the rear, add a locker front and rear. Everything I am finding is a brand new d44 already built for like $4k. I would like to do it all myself.

I am not opposed to going to doing a different axle then the d44.

My question is what have you done? What axles are you running, what would you do different?

I know everyone will be saying D60 front 14b rear... looking for any and all options.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-31-2019, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I maxed out the options on drivetrain & my Sahara Unlimited's stock axle housings. Artec everything has continued to keep up w me . I have tried to push it over the edge & am still running midlevel difficulty trails w/ light 37" tires on very light 17" wheels on the ends of the Artec modded D30 .

I'm not saying that is for everyone but it's a common misconception that there is a significant difference in housing strength between the Dana D30 and the Dana D44 used in Jeep JKs / JKUs and there is not. Aside from the R&P size , outters & spline count on shafts , there is no strength advantage for the 44 over the 30.

That being said , the Tera30 or Tera44 or Ultimate 44 from Dana or the Fusion4x4 44/60 hybrid are vastly stronger than the factory housings.

I find this really boilsdown to your bank account & pocket depth. If I could do it over , I would do same thing. Currie or TeraFlex housings are in my future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Ahhhh the bank account, mine wasn't that big so I went with a pair of Mopar crate axles for my Sport.
Perfect for our style of wheeling, and daily driving. 44's, with 4.10's and e-lockers. The rear included brakes, the front did not.
The pair was 4K, and I got 1200 bucks for my 30/44 with open diffs and 3.21's. Probably cost me 100 bucks to wire them up.
Matt1114 likes this.

JK

WAL sucks
JOIN THE NRA NOW!
Black Guns Matter!!!
Support your 2nd amendment rights!!
MAGA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-03-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am thinking I can just pick up a D60 for a few hundred dollars and then throw that in there with an aussie locker and do the same for the rear.

Matt
post #5 of 8 Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 AM
JKO Addict!

There is a lot more than just buying a junk yard axle and throwing it on. Before you are all done you will likely have $4-7K in an axle and the stuff you need to adapt it to the JK. Call Dan at Fusion 4x4 he is in your state and builds some really nice axles. He can answer all your questions.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 08:40 AM
JKO Addict!

The Fusion4x4 axles are awesome.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1114 View Post
I am thinking I can just pick up a D60 for a few hundred dollars and then throw that in there with an aussie locker and do the same for the rear.

Everyone explained in your other thread that "throw that in there" is a several thousand dollar generalization. I think that you should either A) Create the parts excel sheet as prescribed in your other thread, and allocate funds for the cost you come up with from that. Create it and post it up and those of us who have done the swap can offer some advice on things to save costs on, things you're missing, etc., B) Keep your eyes peeled for a rubi take off for a pretty simple swap, or C) Start pricing out the D44 offerings from fusion4x4.

Nothing stopping you from getting junkyard axles on stands in your garage and slowly compiling the parts necessary to adapt them to your JK. It's just going to cost more than you think, as stated several times.

Again though, I haven't seen in either of your "Axles" threads, what your intended use for the jeep is. This tidbit of information will allow us to offer much more accurate advice.

Chase Weston
post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

It sounds like you have the money and means to build some wontons and you want to run 40s. Seems like you answered your own question.

If you really don't plan on taking the jeep off road, i think a beefed up 44 would be fine. If i we're doing it all over, I'd probably try Fusion based on the experience of others. I have a 4 door with UD60s and a 2 door with PR60s. They both have held up well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode