Recieved my Safety Recall J30 and got it fixed... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Recieved my Safety Recall J30 and got it fixed...

This week got a recall notice from Chrysler that my 2008 Jeep Wrangler is a part of the safety recall. Evediently there is a problem with automatic transmision fluid overheating and catching fire. So called the local dealer to setup an appointment for them to fix problem and took them about 30 minutes to fix. All they did was reflash the computer so that when the temperature of the transmission fluid gets to hot it now gives you a warning on the instrument cluster "Hot Oil" or something. The recommendation when this happens is to pull over park the vehicle and let vehicle idle till warning light goes off... To me this doesn't sound like a fix, but a way to stop the problem before it gets out of hand. May be something with other 2008 Jeep Wrangler automatic owners to watch for and keep an eye on or check if their vehicle is a part of the recall.

Oh another this for those that have the Superchip Programmers when you change it back to stock it does not change everything back. I modified TPMS to turn off and dealer asked me how I was able to program the TPMS sensor off. Before going to the dealer I did what Superchip said to return vehicle back to stock only because they said they were going to reflash the computer and didn't want any issues, but they were nice enough to bring this to my attention that it looks like someone modified the computer somehow.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Wheeler

Nice. Gotta love it. I got my letter, but have been busy, and being that they arent FIXING anything, I'll get there when I get there. Would be nice if they actually figured out what the hell is wrong.

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will never be disappointed." ME

'08 Unlimited X - Stone White - Hardtop - Auto - 3.73 Gears - 17's - 3" Fabtech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I havent brought mine in yet.

I agree this is definitely not a fix, more like jeep covering themselves incase more auto jk's go on fire, I will be installing a trans cooler eventually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

RECALL FAIL
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

Unfortunatly I found out about the recall from my wife after I had been complaining about my check engine light being on and had just noticed smoke coming out from under the f*cking hood!

Getting the "Bullsh*t" fix done on Tuesday but im wondering what the hell I can do fix it instead of just pulling over like a damn idiot and waiting for it to cool down.

It is more comfortable for me, in the long run, to be rude than polite.

08 2dr x model (Because I'm cheap)
Some dark red color....no it's not purple
Bigger than stock tires, winch front bumper and some other expensive sh*t to make my jeep look cool...(sold my children to afford it all)
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJKproject View Post
Unfortunatly I found out about the recall from my wife after I had been complaining about my check engine light being on and had just noticed smoke coming out from under the f*cking hood!

Getting the "Bullsh*t" fix done on Tuesday but im wondering what the hell I can do fix it instead of just pulling over like a damn idiot and waiting for it to cool down.
Well that sucks... I think that Chryslers fix is not really a fix for this problem. I can't wait to get out wheeling and have that darn light come on also and have to wait for my jeep light to go off.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Well be careful what you wish for, I did the updat last week and all seemed great until this weekend and I had the stereo playing while I cleaned all the baby crackers and such out of the jeep took about 30 minutes to wipe it all down with 303 whent to start it and clicky clicky, pissed the hell off. Jumped off easy and no issue since Saturday, maybe a fluke but still kinda outa the blue.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Wheeler

To fix the problem you will need to buy a transmission oil cooler and add it to the front of the radiator. Continue to run the line through the radiator also. Their problem is for you to fix it!!!

I have not got my letter as of yet. When I do get it I will insist a real fix. Living in the Southwest as I do. I will tell them that I will not sit in the 120 degree heat if the desert waiting for the transmission to cool down. This is a life threating situation they would put you into. I would do this in a letter form with a statement that your family has a copy of the letter and will follow through should anything happen to you. That changing the computer is not a fix!!! It is covering them from having to replace a transmission because the oil got to hot.

Just my $.02

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

760-415-7071
post #9 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Wheeler

Ok I talked to a Dealer and they said the problem is not that it gets hot. the problem they are fixing is that the computer is not telling you if it does get hot. So they are just changing the program to tell you what it sould have told you in the first place...

2008 JK Rubicon 4" Lift
37" x 12.5 x 18s
LOD Offroad Bumpers and Rails
Back up Camera
Nav/Dvd
Smitty Built Winch

It's a Rock Get Over It!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Rock God

Got mine today, i havent got any problems w my JK, ive had tow up tp 3700 pounds and it feels ok. Im always checking just in case. Thats why i went w the tow package. But i asked what is this flash all about and like Highrlr said, is supposed to tell you know when it gets hot before it starts overflowing into the exhaust.

JKOutcast Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode