OH Side Marker Laws? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

OH Side Marker Laws?

Been looking around for laws pertaining to side markers, fender lights etc for Ohio. Have seen many threads talking about no fender laws, but what about side marker lights? If I get flat fenders, do I need to get a new body mounted fender light for the front? Anyone info from anyone who is a cop of knows the specific laws would be greatly appreciated.

Stella - 2011 Sahara Unlimited
Upgrades: Trektop NX, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Kit
Upgrades to Come: 2.5 inch Teraflex Suspension Lift Kit, 18 inch Rugged Ridge 18x9 Hub-Centric Wheels, 35x11.00R18LT Goodyear Wrangler MT-R, Bumpers and Rails still to be decided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-07-2014, 04:18 AM
Rock God

This may not be much help, since I can't site specific laws. However, what I've always been told is that the blinker/turn signal light must be visible from the side of the vehicle. On some vehicles the light just wraps around the corner of the bumper enough that you can see it from the side. It seems like the rear light of the Wrangler satisfies this requirement by having the rear turn signal being visible from the side of the light housing.

Edit: Here is the code for turn signals. It says the turn signals shall show to the front and rear of the vehicle, and on the side of the vehicle towards which the turn is to be made. So yeah, the turn signals have to be visible from the side. Doesn't say you need a side marker light. Hope this helps.

4501-15-10 Directional signals.
(A) Directional signals shall be constructed and installed so as to provide adequate and reliable illumination and shall conform to the S.A.E. standards for turn signal lamps.

(B) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under section 4511.39 of the Revised Code shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles, on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light to the front and red or amber to the rear. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of not less than three hundred feet in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

Edited my post above slightly to make more sense now that I've read more of the laws. Sorry for any initial confusion I caused.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-08-2014 at 04:01 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post

...and on the side of the vehicle towards which the turn is to be made. So yeah, the turn signals have to be visible from the side.
Oh, the irony.
JKs, produced in Ohio, don't have side-visible turn indicators.
???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Oh, the irony.
JKs, produced in Ohio, don't have side-visible turn indicators.
???
The tail light housing in the back has a spot on the side that makes the turn signal visible from the side. If you install aftermarket tail lights that don't have the side view turn signal window/light you wouldn't be legal in Ohio.

I honestly never noticed that the fender flare light was a marker only and not a turn signal. Since the front fender flare light is just a marker, it doesn't seem like you need that. The section on marker/parking lights simply said they have to provide "adequate illumination" and the lights themselves must comply with SAE standards. It doesn't say they have to be visible from the side. You may be ok getting rid of the fender flare lights all together. I'll check the section on marker lights again, and maybe post a link to the codes/laws as well.

Most flat flares I've seen either come with built in lights, or have some provision for adding a small side marker light.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Rock God

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-15

Here is the list of the Ohio lighting laws. The section on marker lamps only specifies rules for various commercial vehicles, tractors, travel trailers, motor homes, etc.

The section which just says "Parking Lights" only says they must provide adequate illumination and the lights must meet SAE standards.

The turn signal being visible from the side seems covered by the rear turn signal.

According to that site it doesn't seem that you need the side marker light. I will check around some more though just for my own curiosity.

Edit: I found a summery of the lighting requirements for passing vehicle inspection in Ohio and all it mentioned was turn signals (including being visible from the side, which the rear light on the Wrangler covers), headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and license plate illumination light. It talked about the required color, number, spacing and mounting location of each of these lights, but there was nothing about side marker lights.

It did say that all commercial busses, trucks, tractors, trailers, semi-trailers, and pole trailers shall have marker lights, clearance lights and reflectors in accordance with the revised code (the code is listed in the site I showed above). There was nothing saying any of these were required on passenger vehicles.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-08-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode